Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Please - Wireless Router recommendations

Please - Wireless Router recommendations
Nostrildomus
Nov 30, 2002, 11:11 PM

I have searched similar threads here, as well as many internet sites & found vague information on the best hardware for setting up a wirless network. I am buying my daughter a used iMac for Christmas [from someone on these boards] . I think I want to buy an wireless router to hook up to my iMac/cable modem & the buy an Airport card for her computer. I am looking for suggestions on a good reliable/ compatible router (actual model number). The Airport Base is just too spendy for my blood. I would appreciate some suggestions on hardware or other possible set-ups. This board has always come through in the past. Thanks in Advance.

I am not a bright individual and require simple instructions .
[email protected]

Note - I will be running OS 9.2.2 on both computers.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2002, 09:42 PM

There are just so many products out there, it's hard to know much about more than a couple.

The Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router is a good choice. It has a browser-based setup that makes it platform independent, even for configuring. The Speedstream 2623 from Siemens is also a good choice, and also uses a browser-based setup. Neither of these products state that they support AppleTalk, so if you need that, they're out.

One simple rule to follow is this: if the product is "WiFi" or "802.11b" compatible, it'll work with AirPort (which is simply Apple's brand name for 802.11b-compatible wireless networking equipment). Shop for that, find the price and features you need and want. Most of us on these forums have our own prejudices and favorites, so asking for "the best..." is really only likely to get a flame war started!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeffnudi
Dec 1, 2002, 11:47 PM

I may be way off here, but with OS 10.2, is it possible to have a virtual AirPort network with just an AirPort card in the iMac connected to the internet, and an AirPort card in the iBook? I was looking into this back in January when I was looking to purchase my iBook and wanted to network it with my G4. The virtual AirPort did not work with OS 10.1. If this works under 10.2, then the AirPort card and 10.2 should cost about $200.

hawiken
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2002, 05:01 AM

I have a G4 350 with an airport card, and an iBook, also with an airport card, no base station. The G4 connects to the internet via dial up, and the iBook shares the internet connection via the 'Sharing' system preference>internet>start internet sharing, and make sure that you check the box "Share your internet connection with airport equipped computers". Both computers are running 10.2.2. Hope that this helps,
Ken

Nostrildomus  (op)
Dec 2, 2002, 05:35 AM

Ken,

Thanks for the info., but I will be running OS 9.2.2 for a bit longer & that isn't an option. Someday I will be forced to upgrade to OS X, but some of my peripherals aren't compatible [ie- scanner].

Be Safe

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Dec 2, 2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Nostrildomus:
Ken,

Thanks for the info., but I will be running OS 9.2.2 for a bit longer & that isn't an option. Someday I will be forced to upgrade to OS X, but some of my peripherals aren't compatible [ie- scanner].

Be Safe
Is your scanner worth that much that you are not willing to make the upgrade? Doesn't your scanner work in Classic if you needed it to?

hawiken
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 10:58 PM

I believe that you can set up your desktop computer in 9.2.2 to act as a base station using the airport setup assistant. Of course the desktop will have to be on when you use the other airport equipped computer, and both computers have to have airport cards...I got my cards from OWC- they were 'first pulls'and cost about $60 apiece, plus shipping (yeah, ALWAYS plus shipping) but OWC doesn't always have them in stock...Use the Control Panels>Appletalk control panel; from the the pop-up menu choose Airport as the connection method. Make sure that Appletalk is active. This is from OS9: The Missing Manual, David Pogue. I've never tried it myself. Hope that this helps, and Happy Holidays,too!
Ken
( Last edited by hawiken; Dec 3, 2002 at 11:05 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules