Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > permission to run software update?

permission to run software update?
sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 05:11 AM

i've been trying to use software update but it's refusing to work, giving me the following error message:

The update "iTunes" could not be verified and expanded correctly. Make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, then try again.

i'm logged in as admin, have restarted my mac a few times, and have run yasu and mac janitor to try to resolve this, but it doesn't make any difference. i've looked for this path and can't find it so can't dive in to check the permissions, but yasu has the option to reset permissions so i'd have expected this to have been sorted anyway. this is on 10.3.9 if that makes any difference...

if anyone can offer any advice that would be brilliant!

cheers,

sminch

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 05:13 AM

Have you gone to that location and manually verified you have the proper permissions?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 01:22 PM

This is the sort of problem where running Repair Permissions (from Disk Utility) is actually applicable. I'd try that, then check the permissions of the folder manually. Unfortunately, Apple likes to make a lot of stuff on your disk invisible these days, but you can check the permissions either with the Terminal, or you can use the Finder by typing Command-Shift-G and typing in the path to get past the invisible folders.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sminch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 01:26 PM

hi big mac. yeah, i tried to find the location through finder and couldn't even work out what or where it was - unless i'm being completely retarded, it doesn't seem to exist. finder doesn't find any directory called "temporaryitems", and while i can find two folders called "501", neither has any subdirectories of its own...

sminch

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2007, 01:51 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules