Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal and Google Calendar Sync/Delete Bug

iCal and Google Calendar Sync/Delete Bug
mlboll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2011, 10:18 AM

Has anyone heard when there will be a resolution on getting iCal to sync properly with Google Calendars again? With the implementation of iCloud I understand that the iCal DELETE commands were causing massive data loss on some calendars, so Google shut down that command. If you delete something in iCal and it sends the DELETE command to Google, your syncs stop working and you get connection errors from that point on.

Currently, the only solution is to use the web interface to Google Calendars to keep your calendars managed. This renders iCal as a view-only tool and many users frustrated. I didn't find any discussions about the issue on the forums here, and I'm surprised it's taking this long to get the issue resolved.

Thanks!

Here is the official Google notice about:
Setting up iCloud sync has caused events to be wiped from Google Calendar for some of our users who were syncing information between iCal and Google Calendar. In response, we've stopped deleting the information until this issue is fixed. Until further notice, deleting any event in iCal will not remove this event from Google Calendar (for iCal 4 users, all changes made after a delete attempt will not be saved in Google Calendar). We've contacted Apple and we are actively working on this. We're also attempting to restore the deleted events. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'll keep you posted. As a workaround, we suggest you remove event in the Web version of Google Calendar (calendar.google.com). This change would be properly synced with your iCal.

andi*pandi
Oct 27, 2011, 04:21 PM

I have a different problem, items in my google calendars are getting perpetuated throughout my other calendars so I have multiples. Yay.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2011, 04:48 PM

To clarify, there is no bug in Google Calendar as the title suggests - the current deletion block was put in place deliberately to protect Google Calendar users.

To say that it makes Google Calendar 'read only' is a little disingenuous, as you can still create all types of events (daily, timed, recurring), invite guests to meetings, receive invitations and respond - in fact perform all actions as normal in iCal... with the exception of deleting events directly through the iCal interface.

The deletion block was put in place to protect users from any unintended consequences of the Apple iCloud release, such as event loss or deletion, which would undoubtedly have been much worse than the current situation.

While there is no time frame for the 'safety net/block' to be removed, I know ( ) that it is being very actively looked at, so would recommend to keep an eye on the Google Calendar help forums over the next few days...

TPC

(If you have specific concerns over Google Calendar, feel free to PM me directly)
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Oct 27, 2011 at 05:00 PM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have a different problem, items in my google calendars are getting perpetuated throughout my other calendars so I have multiples. Yay.
Hi andi*pandi - if you have a free few minutes, please do feel free to PM me about this, as I'd love to hear the details as to how you have the accounts set up, and see what is causing the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules