Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium 2: AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber

Adium 2: AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber
Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 03:44 PM

Adium 2

After poking around on their site (and seeing links in many people's sigs) it turns out that Adium now supports a whole load of services (in alpha form) incorproated from GAIM:

" While rocking out and jazzing out for 4 hours in the car, I coded. And in coding, I brought you:
MSN
Yahoo
Gadu-Gadu
Napster
Jabber

Enjoy. Be patient with protocol-specific features... waiting is."

Maybe everyone is already aware of this, but I was startled considering that Proteus is on its last legs and the Fire team are building up to a big 1.0 release.

Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 04:56 PM

I LOVE it - I am dumping Proteus

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2004, 06:09 PM

Adium 2 multiprotocol support is really rough, but will improve soon.

As of today, Jabber doesn't work and Yahoo doesn't for some (including me).

But it looks cool

allap
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 06:30 PM

I've been trying out Adium2 for my MSN messenging the last day or so, and so far it's working pretty well (ignoring the obvious lack of features). Looks very promising!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2004, 07:41 PM

and its aqua again WOOOO was brushed metal for ages and looked REALLY horrible

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 10:31 PM

Have been using adium 2 since I got my mac, and have loved it. The recent builds with libgaim activated are great. AIM via libgaim is much better than via TOC2.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2004, 12:52 AM

looks VERY promising! however it�s still too buggy for me, so I guess I�ll just have to wait for the final.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:06 AM

they're doing great stuff.
i'd forgotten, these last couple of months, using ichat all the time (especially since panther) how great the preferences were.

i've been using alphas for a month or so, on and off, on and off, and every time they get better, i can't help but cheer.

great work.
making macs fun.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2004, 10:13 AM

Quack!

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2004, 11:53 AM

Quack!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 12:19 PM

How does the feature set compare to iChat?

Rendezvous?
Address Book integration?
Available Messages?

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:

Rendezvous?
Available Messages?
It doesn't do rendezvous as far as I know, but someone is sure to write a plug in.

It seems to use the address book automigically, but it can be a little hit and miss.

Message notifications are good, and customisable.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2004, 01:30 PM

I was pondering purchasing Proteus, but I'm hearing its development is uncertain, so imagine my surprise to see that Adium 2 supports multiple services. I started using it yesterday and it is awesome. I've experienced a couple of crashes, but it's working very well so far and the features are very nice. Good work! Adium was always my favorite AOL client, so having it support multiple services means Proteus, Fire, ICQ, etc. won't be on my machine much longer. iChat? I haven't fired it up in months. Let Apple charge for it, I'll take Adium 2.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2004, 08:55 PM

Rendezvous?
Available Messages?
Rendezvous is on the to-do list of planned features, not currently implemented.

Address Book integration is implemented, making use of the IM protocols fields of the Address Book, and it can make a pretty nice use of the pictures of contacts. It may be a little buggy as of today, but it is being still under development.

And I don't understand what you mean by "Available Messages". If you mean notifications, you can have Adium notify you by flashing the contact in the contact list, speaking with the OS voice, bouncing the dock icon, overlapping the dock icon with a badge, make an event bezel appear and more.

It also features profiles, that iChat doesn't. And a lot more of things, one of the best for me is the great level customization that can be applied

Carbonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 10:42 PM

i used to hate this program

but im using alphas of it, and it's GREAT!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:22 AM

everything is really... tiny...

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 01:17 AM

been using it for MSN, so far I like it, but it's still green (nevermind protocol specific features).

anyone know how to get the damn menubar item off ?

if anyone feels like posting screenshots I'd much appreciate (for the sake of seeing how much you can customize the GUI).

Originally posted by eevyl:
And I don't understand what you mean by "Available Messages". If you mean notifications, you can have Adium notify you by flashing the contact in the contact list, speaking with the OS voice, bouncing the dock icon, overlapping the dock icon with a badge, make an event bezel appear and more.
how do you accomplish that ?

also ... anyone figured how to use the "status circles ? for me they are all white
( Last edited by Sarc; Jan 3, 2004 at 01:23 AM. )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

dole
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:

anyone know how to get the damn menubar item off ?
Get Info on Adium, go to the Plug-Ins part of the Get Info window and uncheck the Status Menu Item.AdiumPlugin
( Last edited by dole; Jan 3, 2004 at 01:45 AM. )

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 02:10 AM

thx ..
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 08:08 AM

anyone just interested in how development's going should check the adium forums. it's often easier to find the answer to your questions there than posting here. most of the people are on both, i find, so you can get help, but it's so easy to just go look (gui customization, menubar plugin, stuff like that).

i'm not flaming, just suggesting more places to look if you're interested.

rock on duck, rock on.

but really the domokun dock face is why i love adium.

pc.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2004, 01:20 PM

how do you accomplish that ?

also ... anyone figured how to use the "status circles ? for me they are all white
Preferences -> Dock -> Show contacts: -> with unviewed content and who connect and disconnect

For the status circles, you have to set "Status Coloring" in:

Preferences -> Contact List -> Contacts

The preferences need a major rewrite, btw.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:54 PM

thx ..
Most problems are addressed very promptly (or have already been addressed, use a search) on the message board:

http://ambitiouslemon.com/funmac/for...?s=&forumid=38
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:55 PM

everything is really... tiny...
Tiny? You can customize pretty much anything...what's tiny?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Carbonic:
i used to hate this program

but im using alphas of it, and it's GREAT!
What did you used to hate?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by brutal:
looks VERY promising! however it�s still too buggy for me, so I guess I�ll just have to wait for the final.
Yeah, it's pretty buggy when you fool around with things; when you're done setting up everything and just use it without messing around with settings too much, I haven't had very many crashes, though.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 04:58 PM

Adium 2 is gorgeous! I have a transparent, borderless buddy-list that floats above everything!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
After poking around on their site (and seeing links in many people's sigs) it turns out that Adium now supports a whole load of services (in alpha form) incorproated from GAIM:
Ain't that the truth. It's taking over, man. After a reformat Adium 2 is the first program I download and throw in my dock.

Sure it does just about everythin (libgaim owns), but all I need it for is AIM and it does that very well (and has been doing it for me for about 2 years now). It's stable as heck with all the default preferences and only using AIM, it's Cocoa savvy, and it uses hardly any CPU. If you ain't on the Adium 2 bus yet, what the heck are you waiting for?

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 04:25 AM

I've dabbled in Adium 2 a bit at my work computer, but overall I still like the interface of Adium 1.6x a lot better. I know I'm in the minority though. I just wish 1.6x's dock badges worked in 10.3. I'm so lost without them that eventually I'll have to make the update.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 08:31 AM

what dock badges are you talking about.
i'm just curious, as it looks pretty similar on my comp (dock, not program).

pc.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2004, 03:00 PM

dock badges = little icons n' such on the adium icon in the dock when things happen.

-Owl

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Ain't that the truth. It's taking over, man. After a reformat Adium 2 is the first program I download and throw in my dock.

Sure it does just about everythin (libgaim owns), but all I need it for is AIM and it does that very well (and has been doing it for me for about 2 years now). It's stable as heck with all the default preferences and only using AIM, it's Cocoa savvy, and it uses hardly any CPU. If you ain't on the Adium 2 bus yet, what the heck are you waiting for?

I don't mean to ruffle the feathers of any Adium loyalists, but what does this program offer than iChat doesn't already? Again, I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm genuinely ignorant when it comes to Adium. From my stand point, iChat works as advertised and gives me zero problems. So what does Adium do for a guy like me?

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
I don't mean to ruffle the feathers of any Adium loyalists, but what does this program offer than iChat doesn't already? Again, I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm genuinely ignorant when it comes to Adium. From my stand point, iChat works as advertised and gives me zero problems. So what does Adium do for a guy like me?
If your IM needs are fulfilled with iChat, probably Adium is not going to do more for you, but Adium for example provides a more powerfull log viewer (heck iChat doesn't have a log viewer), a lot more customization preferences, unbstrusive integration with the Address Book, less CPU hungry, tabbed message windows (as Safari), etc.

For me, it now allows me to sign on AIM and MSN from the same app, and that's a major point if you ask me.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
For me, it's ALL about the tabbed IM windows. Unless Apple adds tabs to iChat, I will forever be at the mercy of Adium. And even then, I'm likely to stick with Adium.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 02:10 AM

still very unstable, can anyone see ppl's nicknames instead of just their email in the MSN service ?

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 02:43 PM

still very unstable, can anyone see ppl's nicknames instead of just their email in the MSN service ?
Try the latest nightly - if you go Contact->View contact info you'll see their screenname.

Development seems very fast - there are actually whole new features between builds!

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 04:07 PM

Does AIM support means ICQ support too?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Does AIM support means ICQ support too?
ICQ is supported yes...

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
ICQ is supported yes...
is it? i have spotted that AOL/Oscar would be supported, but just a few days ago i tried to activate my (stone old) icq account (which works fine in proteus btw) and i didn�t get it to work properly with the adium2 alpha ... but maybe i wasn�t just not trying hard enough? will give it another shot.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
is it? i have spotted that AOL/Oscar would be supported, but just a few days ago i tried to activate my (stone old) icq account (which works fine in proteus btw) and i didn�t get it to work properly with the adium2 alpha ... but maybe i wasn�t just not trying hard enough? will give it another shot.
It's a little buggy in it's current form; however, further libgaim improvements down the road will probably iron those out...

Forum Links
Forum Rules