Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > New Simple Aqua variation.

New Simple Aqua variation.
Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 02:36 AM

Ok as some of you know that I have been making variations to Simple Aqua. The regular, dark and light. I was informed by someone that the next version would look something like the dark. Well I have decided to de pinstripe the look of Panther and wanted to know which one you guys thinks looks better.

The first version looks just like Simple Aqua Dark

The second is another idea I had, the color slightly different.

Which one looks better?

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 02:54 AM

The second one, looks just like Panther but w/o any stripes (or hideous widgets)... this would be the way to go IMO.

What are your plans for the menubar? I think you should go w/ the same shade as the light gray used on the toolbar background pxm (in the second variant), again like Panther but w/o the stripes.

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:55 AM

I dig 'em both though I'm leaning towards the first. Perhaps you could also make a muted stripe version like the panther menubar?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 03:04 AM

I might do a version of both. I recently was told I could get a copy of the Extras.rsrc from Panther. So I should have this out before it comes out for sure. Making a 10.2 version as well.

Oh and it will probably use Panther's GUI widgets. We will see.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 04:54 AM

I agree with UNTiMac. A Panther-looking one with the subtler pinstripes would be sweet.

Other than that, the second one looks better than the first, IMO.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 07:51 AM

Wowo! Both look super nice to me. Personnaly, I like the first so there is my vote. Can't wait for more!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 08:25 AM

The 10.2 version is almost ready.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 08:26 AM

Why not wait until Panther actually comes out? Then you'll be able to use this theme without any fuss or muss. Spend your time working on an original theme rather than yet another Aqua variation.

The dark version has a blue/green hue to it. Stick with the light version.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Why not wait until Panther actually comes out? Then you'll be able to use this theme without any fuss or muss.
Because it's not that hard to do.
Spend your time working on an original theme rather than yet another Aqua variation.
I am not concerned with making new themes. My concern is with consistency. And I don't like pinstripes. This theme I get both. It's the same reason I made Simple Aqua. I might make some variations that doesn't mess with consistency, who knows.

The dark version has a blue/green hue to it. Stick with the light version.
Not on my monitor :/ Shouldn't be compression either, it's a png.

Anyhow, thanks for not being a jerk.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 24, 2003, 08:39 AM

I like the first one best but I would like to encourage a set of widgets that are still Aqua like but all one hue. Say a deep purple/black to play off the look of a Panther. The traffic lights just kill me.

Nice though.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 08:56 AM

Yeah the traffic lights are lame I agree. But some people like them, and that is what graphite is for.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 09:06 AM

<twiddles thumbs> while waiting for a new toy....I like version 2 the best. Damn the naysayers, full speed ahead. Now if August would get here already...I want the fastest PC on the planet!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 11:15 AM

zimphire, good work! i like the first one.

/me sits patiently and waits

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Yeah the traffic lights are lame I agree. But some people like them, and that is what graphite is for.
How about putting the 'blue' option in the Graphite resorces

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 11:44 AM

the person still capable of thinking in me says he likes the first one better, but the fanboy in me says he wants whatever is closest to panther.

zimph: where can I get the "older" version of simple aqua. i tried to find it last week, and couldn't. you're themes are always so mysterious. i know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that knows where i can get it. awesome work, though. awesome.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 12:30 PM

Wow, that second variation looks sweet!

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 12:49 PM

Oh and it will probably use Panther's GUI widgets. We will see.
Please, please, pretty please use the ones you have... I can't stand Apple's sunken widgets... they look like rotting bell peppers to me.

I also agree with Swiz's idea to do something that plays off of the Panther look... maybe something that somehow matches the logo?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 24, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Please, please, pretty please use the ones you have... I can't stand Apple's sunken widgets... they look like rotting bell peppers to me.
Well, I'm sure Zimphire releases that I would not be pleased if he used my widgets in his theme, so I guess you'll have to live with the rotting bell peppers.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 04:07 PM

Yeah I was using those as reference. That is why I said they WOULDN'T be in the theme.

I have some I am fixing up at the moment.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 04:10 PM

... well here is one vote for "rotten bell peppers." (yes I know they are for reference only, Im just saying I really like them)

lol that is a ridiculous name!

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 04:13 PM

I am getting the Panther resource soon, I will probably be using those. If you don't like them, Thempark makes it easy to change.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 24, 2003, 04:17 PM

I am getting the Panther resource soon, I will probably be using those. If you don't like them, Thempark makes it easy to change.
Ok, cool, I realized that you were just using them to show if off, but I wanted to make it clear.
Would you mind sharing that Extras.rsrc when you get it? We all want to see what's changed.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Well, I'm sure Zimphire releases that I would not be pleased if he used my widgets in his theme, so I guess you'll have to live with the rotting bell peppers.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that those were actually yours (I forgot that SimpleAqua doesn't have sunken widgets)

Well, ThemePark will make things nice and easy for me to change around and get rid of those horrid Apple widgets.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2003, 07:56 PM

Ok, cool, I realized that you were just using them to show if off, but I wanted to make it clear.
Would you mind sharing that Extras.rsrc when you get it? We all want to see what's changed.
You have got a private message.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 06:32 AM

Nice one Zimphire, I like the second one better, breaks up the colours nicely. Sunken widgets are cool too. Just wondering, will you be doing the buttons (push and pop-up) in the style of iMovie, Safari, etc? That would be really smart. One of the brushed metal themes has that look, but might be quiet nice for an Aqua theme.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 25, 2003, 09:16 AM

I believe the next venture into a theme like this is going to be a joint one between me and Max. I am dropping SimpleAqua, and me and Max are going to make a theme. Basically going to be his widgets, with some things I like about SimpleAqua better. And it will be the darker grey color of Panther.

That is all we know about it so far.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:21 AM

Basically going to be his widgets,
Good move.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 25, 2003, 12:27 PM

Good move.
Of course, I couldn't have made them better, and I like the way he does them. This way, there is no more arguing, we can share some of the credit (Of course most of it will be his work) But I want to make sure there is a version being updated with the things I want. I have a modified version of Smooth Stripes I was using before this. Basically it will be a darker SS mod with my preferences added to it.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 25, 2003, 12:44 PM

Zimphire, email me and we'll see what we can work out.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 25, 2003, 01:10 PM

Emailedinated you.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:20 PM

That would be quite sweet, aqua with the brushed metal(sunken( widgets). I had a go at this today to see what it might look like, the sunken widgets from the plastic.rsrc in the brushed metal theme look good in striped aqua, but a bit overlapping occurs sometimes when buttons are up against each other, ie. in photoshop prefernces.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
That would be quite sweet, aqua with the brushed metal(sunken( widgets). I had a go at this today to see what it might look like, the sunken widgets from the plastic.rsrc in the brushed metal theme look good in striped aqua, but a bit overlapping occurs sometimes when buttons are up against each other, ie. in photoshop prefernces.
You do know that Max already has sunken widget versions of SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme (which has pinstripes), right?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 05:03 AM

You do know that Max already has sunken widget versions of SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme (which has pinstripes), right?
I love max's Aqua extreme, but I would love a version with the all blue widgets.

Those are gorgeous.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 06:04 AM

Yeah? Damn, I saw the smoothstripes theme on his webpage but didn;t think that it would have all sunken widgets.
Thanks for that, I'm off to go ty it.

Just what I need.
PIXAR Animation Studios

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 06:07 AM

Does the sunken widgets in his aqua extreme/smoothstripes theme also include push buttons and pop-up buttons too as sunken too?
Downloading as i type this.
PIXAR Animation Studios

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 26, 2003, 06:17 AM

Does the sunken widgets in his aqua extreme/smoothstripes theme also include push buttons and pop-up buttons too as sunken too?
Downloading as i type this.
The current version does not, but I'm making an update that has all aqua elements sunken.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2003, 07:31 AM

Fantastic max, good to hear. I still like Aqua (stripes), but would be nice to have all buttons, widgets, etc, sunken, and with that lovely curvy look that iApps have.

Great stuff.
PIXAR Animation Studios

honz
Jun 26, 2003, 08:57 AM

Can someone please help me. I like the top pic (in the first post) I'm doing the mod myself and I've changed quite a few of the backgrounds which I thought would be for the toolbar background, but none of them so far have changed it.
Could someone please tell me the exact whereabouts of the image(s) I need to change.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 11:21 AM

Yeah? Damn, I saw the smoothstripes theme on his webpage but didn;t think that it would have all sunken widgets.
Thanks for that, I'm off to go ty it.
You're welcome.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 26, 2003, 04:19 PM

Fantastic max, good to hear. I still like Aqua (stripes), but would be nice to have all buttons, widgets, etc, sunken, and with that lovely curvy look that iApps have.

Great stuff.
Sorry to disappoint you but I did not mean Plastic buttons, I ment I have made a variation which has the regular Aqua elements sunken. I made a test variation with Plastic button, but it did not look good because
a) the bevel is not as obvious and it's hard to tell if they are sunken or what's going on.
b) they have a different hue than the rest of Aqua and would look our of place.

Can someone please help me. I like the top pic (in the first post) I'm doing the mod myself and I've changed quite a few of the backgrounds which I thought would be for the toolbar background, but none of them so far have changed it.
Could someone please tell me the exact whereabouts of the image(s) I need to change.
Create a New theme using ThemePark 1.0 and you can easily find the resources used for backgrounds.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 04:49 AM

Sorry to disappoint you but I did not mean Plastic buttons, I ment I have made a variation which has the regular Aqua elements sunken. I made a test variation with Plastic button, but it did not look good because
a) the bevel is not as obvious and it's hard to tell if they are sunken or what's going on.
b) they have a different hue than the rest of Aqua and would look our of place.

Ah, that's a pity, thought they looked quite nice too. I did a small test with your buttons on a regular aqua window, here's the images.

This is the bottom part of a system preferences pane:

Here's a grab of the preferences in photoshop, a bit of overlapping occurs though.

PIXAR Animation Studios

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 27, 2003, 10:06 AM

The only problem with those button is, they aren't going to be consistent. :/

And that is a shame.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2003, 10:24 AM

I've seen the sunken aqua buttons, they look pretty nice, don't worry.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 01:25 PM

How can I get "Simple Aqua" theme?

Is there a download link?

Thanks!

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 27, 2003, 04:16 PM

It's still WIP.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 05:27 PM

It's still WIP.
Thanks for your response, but... what's "WIP"?

Sorry, but my English is not so good...

decursive
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
Thanks for your response, but... what's "WIP"?

Sorry, but my English is not so good...
work in progress.
= decursive =

Forum Links
Forum Rules