Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mac minis imminent (June 2005): prediction time!

New Mac minis imminent (June 2005): prediction time!
Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 12:07 PM

Since they're showing 6-8 day shipping delays (where before it was same business day), it's reasonably certain that there are new Mac minis on their way next week. That should give us enough time to offer a few predictions and see if they match reality soon. My own (noteworthy changes in red):

1.33 GHz: 40 GB
1.33 GHz G4
256 MB DDR333 memory
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64 MB video memory
40 GB 5400 RPM ATA hard drive
Combo drive

1.5 GHz: 80 GB
1.5 GHz G4
512 MB DDR333 memory
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64 MB video memory
80 GB 5400 RPM ATA hard drive
Combo drive

Optional
8X dual-layer Superdrive
Airport / Bluetooth 2.0 combo adapter

My thinking is that Apple's emphasis is on making Tiger's special features run well; CPU speed and pure storage capacity aren't as important. The FX 5200U might not be very fast at all, but it's CoreImage capable (gotta have that Dashboard ripple effect!) and would drive larger displays better with the extra memory. The faster hard drives would help with perceived performance, especially with Spotlight searches.

I'll admit that my prediction of 512 MB of RAM on the high-end model is optimistic, but it's there for a few reasons. First, RAM prices have dropped: it isn't as much of a problem now to include 512 MB. Also, G4 prices probably haven't changed much or may have even gone down. I'm sure the hard drive and video hardware prices are lower.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 12:58 PM

I'm hopeful of the GPU and HDD bumps.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 01:00 PM

here's hoping you're right...i like the way that's looking. i know i wouldn't hesitate to get one if this is true.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

radiohed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 03:27 PM

My mini has been on order from the Apple Store since June 7th and the est ship date is 6/24. I hope that does mean an update is coming. Better video and 8x superdrive would be awesome!

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 04:15 PM

Why do they even put ram in there?

I have so many stupid ram chips laying around.

Put a 512 in there, and it's going to waste or craigslist when I drop a 1Gb in there.

This is a all-purpose computer maker rant. Put the minimum amount of ram in there from the factory. Everybody buys and installs aftermarket ram.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

turnedge762
Jun 15, 2005, 04:16 PM

I have the same exact situation radiohed! Here's hoping.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sodamnregistered2
Why do they even put ram in there?

I have so many stupid ram chips laying around.

Put a 512 in there, and it's going to waste or craigslist when I drop a 1Gb in there.

This is a all-purpose computer maker rant. Put the minimum amount of ram in there from the factory. Everybody buys and installs aftermarket ram.
For the target market, 512 MB will probably be fine. Remember, many of the buyers not only couldn't justify the cost of 1 GB of RAM, they might be too nervous to upgrade it themselves!

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
For the target market, 512 MB will probably be fine. Remember, many of the buyers not only couldn't justify the cost of 1 GB of RAM, they might be too nervous to upgrade it themselves!
True, but every user that wants to upgrade to 1GB... which OS X does truly crave... gets stuck with the 512 RAM.

It's a general rant like I said. They put enough ram in there to maintain their price points, but then you have to take that ram out to upgrade.
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 05:00 PM

Optical digital out. Can't really use the Mini as an HTPC until that happens.

-S

honz
Jun 15, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by turnedge762
I have the same exact situation radiohed! Here's hoping.
ditto

radiohed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 07:41 AM

When I checked my order status this morning it says "preparing for shipment" but the specs listed are still the same. Also my order went from "preparing for shipment" last night, back to "sent to manufacturing" this morning and now it is back to "preparing for shipment". Odd.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 05:34 PM

For what it's worth, thinksecret says no new minis are imminent.

-S

radiohed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 06:24 AM

My BTO mini shipped from the Apple Store today. No updates

I can't wait to try out my new mini and Tiger!

Mini 1.25
256 (1gb as soon as it arrives)
Superdrive
80gb Hard Drive

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by radiohed
My BTO mini shipped from the Apple Store today. No updates

I can't wait to try out my new mini and Tiger!

Mini 1.25
256 (1gb as soon as it arrives)
Superdrive
80gb Hard Drive
Tiger is nice. Spotlight is starting to change the way I look for stuff.

Enjoy the Mini.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 12:13 AM

And now we play the waiting game. I wasn't planning on getting a mini, but I really hope they update it before the holiday shopping season. Apple could really use as much PR for the system as possible.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 02:02 AM

Let me be a bit redicious this time

I think Apple will release Mac mini with Intel processor!

Why would I say that? Because Mac mini is always targeted to switchers from PC, and with an Intel based Mac mini, the incentive for the switcher would be even more attractive. At least they can install their own copy of XP they feel they still need of occasional XP work.

I just don't see how Apple can sell new machine that easily without releasing Mactel any sooner.

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 02:40 AM

Damnit... the mini is now back to same day shipping.

Looks like ThinkSecret may be correct.

Drats.

mmaslowski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 07:50 AM

Hello,

Form my point of view it' s highly unlikley that we'll get a chance of seeing updated Mac mini in the nearest 2-3 months.

I think in some reason we may relate the mini to the iBook and PowerBook models. Doesn't sound very apt, but let's give it a try.

If we look at the Mac mini, we can see it's basically a headless iBook. We may get a chance to see the update after or concurrrent with an update of the iBook line. The features commonly indicated by users nowadays, such as enforced GPU or faster hard drives are still the game fot the PowerBook line. Now, if there's any correlation between iBook and Mac mini products, they both may receive some upgraded gear some time in the future (early fall perhaps) but not sooner than the PowerBook. I simply can't imagine the mini having a GPU similar to the PowerBook's Radeon, nor nVidia GPU today. Look at the target. More importantly, both products (the mini and PBs) are key players in European market for example. Any upgrade of the mini might depreciate the PB value in real sales. At least here where I live in.

What do you folks think?
Best regards,

Michael Maslowski

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 04:58 AM

I really want to see the mini transformed into a HTPC. I think it's coming but Apple is holding out for something. Probably that Intel chip that will give it enough horsepower to play back HD material.

For now all I really want is something core graphics enabled, 512 ram and optical digital out. A mega bonus would be a single expansion slot for HD tuner, cablecard or pmcia card.

What would really kick ass is if Apple released a set top box that incorporated the mini, ipod dock, HDTV tuner and DVR capabilities and a 5 channel digital receiver. You can squeeze a 100 watt digital amplifier into a pretty small area.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 07:17 AM

If we assume that the Mini will be among the first to be Intelled, and we know from Steve that the first Intels will be out about year from now, then it seems likely the Mini will receive an update prior to this. Also, this update will have to allow for enough time to elapse between itself and the Intel mod that is to follow (figure eight months minimum). As we approach I-day, it will become increasingly more difficult for Apple to sell non-Intelled Macs. So the time for updates is now. Come 2006, everyone will want to know where the new Intels are. I predict sales are going to dive unless Apple releases compelling updates or drops prices or assures us that the new Intels are not around the corner.

-S

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 11:11 AM

I really think Apple was playing it conservative with the Intel announcement. If OS X has been running on an intel chip since the beginning then you know they have most of their apps ready. It's really only getting the 3rd party developers on board. Another reason for saying a year instead of six months which I believe to be closer the date is that there is a chance that consumers will be less likely to wait before purchasing. If I were in the situation of looking to buy a new Mac now there is no way I would buy if I knew the Intel release was just around the corner. A year, maybe.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 11:44 AM

So you think Intel Minis by Q4/2005 or Q1/2006? It's possible. It would allow developers to get cheap boxes for testing. But it would utterly destroy PowerMac sales. And it would undermine the developers, who need time and accurate info to prepare for the switch. So I don't see it. So now we're back to Steve's original date. That means no Intels until the end of Q2/2006. That's a year. That's too long to go without an update.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 03:16 PM

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 02:48 AM

I must have broke Engadget because I haven't been able to access the site in literally two months. My RSS feed stopped working and trying to access the site just hangs.

WTF?

Summarize the article for me. I miss Engadget. It was my new favorite tech site.

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
I must have broke Engadget because I haven't been able to access the site in literally two months. My RSS feed stopped working and trying to access the site just hangs.

WTF?

Summarize the article for me. I miss Engadget. It was my new favorite tech site.

"Mac Bidouille/Hardmac forum reader Tamb01 was surprised to see the following message after placing an order through the Apple Store for a Mac Mini: “Est. Build On or before 11/07/2005. Replaced with new product.” Note that European dates are reversed, so this could indicate Apple plans to roll out a revision to the Mac Mini line as early as July 11. Minor? Major? Who are we to throw away a blatant excuse for some idle speculation — anybody got a good guess?"
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
Corrupt cached graphics will sometimes make a site inexplicably hang. Try trashing your cache.

-S

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 12:47 AM

Sadly it's not the cache. It doesn't work in any browser on my computer. But I have a feeling it isn't the browser. I have a feeling somethings screwed up with my computer as I also have no sound in Flash, Windows Media Player stopped playing any videos and when it does play one it's worse than usual. Lots of weird stuff. I plan on doing a fresh reinstall this week.

And yes, it's a mini. Weird. Anyone have these problems? I am hoping a reformat and reinstall will fix it all.

cambro
Senior User
Jul 2, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sparkletron
Optical digital out. Can't really use the Mini as an HTPC until that happens.

-S

Forum Links
Forum Rules