Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Appletalk is not enabled, even though SysPrefs show it should be

Appletalk is not enabled, even though SysPrefs show it should be
robot prom
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 06:13 PM

I'm trying to get connected to a printer through Appletalk, and when I try to add it via Print Center, it says Appletalk is not active. When i go to the Network panel, Appletalk is checked.

When I check the status of Appletalk in the Terminal, it says "The AppleTalk stack is not Running".

Any ideas? I've turned off Appletalk in the Network panel, rebooted, turned it back on, and nothing.

And I can't set up this printer as an IP printer, so please don't suggest that.

topcat
May 20, 2003, 06:49 PM

Some things to try: Is the appletalk network actually working? Print Center can give that message if the network in down, even if the box is checked in System Prefs. Are you connected to the internet over the same cabling/wireless network? If the network is physically intact, try connecting to other printers/computers over appletalk. Also check to see if another computer on the net can see the printer or your computer through appletalk. That may give you a better idea of where the problem is.

robot prom  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 06:57 PM

sorry, should have clarified some more:

the network is working, both wired and wireless ones. On my desktop machine (the problem machine), I am able to get an IP from my router, and am able to connect to the internet. My desktop machine can't see the printer or the other computers over the network, while it usually it can when everything's hunky dory.

The two other Macs (ibook and a G3 PB, connected over airport) in the house can see the printer over the network, and print fine.

I'm pretty sure it's Appletalk on desktop machine. It's gotten itself turned off on a very deep system level somewhere. The terminal reports that it is off, even though the Network panel says it's on.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 07:02 PM

Look in Directory Access in the Utilities folder. It may be disabled there.

robot prom  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 07:23 PM

i fixed it, by fishing around in the Terminal. Basically I had to manually turn Appletalk on in the Terminal.

Here's the command line if anyone ever needs it:

sudo appletalk -u en0

en0 is ethernet, en1 is airport

do a man appletalk if you want to see all the commands.

works great now!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by robot prom:
i fixed it, by fishing around in the Terminal. Basically I had to manually turn Appletalk on in the Terminal.

Here's the command line if anyone ever needs it:

sudo appletalk -u en0

en0 is ethernet, en1 is airport

do a man appletalk if you want to see all the commands.

works great now!
Possibly Appletalk was on - but on th Airport instead of ethernet? AppleTalk can only be active on ONE network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules