Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Mick was totally wrong about SUVs

The Mick was totally wrong about SUVs
Thread Tools
quote68
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 01:50 AM
 
He claimed that he posted a link that debunked all the anti SUV propaganda, but it was along the same lines as "Farhenheight 911" or some other obviously skewed propaganda. Mick is basically trying to prove something illogical (that SUVS aren't bad at all and it's only dirty hippies that complain) but the truth is that the cold hard facts are on my side. SUVs are deadly machines.

The Mick loses, and here's why:

http://www.net-monster.com/blather_suvs_part2.html

Failure in logic= I WIN.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Cubeoid
Baninated
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dead whale
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 01:53 AM
 
Nice one!
     
Warung
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the streets have no names...
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:06 AM
 
Hasn't the SUV fad been over for years now?

Get over it folks, - most people don't need "utility" vehicles.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?
     
Rolling Bones
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Six feet under and diggin' it.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:12 AM
 
Mini vans are great.

I have a Plymouth Voyager. Luv it!

Admit it, unless you live in an area where half the year it's pretty handy to have...it's a penis thing.

[img]pic of small penis.jpg[/img]
     
Cubeoid
Baninated
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dead whale
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:14 AM
 
Penis..heh
     
brapper
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:15 AM
 
but but but it's UTILITY!!! utility is good, RIGHT? who doesn't need UTILITY?
I'm ever so confused!
     
Cubeoid
Baninated
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dead whale
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by brapper
but but but it's UTILITY!!! utility is good, RIGHT? who doesn't need UTILITY?
I'm ever so confused!
Don't worry mate, you'll figure it out.
     
Agasthya
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by brapper
but but but it's UTILITY!!! utility is good, RIGHT? who doesn't need UTILITY?
I'm ever so confused!
Economics states that everyone is seeking to maximize their utility. Perhaps this explains the SUV craze.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Mini vans are great.

I have a Plymouth Voyager. Luv it!

Admit it, unless you live in an area where half the year it's pretty handy to have...it's a penis thing.

[img]pic of small penis.jpg[/img]
I'll get a minivan someday. But it won't be stock.







300+hp in a 3500lb minivan = cool.
( Last edited by quote68; Oct 5, 2005 at 02:43 AM. )
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 02:53 AM
 
I own a minivan. Love it. I wish I owned two of them.
     
Cubeoid
Baninated
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dead whale
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 03:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader
I wish I owned two of them.
I wish you owned three.
     
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 04:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by quote68




seriously awesome, and no one would know (well 'cept for the WOOOSH)

I saw one at the track running a high 13 second quarter mile

really fun(ny) stuff
ice
     
sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 04:34 AM
 
pussies. this is a real van.



sminch
     
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: missing
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 05:35 AM
 
Renault Space

Last month, I was driving in a Spanish high way at 180 km/h when a black kick ass french minivan like that passed me like crazy. It was doing 210-220 km/h easy.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-
     
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 05:55 AM
 
I'm not much a fan of SUVs, but I find the "dangerous to other cars" thing to be ridiculous and irrelevant. People choose their cars for their own reasons, and it is not their responsibility to consider all other drivers on the road when doing so. if it were, then it would be irresponsible to buy a car at all, because you might hit a pedestrian.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 06:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cubeoid
I wish you owned three.
I don't have room for three. Nope. I wish I had two is all.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 07:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by quote68
The Mick loses, and here's why:

http://www.net-monster.com/blather_suvs_part2.html

Failure in logic= I WIN.
So Mick loses because someone other than you posted a web page that also just gives his opinions on SUVs. And posts articles of people who agree with him on said issue.

None that disagree with him however. (There are people who disagree that also have valid facts that go against his, how about that!)

Yeah you win alright.

This reminds me of the times you tried to prove your biased views on the Bible by posting a web page of someone that did a page similar to the one you posted above.

SO IT MUST BE TRUE!

     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 07:41 AM
 
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 07:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not much a fan of SUVs, but I find the "dangerous to other cars" thing to be ridiculous and irrelevant. People choose their cars for their own reasons, and it is not their responsibility to consider all other drivers on the road when doing so. if it were, then it would be irresponsible to buy a car at all, because you might hit a pedestrian.
Quoted from Rob's link:

One of the leading reasons people give for owning an SUV is they want to "feel safe." I can't begin to express to you how much this attitude pisses me off. Because what they're really saying is they want to feel safe by riding in a vehicle so large and heavy that, in the event of an accident, the passengers of the other vehicle will absorb all of the injuries. Don't bother trying to tell me SUV drivers aren't aware of the dangers they're posing to other people. Anyone who sees an Explorer parked next to a real car knows exactly what would happen if the two collided. What's worse, it's this awareness that is actually the true selling point of the vehicle. When confronted with this, the SUV driver will typically squirm, and say, "I'm a careful driver, so I'll never have an accident." But if they're driving an SUV to "feel safe," that means they're already thinking in terms of surviving a crash. If you're never going to get into an accident, you'd be just as safe riding in a hatchback, now wouldn't you?
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 07:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
So Mick loses because someone other than you posted a web page that also just gives his opinions on SUVs. And posts articles of people who agree with him on said issue.
Kevin, read the article again. While he is indeed stating his opinion, he is backing it up with independently collected data. That's good practice and gives him credibility.
     
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 08:28 AM
 
quote68:

You have a real problem, don't you?

You are obsessed with hating SUVs.

I hate minivans. Soccer moms and whiny brats drive them all of the time where I live and I despise them.

So, maybe I should start a thread about how minivans suck?

No.

BECAUSE I COULD CARE LESS WHAT PEOPLE DRIVE.

Seriously, see a shrink about your little problem.

     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 08:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
BECAUSE I COULD CARE LESS WHAT PEOPLE DRIVE.
Up until the second you crash into them.

Cody:

If you were ever in an accident (God forbid), which would you rather collide with: a tank, or a mini cooper?

Tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't care.


Aside from that, I agree with your assessment regarding Rob's therapy needs.
     
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 09:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by cenutrio
Renault Space

Last month, I was driving in a Spanish high way at 180 km/h when a black kick ass french minivan like that passed me like crazy. It was doing 210-220 km/h easy.
Espace, not Space. And yes that car rocks, my dad has a full option 3.0 litre diesel. It hauls (for a van). And it looks really cool, well all Renaults look cool anyway.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr
     
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 09:31 AM
 
analogika:

You're one cool cat and in my book.

And, you know what else?

YOU'RE RIGHT:

I've said before I'd rather hit or be hit in my Suburban than a mini-cooper, you're right.

     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 09:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I've said before I'd rather hit or be hit in my Suburban than a mini-cooper, you're right.

Not hit IN, hit BY.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 09:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap
Kevin, read the article again. While he is indeed stating his opinion, he is backing it up with independently collected data. That's good practice and gives him credibility.
Mastrap, so if I post a page that does the SAME THING but FOR SUVs (There are many pages out there that does) does it suddenly negate this page?

What I am saying is, just because Rob found a page that supports his views, that doesn't mean other people cannot do the same thing that has THE OPPOSITE view.

As a matter of fact, it has been done many times.

So this shows really nothing.

And I would rather be hit by an SUV than a tractor trailer. Lets take all teh semis off the road NOW!!!!

That logic is silly.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 10:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
And I would rather be hit by an SUV than a tractor trailer. Lets take all teh semis off the road NOW!!!!

That logic is silly.
That's because, as usual, you're arguing idiocy, not logic.

Most of the semis on the road are being used for purposes only semis are adequately suited to. Do you understand the difference between a necessary evil and a superfluous threat?
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 10:32 AM
 
IBCR.

-t
     
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: In the South
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
 
blah blah blah
     
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Working. What about you?
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 10:40 AM
 
Yeah.

blah blah blah.

Great thread.

+1.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika
That's because, as usual, you're arguing idiocy, not logic.
That's what I just said wasn't it? That said arguement was idiocy because there are other many more dangerous vehicles out on the road than an SUV. Thanks for agreeing with me.

There is nothing "logical" about said arguement. As a matter of fact, it's really not even an arguement. The whole "I am afraid of being hit by an SUV, so you shouldn't buy one or they shouldn't be sold" arguement is PURE IDIOCY.
Most of the semis on the road are being used for purposes only semis are adequately suited to. Do you understand the difference between a necessary evil and a superfluous threat?
I would say being afraid of SUVs is a superfluous threat.

I hope it doesn't keep you up at night.

The drama in here is just unbelievable sometimes.

Someone should make a "Attack of the SUVs" movie. Like Jaws but use SUVs.

Catar to the market of people that fear them.
     
The Mick
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:01 PM
 
I'm only going to post in this thread once, and only because I was directly attacked by name.

2 months ago I posted several links to the US Department of Transportation, the NHTSA and Edmunds.com that directly refuted most of the loud-mouth whinings against SUVs that Rob constantly makes around here. If anyone is interested they can read the thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2658551
I have no interest in rehashing the same argument ad nasuem.

Rob, this isn't a win/lose contest, it's a discussion. If you are unable to acknowledge independent empirical data that goes against you then you are too immature to continue the discussion. You proved that 2 months ago by running away with your tail between your legs when I presented you with the afformentioned empirical evidence. The only leg you have to stand on is the SUVs get worse gas mileage, but even that you blow out of proportion.

What is even worse is how hypocritical you are about the whole subject when you admit you cut off the catalytic converter on your own car. Then you brag about going 100+ MPH on a regular basis, and get torqued off when I show you even more independent empirical data showing how speed is the number one killer on our American roadways.

Your thought processes are irrational, your argumentative style is erratic and your logic is blatantly juevenile. Until you grow up and can debate the issue like an adult, I simply cannot talk to you any more.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not much a fan of SUVs, but I find the "dangerous to other cars" thing to be ridiculous and irrelevant. People choose their cars for their own reasons, and it is not their responsibility to consider all other drivers on the road when doing so. if it were, then it would be irresponsible to buy a car at all, because you might hit a pedestrian.
I find the idea that cars are even allowed to be so blatently incompatible disgusting. If you are in an SUV, you're not only more likely to kill yourself, you're more likely to hurt other people. It's a sign of stupidity and selfish thinking.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap
Kevin, read the article again. While he is indeed stating his opinion, he is backing it up with independently collected data. That's good practice and gives him credibility.
Zimphire is smart but his logic and reasoning is kinda iffy. Must be a lose wire or something, eh turns it off whenever he starts thinking about jesus and stuff.

And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.
-Thomas Jefferson
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Mick
Rob, this isn't a win/lose contest, it's a discussion. If you are unable to acknowledge independent empirical data that goes against you then you are too immature to continue the discussion.
Just like I said in my first post in here. His data doesn't suddenly debunk yours because it says something different. Esp when both claim to be "backed by facts"
What is even worse is how hypocritical you are about the whole subject when you admit you cut off the catalytic converter on your own car. Then you brag about going 100+ MPH on a regular basis, and get torqued off when I show you even more independent empirical data showing how speed is the number one killer on our American roadways.
Yes, he is just picking and choosing. Much like most of the anti-SUV crowd in here. They will side along with ANY SUV rant no matter how silly or biased it is.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
quote68:

You have a real problem, don't you?

You are obsessed with hating SUVs.

I hate minivans. Soccer moms and whiny brats drive them all of the time where I live and I despise them.
You mean women who feel the need to get a vehicle because they get knocked up so easy that the pop out 4 kids and expect the world to just accept their lame vehicle decisions?

Yeah, I hate them too. Except I'm talking about you.

So, maybe I should start a thread about how minivans suck?

No.

BECAUSE THATS WHAT I SHOULD REALLY BE DRIVING SINCE I NEVER GO OFFROADING!!!!!
Fixed. You still haven't told us what kind of boat you have, or how your horse trailer weighs 8 tons. Or how often you actually do those things (I'm guessing close to never).
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by quote68
I find the idea that cars are even allowed to be so blatently incompatible disgusting. If you are in an SUV, you're not only more likely to kill yourself, you're more likely to hurt other people. It's a sign of stupidity and selfish thinking.
No, this post is pretty stupid and selfish.

I know people that wanted to BAN pools in their neighborhoods. Why? Her kid drowned in one one day when she wasn't watching him.

So now everyone's pool is evil, and no one is allowed to own one according to her.

Same type of backassward logic.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:09 PM
 
Some blokes like fat cars and slim chicks. Some blokes like slim cars and fat chicks. End of story.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
What I am saying is, just because Rob found a page that supports his views, that doesn't mean other people cannot do the same thing that has THE OPPOSITE view.

And I would rather be hit by an SUV than a tractor trailer. Lets take all teh semis off the road NOW!!!!

That logic is silly.
Noooo. Your logic is silly. Here's why. You mention other pages. The problem is they do not have logic, reasoning, and factual data to back up their flawed viewpoints. I have all of them to back up mine. Kinda like finding a webpage that says 'JESUS IS EVERYBODYS SAVIOR AND HE DIED FOR OUR SINS AND HE WAS GODS SON AND GOD AT THE SAME TIME AND GOD USED TO BE AN ASSHOLE BUT NOW HE ISNT AND THATS JUST "CUZ" AND YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT!" doesn't mean that makes any sense to a rational person.

And then you bring up semis, which is just retarded. First off, driving a semi requires special training and a completely differnet license, BECAUSE THEY ARE SO MUCH MORE DANGEROUS. Secondly, I DONT SEE ANY SOCCER MOMS AND SUBURBAN DADS RUSHING OUT TO PURCHASE A FREIGHTLINER TO USE AS DAILY TRANSPORTATION so your point is ****ing moot, as usual.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy
Some blokes like fat cars and slim chicks. Some blokes like slim cars and fat chicks. End of story.
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DATE FAT CHICKS. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!111

They can you know, sit on you and kill you. Or if they run into you, could cause more damage and harm than think chicks.

BTW Rob, you think you are going to win an arguement by posting tons of lame personal attacks?

Does your wife know you act like this?

BTW here is a bit of reality for you to chew on.

SUVs aren't going to be banned. People who want them will continue to want and buy them.

Life will go on.

So I suggest if this bothers you, you go to your nearest department store and buy a nice firm pillow to bite on.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Yeah.

blah blah blah.

Great thread.

+1.
Well the good news is that you and your family are 3 times more likely to die, so hopefull that will happen before any of your kids with at least 50% bad genetic material have the chance to reproduce and spread stupidity to the rest of the world.

Still waiting on the tongue weights and size of the boat, etc. And how often you actually do that. But you won't answer, because you really don't NEED your SUV.
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
BTW Rob, you think you are going to win an arguement by posting tons of lame personal attacks?

Does your wife know you act like this?
I have a theory that she's the cause of it. See, if he wasn't so pussy-whipped he wouldn't act like he does.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
quote68  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [b]orn in the usa
Status: Offline
Oct 5, 2005, 12:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin
That's what I just said wasn't it? That said arguement was idiocy because there are other many more dangerous vehicles out on the road than an SUV.
But the problem in your reasoning is that tractor trailers are not being used as minivan replacements. They're being used for purposes in which ONLY a tractor trailer is able to do. Just like, if I wanted to go offroading with a lot of people and gear, I'd get an SUV. If I wanted to drive fast, I'd get a sports car. If I wanted enough utility to haul a lot of people but was traveling on the road, I'd get a minivan or station wagon. I do not see ANY trends of people purchasing tons of huge freightliners to use as daily transportation, and EVEN IF THEY DID, they would require a big chunk of time for special training in order to obtain a CDL, greatly reducing the risk to other drivers.


There is nothing "logical" about said arguement. As a matter of fact, it's really not even an arguement. The whole "I am afraid of being hit by an SUV, so you shouldn't buy one or they shouldn't be sold" arguement is PURE IDIOCY.
Hey your right. We shouldn't even have crash beams in the doors of your neon. Who cares, if you claim that you're afraid of getting hit by something and dying, it's pure idiocy, right?
dual G4 overclocked, blessed, and liquid cooled with jesus water. +5 to ogres and paladins! Nyar!
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,