Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > G5 Theme concept

G5 Theme concept
I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 08:47 PM

Well with the release today of IconFactory's awesome G5 Drives icon set, I started to think about a theme that might match. So far I've come up with the titlebar and widgets:

I'm not sure where this will lead but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Would there be any interest in this as a full-blown theme? Any ideas/suggestions or should I just trash the idea? Thoughts?
Who'sDaMac?

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 22, 2003, 08:52 PM

Thats looking a little quick n dirty. If it is indeed inspired by the G5 than I think it should use that brushed metal extensively. This could be done numerous ways while retaining a completely different look and feel from Max's Brushed theme.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Thats looking a little quick n dirty. If it is indeed inspired by the G5 than I think it should use that brushed metal extensively. This could be done numerous ways while retaining a completely different look and feel from Max's Brushed theme.
Yeah, definitely quick & dirty. Just an idea that I had pop in my head after seeing the G5 drive icons. I actually want to stay away from a brushed metal but was thinking of adding the highlight gradient like Max did with Brushed.

Again, I'm not saying this will become a theme but maybe it'll spark ideas for a G5 inspired theme.
Who'sDaMac?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2003, 09:13 PM

It looks cute
I might use a theme like that though
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

SwissXDesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2003, 09:44 PM

Very nice! Excellent potential, and the more there is on my desktop to remind me of what I want the better! Respect to you, and I hope it will turn into something awesome!

m a r k . h u s e r

Dace
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 10:11 PM

Here's my quick take on it, metallic shine is not quite there...but you get the idea.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 10:16 PM

Now that looks interesting from a minimalistic POV...

Originally posted by Dace:
[B]Here's my quick take on it, metallic shine is not quite there...but you get the idea.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2003, 10:27 PM

I think the entire titlebar/menu bar should be the dot pattern, with a little solid area for the widgets.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ambush
Banned
Jul 22, 2003, 10:37 PM

Wow, that's like the first IF icon set by Dave that I don't like

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 23, 2003, 12:59 AM

There are a ton of awesome possibilities expandable from these two images alone:

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 01:28 AM

Well from what BBX was saying about his next one, it sounds like something like this. I wonder when it will be out anyway?

The G5 drive icons are cool, something like them as a theme would rock.
click one

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 09:46 AM

It would be very hard to capture that look... very hard.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Modro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 02:41 PM

If I was going to go about making a G5 theme, I would probably go with an all grey theme (maybe even with a subtle metal texture, but not brushed, like the g5 case) and keep it as simple as possible. The G5 is a minimalist design, so making the theme overly fussy defeats the point. I'd also resist the urge to put speedholes everywhere. I'd use the sides of the G5 as an idea of how a window should appear (smooth, and of one piece) and keep the window controls nice and simple, possibly making them the "spun metal" buttons like you see on the G5, or a powerbook (the power button) flush mounted.

I'd basically keep the speed holes out of the theme, and include them in the desktop wallpaper (such as what was done with the wallpaper being used in the background of the Panther Pro screenshots)

As for the various other buttons, I'd be attempting to make them appear to be hewn from the same metal that the g5 case is made of, and keep them flush mounted for that smooth appearance, and squared, like the drive door, for instance. Give them some depth and realism, but keep them flush and smooth.

Keep all of the other buttons square also, and as minimalist as possible.

I'd just be striving for minimalism all around, but make the theme detailed enough that when put together it doesn't look barren like a lot of other minimalist themes. Do stuff like making the buttons actually appear to be depressed when pushed, and have the icon on a button (like a back button) be subtly recessed into the material, looking like it was stamped in, then painted black. Keep all of the detail bits as real looking as possible, and possibly even give all of the windows a very, very, subtle metal appearance. Just like the sides of the case.

I'm lacking photoshop on here, so I can't make up a screen idea, so if someone wants to take the idea and run with it, go ahead.
-Don Modro

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2003, 02:05 AM

Heres my mockup

http://fluidusa.com/Screens/G5.htm

The widgets would be completely transparent like the front of the G5. Maybe on the over they would glow green like the power light on the G5.

I dont have time to work on a theme but maybe someone here does.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Fluid:
Heres my mockup

http://fluidusa.com/Screens/G5.htm

The widgets would be completely transparent like the front of the G5. Maybe on the over they would glow green like the power light on the G5.

I dont have time to work on a theme but maybe someone here does.
Can't be done with widgets alone - transparent widget regions show the underlying titlebar, not the desktop. But I'm not sure how punching transparent holes in the titlebar itself to accomodate the widgets would work - it might.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 27, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Can't be done with widgets alone - transparent widget regions show the underlying titlebar, not the desktop. But I'm not sure how punching transparent holes in the titlebar itself to accomodate the widgets would work - it might.
Yes this would work but not in Panther, but I guess its a bit too early to be worrying about that right

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2003, 03:21 PM

Yea. I have a working model. The transparency works perfect with a transparent circle in the titlebar caps

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Well with the release today of IconFactory's awesome G5 Drives icon set, I started to think about a theme that might match. So far I've come up with the titlebar and widgets:

I'm not sure where this will lead but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Would there be any interest in this as a full-blown theme? Any ideas/suggestions or should I just trash the idea? Thoughts?
Although I'm new to Mac I see great potential in this theme. I would love to see it get finished. So, I'mDaMac; what's the progress on this theme? Please tell me you're finishing it.

Modro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 02:34 PM

Fluid, very cool.

How about making the holes have a sort of dark transparent behind them, working as a shadow, since the area behind the g5 face would be darker than the surroundings.

The idea looks good, it follows the simple theme laid out by the g5 case. Making the buttons themselves the speed holes works well.

I do agree that you should make them light up when moused over.
-Don Modro

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 01:37 PM

I'm working on that:
I've just done the title bars and the widgets, metal skin and the menus...The scroll arrows are from Max's brushed theme as I think they are perfect with rest of the elements.

Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 29, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
I'm working on that:
I've just done the title bars and the widgets, metal skin and the menus...The scroll arrows are from Max's brushed theme as I think they are perfect with rest of the elements.
Those fan holes make the theme look like a cheese! They are too big. They should be a lot smaller and more sparely used.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 02:53 PM

Ya way too big and far apart. Interesting idea though.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 03:17 PM

Yep, fair enough..That's what I realized after posting the picture.. I'll work on that.

Spaztik
Jul 29, 2003, 04:53 PM

I don't really like it... I would rather see a nice theme without the holes... I don't know where the holes would be used very good, but it's too distracting looking...

Think simple man... simple.
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 29, 2003, 05:37 PM

In addition to the other criticisms which are totally valid, you are trying to mix artificial elements with realsitic ones; add to that that these two styles are simply butted up to one another with no melding ogether and you have a lot of deeper thought put into the aesthetics and execution fro this theme. Its a good idea but it would better serve the final product if you really sat down and formed a well though out concept before just slapping elements together in a mockup.

This is an attempt to be straight forward, constructive criticism, so please try to take it that way.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 08:41 PM

No problem.. at least there was some feedback.
That was just a raw first attempt and I already knew that it needs some work...
Next version should be more refined.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 09:01 PM

.... it would better serve the final product if you really sat down and formed a well though out concept before just slapping elements together in a mockup.

That's not necessarily true Swiz. Different people create in very different ways and accidents that happen when you 'slap' things together often give rise to unexpected beauty that you'd never think of if you tried to plan it all out beforehand. Obviously you end up going thru more iterations than if you figure out what you are doing first, but I definitely recommend that people throw all kinds of stuff together and see what happens... Just don't settle for the first thing that pops out. There is always time to clean it up and refine the design later! My theme has gone thru dozens of overhauls, just a few of which have been seen publicly, and is only now becoming really usable, but I'm not the kind of person who could have dreamt it up without all the experimentation.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 09:26 PM

I think the fan holes are a good idea only if you can put them in the
theme somewhere that there are NO widgets. it is too distracting otherwise.

Also IMHO use a real photo of fan holes and scale down some.

so far though

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 29, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
That's not necessarily true Swiz. Different people create in very different ways and accidents that happen when you 'slap' things together often give rise to unexpected beauty that you'd never think of if you tried to plan it all out beforehand. Obviously you end up going thru more iterations than if you figure out what you are doing first, but I definitely recommend that people throw all kinds of stuff together and see what happens... Just don't settle for the first thing that pops out. There is always time to clean it up and refine the design later! My theme has gone thru dozens of overhauls, just a few of which have been seen publicly, and is only now becoming really usable, but I'm not the kind of person who could have dreamt it up without all the experimentation.
Yeah I totally agree but I think even PatCarla recognizes that that method didnt pan out for this first iteration. At times I even just start playing with a mockup when I first get an idea and if it begins to develop some substance I take a few steps back and really break it down with a fully realized concept before posting screenshots. I do this to hopefully address any criticisms which may arise due to a poorly thought out initial introduction. The whole development process is much more efficient when you can skip over all of the basic principles of concept, useability and relativity by really thinking it through before revealing it for comments. It really all depends on ones own confidence and design integrity though. To each his own right .

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 06:38 PM

Here's what I have. It's very rough, but you get the general idea I suppose...
Thanks to Dace for the idea of using the grill holes as widgets.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 30, 2003, 06:55 PM

Yeah now that looks nice.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 07:08 PM

Ditto that....someone rock on with it!

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Here's what I have. It's very rough, but you get the general idea I suppose...
Thanks to Dace for the idea of using the grill holes as widgets.

That is a very nice concept and the gunmetal grey look from Panther Pro would be sweet for the metal appearance?

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by wigglywoo:
That is a very nice concept and the gunmetal grey look from Panther Pro would be sweet for the metal appearance?
Personally I'd like it more greyish than that mock-up. I just made it quick from Apples G5 PR pictures.
The general texture of the Panther Pro metal would work well though I suppose.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 09:48 PM

How about something a little less blue and a little more literal to the computer? Have I gone too far?

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 30, 2003, 10:12 PM

How about something a little less blue and a little more literal to the computer? Have I gone too far?

John that has the most potential I have seen yet for this concept. Now go flesh out that tight concept then post some screenies.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 10:28 PM

John that has the most potential I have seen yet for this concept. Now go flesh out that tight concept then post some screenies.

Thanks, but someone else is going to have to run with it if they want. I'm too old and burned out to start another theme! :-]

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 10:35 PM

It would be cool of the holes were semitransparent like my mock up.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 11:13 PM

I think you just captured exactly what the theme should look like. I'd like to see that theme made!
click one

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I think you just captured exactly what the theme should look like. I'd like to see that theme made!
Mmmmm now that hits the spot.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jul 30, 2003, 11:59 PM

If people dont mind waiting a little while I would put forth the time to do it but keep in mind Im getting married so time is precious right now.

decursive
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 12:08 AM

If people dont mind waiting a little while I would put forth the time to do it but keep in mind Im getting married so time is precious right now.
no! i demand you postpone your wedding and start theming.

or not. hope you have a great wedding.
= decursive =

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 12:36 AM

I'd be happy with just having the widget resources at the moment. We could make this theme open source.....

ambush
Banned
Jul 31, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
The first concept and this one are the best.
Please finish it

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 08:40 AM

Just one problem with that concept.. The top of the titlebar text will land outside of the actual titlebar.

Oh and if the theme is going to be "open source", i'd be more than happy to put the PSD for my mockup up, if that's going to the help anyone.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 10:51 AM

Indeed that is getting really close...
I worked a bit on my previous mockup.. It's quite different to what you guys are doing but anyway.. I think I'll keep going in that direction.
Here are the pictures.
As you can see the grid/holes are in the widgets now. As you can also notice (picture 3) the grid are really greads and you can see what behind across them. I kind of like it.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 02:49 PM

THIS is how the theme should be - looks great!!

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 03:09 PM

Here's what I have at the moment. Tried to capture the aluminum look a bit more in the buttons. I based it somewhat on elements from Apples PMG5 site.
And like I said before, mrtew's concept, while great looking, won't work because of the restrictions in the theme format, the text would stick out the top of the window

Not sure how this would work, if the buttons are possible to do etc, as I haven't played around much with theme creation...

honz
Jul 31, 2003, 04:22 PM

Cerbero, that's the best I've seen so far! The buttons look great, although like you say I'm not sure if they're achievable, I really know didly-squat about themeing for mac. But over all it looks very promising. I think you've captured the feel perfectly.
I'm just hoping at least one of these styles makes it all the way to fruitation.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 05:30 PM

I like this. Is there no way to work around the text display? Since the text is centered anyways, would that work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules