Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AAPL Not Managing Expectations

AAPL Not Managing Expectations
Dr_Doom
Apr 12, 2001, 12:58 PM

When dealing with things like updates, bug fixes and the like it is always a good policy to manage your customers expectations if only so that if you need to come in under the expectation, they understand and are not let down. The silence from Apple regarding bug fixes is not nessecarily the best way to handle what Apple may consider a large component of it's future market, businesses. One thing that many other *Nix's have that Apple just doesn't even seem to be looking at is the whole progressive cluster patch, such as other BSD's and Solaris. Each bugfix is added to the main cluster patch as it comes out and once you do a clean install just install the latest cluster patch. If you only need the latest fix, download just that portion.

By having even some valid bugfixes available and not releasing them even piecemeal, Apple IMHO is doing all of us a disservice. I can appreciate that they are attempting to make the update more feature enhancing, but Apple needs to see the differences between feature addition and bugfixes. Bugfixes are critical and need to be released when ready. Not when 6 new features will be ready.

Cheers,

Dr_Doom

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 01:17 PM

It's very likely they are trying to give the impression that they got it right with regard to OS X, and constant bug fixes would diminish this.

With Linux, Windows, etc...the bug fixes are sent out ASAP...and as a result, there are more updates. With Apple, you get fewer updates, but more bug fixes per update. However, with the latter approach, you end up with bug fixes delayed months at a time.

griffman
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 05:20 PM

The big difference between OS X and the other UNIXes is the fact that Apple has to test all the releases on their hardware platforms prior to release. The others, since they have no hardware, are not in the same position.

Given that they have to test, it makes sense to release one patch instead of five small patches. Much less resource intensive to do one large patch than a number of small patches.

As far as managing expectations, I heard Apple tell the press that an update would be out in "April." Seems they don't have to say much between now and the 30th unless they want to...

-rob.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 06:22 PM

well said griffman

Apples bug fixes are generally very good in standard have have come through alot of testing. In the long run this is better because if you release lots of bug fixes you get
1. Bad press
2. A support nightmare ie hundreds of different versions all with different possible problems.

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2001, 07:01 PM

In Apple's case you'd get bad press no matter what you do.
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 07:32 PM

Gotta love it when someone one shuts up Doc Gonzo with a really intelligent response. Any retorts, Dr.?

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 07:45 PM

: D

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 06:27 AM

Hard to tell wether it is Apple's handling of expectations, or the expectations that are causing people problems.

For example, any nut-ball who thought he was going to be 100% satisfied with a bug-free OSX out of the box is likely dissapointed. Also stupid.

There are decades of precedent for the process by which Apple fixes bugs. If anyone expected anything different they are treading dangerously close to unrealistic expectations.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Keda
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 07:38 AM

B4 I started reading forums, I was always impressed and happy with the products that came from Apple. Now, I read so many 'inside sources' that it is hard not to get an inflated sense of expectation (even if I believe a particular prediction).

griffman
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 02:49 PM

>>Now, I read so many 'inside sources' that it is hard not to get an inflated sense of expectation<<

Which is why I only listen to one inside source - Apple. Until they say it, it's not true. And outside of comments posted on my site by visitors (which I don't screen), I don't write about anything that's not released, either - no point in confusing folks with talk of something that may or may not exist. Until Apple says it exists (whatever 'it' might be), then it's nothing but a bunch of rumor and speculation.

It does me no good to sit here and wonder if 4L7 is the real update, or was it 4L5, or will it be 5M32 ... it will be whatever it is, when Apple decides it is done. Until that time, consider everything you read about the update (or any other unreleased Apple gizmo) for what it is - rumor and speculation.

-rob.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

bleen
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 03:29 PM

A good point was brought up...

No matter what Apple does they get bad press... It's rare that Microsoft gets bad press, but when they do it's quickly stuffed away and not really talked about, execpt in the Mac Community.

Microsoft releases about 4 security fixes to windows and Internet Explorer a month. No one cares. It's accepted.

Apple releases a patch and it's looked poorly upon that those bugs were there.

Arg!!! It ticks me off when people think that Microsoft Windows is the only Person Computer OS out there, they can't do anything becasue they don't have a choice. It also worries me, when Microsoft releases bug and security fixes in multiple numbers a month, when a Mac version gets upgraded about once a year.

-- Just a rant...

Forum Links
Forum Rules