Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Techtool vs Norton Systemworks

Techtool vs Norton Systemworks
fobside
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2001, 07:32 PM

I'm relatively new the the Mac world in terms of knowing what software is out there. My friend tells me Techtool does what Norton does but better. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Also, how valuable is Disk Warrior?

mindwaves
Aug 5, 2001, 02:33 AM

I dont know much about Norton stuff, but when I downloaded a trial version of their software, it said that my HD was serverly frameed, which it was not. I don not have much experience wit Diskwarrior, but I have heard that it is the best for repairing disk and I know a person who has his data saved by DiskWarrior a few times. I use Tech Tool myself and find it to be ok.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2001, 07:51 PM

here

(tech tool!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 09:58 PM

I used to use Norton--until OS 8 came out. Then Norton started to do very strange stuff. Some of it involved things like Crashguard, which actually caused crashes, and File Saver, which sometimes chewed up files--and then caused a crash.

So I haven't used Norton for about three years, and can't say anything about newer versions of the software. But I use DiskWarrior religiously (I kneel as I insert the CD ) and it is a wonderful tool. I also use TechTools Pro, which is also a great tool, although it sometimes will not fix problems that DW will fix with no problem. On the other hand, TTP has tools that DW doesn't have. If you can afford two utilities, get DW and TTP. If you can afford only one, I'd be tempted to make do with DW.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

bookrat
Aug 5, 2001, 10:12 PM

Whenever I have a problem I usually run DiskWarrior first, followed by TechTools if the problem isn't fixed (very rarely) and finally Norton.

Norton does some wierd things to the machine sometimes.
post_count+1
qp

Forum Links
Forum Rules