Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MagSafe question

MagSafe question
danielsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2009, 03:47 AM

Upon getting home today from the local Barnes and Nobles, I pulled my Macbook out of my bag and placed it on my desk. Afterwards, I took my power adapter out, only to find out that the break away part was missing, and most likely stuck in the power outlet inside the cafe from which I came.

My question: Would it cause any damage if I used a cable from my Thinkpads power adapter and plugged it into the MagSafe to charge my computer until I can get the other half of my adapter back? It works fine, I just want to make sure it's not going to cause any damage before I use it any longer. Thanks in advance.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2009, 05:44 AM

That's not going to be an issue at all. In fact it's a popular poor man's solution for traveling abroad.

If you attach it through such a cable you won't be grounding your MB (unlike Apple's cable), but if you were using the duck bill adapter before you weren't grounded anyway.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2009, 05:56 AM

You should have no issues. I use the same method you propose pretty much all of the time, due to an OOW failure with the original Magsafe cable for one of my Macbook Pros. (Live in France so it is 50:50 to have earthing on sockets outside big cities).

Forum Links
Forum Rules