Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Just bought a iSight

Just bought a iSight
nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 07:06 PM

Hello,

I finally decided to get a iSight for myself so I can do some video chat. The only problem is, all of my other friends are running Wintel computers. I know they say the newest version AIM for Wintel can now work with the iChat AV Beta so I'll be testing it to see if it works nicely or not.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 07:08 PM

nice work.

isight and ichat are too amazing for words. i _just_ finished having a chat with a friend of mine in london.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 01:03 AM

Report back in with the wintel issues. Most of the peeps I'd chat with are on the dark side as well. I've been tempted to pick up an iSight, but I'm kinda in the waffle house right now.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 06:32 AM

I wanted to test it yesterday, but my friend was busy, so I'm hoping to get it up and running today to see how it performs using it with the wintel people. I'll report the testing of this as soon as I get it up and running and done chatting sometime tonight.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2004, 09:06 AM

me and a windows friend were all excited to test it out... until we read on the aim website that it requires windowsXP.

that's horrible. not every windows user on the planet is running windows XP. at least her next computer is going to be a powerbook or ibook.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2004, 09:18 AM

Mac to Mac, iChat is brilliant. Really does work very nicely.
I do have the new iChat beta, but have not yet tried it with a PC user. Will hopefully do that soon.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

morps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 11:49 PM

I too just bought an iSight. I would like to video chat with my son while I am traveling. I have an XP machine for work. However, I cannot get video to work. Every time I try to start the video session, AOL 5.5 throws an error saying that my "buddy" doesn't support video. Huh?

I have both of the machines sitting next to each other on my desk. Local network. Mac OS firewall is not enabled. However, I do have a Asante router... anything if that is the culprit? If so, any ideas what ports the video is running on? Chat works fine.

Thanks in advance!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 02:54 AM

Works fine with PC users for me, though most likely they'll have a really low quality USB 1.0 webcam. iSight to iSight is wonderful. I did a chat with a guy in Australia and it was flawless. Only a second lag.

Sadly, I have turned it into a webcam for now... yeah... so sad.

http://www.seenoevil.org/webcam.html

jeffnudi
Apr 3, 2004, 10:04 PM

I just bought an iSight to use at home. I tried to connect with a PC user who is not too technical. She has been using her windows machine to video chat with others using MSN Messenger, which does not support video chat on a Mac. Can you tell me what she needs on her machine so I can connect with her using iChat on my Mac?

memyselfandimac
Apr 4, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by jeffnudi:
I just bought an iSight to use at home. I tried to connect with a PC user who is not too technical. She has been using her windows machine to video chat with others using MSN Messenger, which does not support video chat on a Mac. Can you tell me what she needs on her machine so I can connect with her using iChat on my Mac?
Supposedly just newest version of AIM (vers5.5), a webcam, and Windows XP, but thats just what i've heard.

jeffnudi
Apr 4, 2004, 09:33 PM

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules