Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > OWC commences pre-orders for externally powered USB-C dock

OWC commences pre-orders for externally powered USB-C dock
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 8, 2015, 04:45 PM

Upgrade company OWC announced today the OWC USB-C Dock. Available for immediate pre-order, the new 11-port adorned powered OWC USB-C Dock provides a complete connectivity solution for the 2015 Apple MacBook and other computers that utilize USB-C ports.

Available in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold, the OWC USB-C Dock provides eleven ports. USB ports included are two high-power USB Type-A ports for fast mobile device charging, two USB Type-A ports, and one USB Type-C port. Also on the dock are one full-speed Gigabit Ethernet port, one 4K-capable HDMI port, a SD card reader, audio in, audio out, and one USB-C port to connect to the host machine.

Included with every OWC USB-C Dock is an 80 watt power adapter. The included 80 watt adapter shipping with the new Dock is capable of powering not only the new MacBook but also all of the USB peripherals users will attach.

The OWC USB-C Dock is currently available for pre-order at the OWC website. Delivery of the dock is scheduled for the fall of 2015. The OWC USB-C Dock is priced at $129.00 for a limited time during the pre-order period.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 8, 2015 at 04:45 PM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2015, 07:08 AM

no DisplayPort and Thunderbolt output? Also why just one USB-C port? people will eventually have multiple USB-C devices but the new MacBook only comes with one port...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 9, 2015, 07:31 AM

How would it have Thunderbolt output? Thunderbolt = 20Gb/s, USB-C generation = 5Gb/s. I suspect DisplayPort to HDMI is a choice of installed base of monitors - WAY more HDMI than DisplayPort.

Yeah, the lack of USB-C ports is... intriguing.

JeffHarris
Jun 9, 2015, 11:28 AM

Agreed, a weird lack of ports.

I have one of the Thunderbolt 2 docks. The only I have is it only has 2 Thunderbolt ports. Once I connect a jumper cable to my MacBook Pro, I only have one extra port. Pretty lame, I must say. Still, it's a useful device. I'm not so sure about this USB-C device, at least for the near future.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2015, 06:18 PM

FireWire: the lack of USB-C ports on this dock is very easy to explain: it's a transitional device. It's sole function is to help a MacBook buyer adapt their current equipment which uses "old" USB to this MacBook. Over time, all that equipment will be replaced with wireless stuff or a USB-C hub when new peripherals have USB-C as standard ... just as most people have replaced FireWire stuff over the years. That's it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 11:46 AM

Not a bad product, reasonable price. (Esp considering that a bloody USB-C cable from Apple is $80!)

This moves a potential MacBook purchase idea for me from "No, better not" to "Yeah, maybe".
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules