Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Stuffit 7.0 ... For Windows!!!!

Stuffit 7.0 ... For Windows!!!!
bleen
Senior User
Oct 3, 2001, 06:48 AM

Until now Aladdin Systems' Stuffit series was dominated for the Mac. Until recently. As Aladdin released Stuffit 6.5 for MacOS and MacOS X, version 7.0 was released for Windows. There's another smack in the face for the Mac Community.

<Lucia>
Oct 3, 2001, 10:53 AM

SHUT UP

Do version numbers really matter?
What matters is the quality of the program. So it's not a blow for the Mac community. I tell you what is though. People like you who are always looking to pick a fight with the PC world. You're a discrace to the Mac community for bringing up such a childish comparison. Cause we all know my dad's bigger than your dad...

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 04:04 PM

Chill out there...

Stuffit for Windows has been out for quite a while now, actually. I think I remember installing it on a PC about a year ago. As for the version number, who knows what that means? I somewhat agree with Lucia (though in much less of a harsh tone) in that it doesn't seem to be a big issue, though I can't say I know the difference between Stuffit for Windows and Stuffit Deluxe for Mac. Besides, the popular compression method for Windows is the .zip format, and Stuffit can expand but not compress those.

Orange Luna
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 09:34 PM

Not to sound like flame-post, but I don't like Aladdin. Not that it's entirely their fault, but mostly because I don't like propietary solutions. Aladdin has sat comfortable in their comfy chair for years (10 +?) without ANY competition. They've got enough money of mine and will never, ever get another cent if I can do anything about it. With OSX we now have open source solutions to file compression and packaging - good solutions, great solutions. Do you want to handicap the Mac further, support them: stuff your files with Stuffit Deluxe 5+ format, let people have to download a new update with annoying splash screens and registration reminders, let Aladdin roam on your system and take over (unwilling) control of your file extensions. Stuffit files don't de/compress better that .zip or tar.gz files and don't do it any faster. Abolish the monarchy and take OUR OS back.

NO MORE STUFFIT!!!
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Forum Links
Forum Rules