Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.3 Pulled. Anyone know why?

10.3.3 Pulled. Anyone know why?
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 02:54 PM

According to Apple Insider, 10.3.3 has been pulled from the development servers. Any developers out there know why?
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 03:24 PM

It's either getting ready to be avail. to the masses or they found some problems with it.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 03:34 PM

There was a critical issue with the build and 20" iMacs.
Vandelay Industries

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
And you wanna be my latex salesman?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
That pushes back release unfortunately...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
That pushes back release unfortunately...
Not necessarily. Sometimes big errors can be the easiest to fix. It already had serious problems with early Dual G4s as indicated in the seed notes. Before this issue, I'd say it was at least 2-4 weeks from release.
Vandelay Industries

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 07:45 PM

HAVE THEY FIXED THE FIREWIRE ISSUES USERS ARE HAVING SINCE 10.3.2?!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 07:51 PM

Firewire is fixable by updating your drive's firmware...

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

No it's not. I've tried to update my firmware for my SmartDisk and they claim that the firmware is up-to-date and fully compatible with Panther. I did not have the problem until the 10.3.2 update. Other people are having this problem where the audio slows down and becomes full of static and the mouse gets a mind of its own as it jumps across the screen. All, if not most, users have updated firmware for their FireWire drives. 10.3.2 introduced this bug.
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 08:07 PM

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Been there...

Just... waiting...

Ned Soltz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 08:35 PM

Have not been hearing reports of problems with Firewire and 10.3.2. You might try repariing permissions or even running the 10.3.2 combo updater. Do you have other firewire devices on the chain, by the way? Adam Wilt (www.adamwilt.com) noted in a posting on the DV Forum that certain firewire devices on the same chain have a "mother and duckling" effect-- one device seems to dominate the other. And, btw, my undergraduate degree is from Old Dominion-- Go Lady Monarchs!

Ned Soltz

rogueamoebarudy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 09:06 PM

> ther people are having this problem where the >audio slows down and becomes full of static

you don't happen to have Detour(http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/) installed? in unregistered mode it will definitely produce static.

there are other mac users at odu? i thought i was the only one.

-rudy

Panzer
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 09:08 PM

Has this suddenly become the ODU forums?
I got my BA from there in 2000.
Ahhh the memories...
I just know iPond317 will invite me to his next kegger with the hot sorority chicks...

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
HAVE THEY FIXED THE FIREWIRE ISSUES USERS ARE HAVING SINCE 10.3.2?!
No, they're still working on that caps lock bug.

-

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:

-
What is that one?

MDA
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 10:51 PM

What is that one?
Oh my god.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by MDA:
Oh my god.
Yeah, sounds like you need him right now...

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 11:21 PM

-

LOL!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 11:45 PM

-
Smart ass

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 11:50 PM

<off topic>

Wow, there are a lot of people from ODU posting in here! Good to see I guess. As for that kegger, we seldomly do keggers, last one at our house got out of hand (place got trashed), so no more! This just reminds us of what a small word we live in! :-)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
And you wanna be my latex salesman?
VENDELAY!!!!, SAY VANDELAY INDUSTRIES!!!!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

MDA
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 02:24 AM

Yeah, sounds like you need him right now...
<Hint> You need to pay attention to the posts. Then you'll figure out what the caps lock bug is.

mikepieronek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 10:43 AM

Hey, I've experienced the cursor jumping problem. Running 10.3.2 on a Ti PB G4 500. I was copying to an external FireWire drive. During the copy my cursor was hopping all over the screen. It was jumping so irradically the I pulled half the icons out of the dock. The behavior ended when the copy ended.

I haven't updated the firmware in my FW drive. I didn't know I could. I'm quite sure it has the Oxford 911 chipset.

Sounds like that won't help.

-Mike

diamondsw
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 12:25 PM

Smart ass
Dumb ass

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Dumb ass
Moderators?
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by MDA:
<Hint> You need to pay attention to the posts.
That involves reading though...let alone paying attention...

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by mikepieronek:
Hey, I've experienced the cursor jumping problem. Running 10.3.2 on a Ti PB G4 500. I was copying to an external FireWire drive. During the copy my cursor was hopping all over the screen. It was jumping so irradically the I pulled half the icons out of the dock. The behavior ended when the copy ended.

I haven't updated the firmware in my FW drive. I didn't know I could. I'm quite sure it has the Oxford 911 chipset.

Sounds like that won't help.

-Mike

The original TiBooks had fairly early FireWire chipsets and therefore exhibit that behaviour. Mine did exactly the same thing. There's nothing you can do about it, it's normal for those machines.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2004, 10:20 PM

So what you're saying is that the majority of us are screwed? Or will we get an update, because this is unacceptable.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2004, 11:25 AM

No it's not. I've tried to update my firmware for my SmartDisk and they claim that the firmware is up-to-date and fully compatible with Panther. I did not have the problem until the 10.3.2 update. Other people are having this problem where the audio slows down and becomes full of static and the mouse gets a mind of its own as it jumps across the screen. All, if not most, users have updated firmware for their FireWire drives. 10.3.2 introduced this bug.
So that is the exact bug you are seeing?

What machine are you using?
Do you have Detour installed?

What audio drivers do you have installed?

In which programs does the audio "slow down and become full of static". When does this happen?

If you didn't see this problem prior to 10.3.2, it obviously isn't the hardware, as in the case mentioned above. It must be software - either a problem with 10.3.2, or - more likely, IMO - a conflict between 10.3.2 and something else.

Do you have any Haxies installed?

etc.

I'm not seeing this problem, and none of my friends are.

-s*

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2004, 11:44 AM

I do not have any haxies installed and the audio problem comes up in iTunes but the mouse jumps all over the place whenever writing to any FireWire device. I know this is a 10.3.2 problem because the problem did NOT come about until I updated to the latest version of X.3

My Specs:
TiBook G4 400
512MB
10GB
2G 10GB iPod
80GB SmartDisk FireWire Ext.
Mac OS X 10.3.2
QuickTime 6.5
iTunes 4.2

Other 3rd party apps installed:
Adium 2.0 alpha
OmniWeb 4.5
Palm Desktop 4.1
RealOne Player
VLC
WeatherPop 1.8.6
( Last edited by iPond317; Feb 5, 2004 at 11:53 AM. )

Pete M
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 05:47 PM

I am also experiencing the firewire copying bug. I did not experience this problem prior to 10.3.2. When running activity monitor or top during a copy to the firewire drive I've noticed that the kernel process and the Finder are taking up significant CPU. The copies go as quickly as before but cursor response and iTunes playback are noticably affected. Opening, moving or saving files on the external FW drive does not appear to cause the same problem.

My setup:

Ti 400 768MB RAM
Panther 10.3.2
Maxtor OneTouch 250GB
Belkin FireWire Hub

other FW devices:
Apple iSight
VST CDRW

Note: For me this problem is independent of the Firewire hub (recent purchase) as I've tested w/ and w/o it in the mix
---Pete

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 06:16 PM

I have an iMac G3/450 and I also have the Firewire problem. I can no longer use the external Firewire hard drive for my eyeTV archive

I haven't installed any haxies and the problem has nothing to do with audio.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 07:41 AM

I've been bitten by this Firewire copying bug as well - on my iBook 466. I had to wipe my iPod, and while it was restoring my tunes the pointer was behaving so erratically that I couldn't use the machine. This certainly didn't happen with Jaguar. Nor is it an acceptable bug by anyone's standards. Firewire is the only high speed connection standard these machines have, so users rightfully expect it to perform properly. And btw, it's completely inaccurate to say that any Titanium PB has an early Firewire chipset, since the Titanium/Aluminum PBs are relatively new machines. The PB G4 was introduced in January 2001.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jaiqua
Feb 9, 2004, 09:05 AM

The problem is purely firewire related, and not people's devices, as it happens over many different devices. There's a ton of people over in Ars Technica with the same issue. I've got it too with an external HD enclosure, pretty annoying.
the navajo know

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
And btw, it's completely inaccurate to say that any Titanium PB has an early Firewire chipset, since the Titanium/Aluminum PBs are relatively new machines. The PB G4 was introduced in January 2001.
<off-topic>
I think the misunderstanding comes from the older circuitry surrounding the FW chipset on machines prior to June 2002. tiBooks from before then (and CRT iMacs, and probably a bunch of other Macs) did not have proper fusing against static discharges via the FireWire connector.

This becomes an issue with bus-powered hard drives, where discharge will simply BLOW OUT THE HARDWARE CONTROLLER CHIPSET, requiring a new motherboard at $$$$$$.

I know this because it happened to me twice on my CRT iMac ($400 repair), and it happened to two of my friends (three times to one of them).

This is a hardware problem and is ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO PANTHER.

It is just a matter of Apple not following their own guidelines (until June 2002), not admitting the problem, and thousands of customers footing the bill.

-s*

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<off-topic>
I think the misunderstanding comes from the older circuitry surrounding the FW chipset on machines prior to June 2002. tiBooks from before then (and CRT iMacs, and probably a bunch of other Macs) did not have proper fusing against static discharges via the FireWire connector.

This becomes an issue with bus-powered hard drives, where discharge will simply BLOW OUT THE HARDWARE CONTROLLER CHIPSET, requiring a new motherboard at $$$$$$.

I know this because it happened to me twice on my CRT iMac ($400 repair), and it happened to two of my friends (three times to one of them).

This is a hardware problem and is ENTIRELY UNRELATED TO PANTHER.

It is just a matter of Apple not following their own guidelines (until June 2002), not admitting the problem, and thousands of customers footing the bill.

-s*
Okay, so what you are saying is that it's my hardware that is the issue? Because none of these problems arose until I installed 10.3.2. I reinstalled 10.3.1 and my system returned to normal. So it IS a software issue.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 12:01 PM

Okay, so what you are saying is that it's my hardware that is the issue? Because none of these problems arose until I installed 10.3.2. I reinstalled 10.3.1 and my system returned to normal. So it IS a software issue.
No, I was talking about an entirely different problem.

That's why I prefixed the post "<off-topic>" and quoted the part of Big Mac's post that I was replying to - the bit about Powerbook Firewire chipsets.

Read the posts in question again.

-s*

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2004, 08:53 PM

Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding, Spheric. In any case, one really has to hope that Apple will correct this serious bug.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 02:13 AM

Yeah, I did notice that on two of my Macs... I just figured it had to do with the FireWire bus transferring too much data at one time... I would just make sure to stop iTunes before I did any copying to FireWire DVD or hard drives... Now that I think about this only started since 10.3.2...

While I'm not usually one to speculate, I would love to see 10.3.3 sooner than later. But when it gets here it gets here, that's as far as I'm concerned.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules