Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mispronunciations you DETEST!

Mispronunciations you DETEST! (Page 3)
Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
You're wrong. "Got" and "gotten" are not interchangeable.
OK, here comes Dictionary.app:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.app
get |get| verb ( getting ; past got |gät|; past part. got or gotten
So there's 'gotten' in the OED. I can understand that, since it's in such common use. They even have a 'usage note' which explains the kinds of situations in which 'gotten' might be used. But that does not mean that one is required to use 'gotten' in certain situations, technically 'got' has got the same meaning.

I was simply expressing a personal dislike of the word 'gotten'. Some people agree with me, that's wonderful. Others may not, that's fine too (though I wish they would use a less colloquial term in formal written communication).

I thought this thread was about expressing opinions about words and pronunciations, no?

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
The word 'gotten' is an abomination. I've even seen it in fairly formal communication. 'Got' is perfectly fine (and I'm not even British).
'Gotten' is just as correct as 'got'. Both used to be common in Britain and America as the past participle of 'get', but now only American English still has both forms. They let us make a handy distinction between, for example, 'I haven't got the money' (i.e., I don't have it) and 'I haven't gotten the money' (i.e., I haven't received it) -- a distinction that's been lost across the pond.

People tend to assume that the British variety is older wherever usage differs between Britain and America, but in fact the opposite is often true. 'Gotten' is one example. We've also kept the old word for autumn -- fall -- and the older (and more etymologically correct) -ize spelling in words like 'realize'.

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
heh, who can name the one actual word that rhymes with it?

Simular?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by brink
'Gotten' is just as correct as 'got'. Both used to be common in Britain and America as the past participle of 'get', but now only American English still has both forms. They let us make a handy distinction between, for example, 'I haven't got the money' (i.e., I don't have it) and 'I haven't gotten the money' (i.e., I haven't received it) -- a distinction that's been lost across the pond.

People tend to assume that the British variety is older wherever usage differs between Britain and America, but in fact the opposite is often true. 'Gotten' is one example. We've also kept the old word for autumn -- fall -- and the older (and more etymologically correct) -ize spelling in words like 'realize'.
I did not mean to suggest that 'got' was more correct because it was older, or because it was 'traditional' British usage. In fact, I was aware of that history (and also the history of -ize/-ise) when I made my original post. I simply meant that I don't like 'gotten', and that I feel it is inappropriate in formal documents. See above.

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 12:14 AM

Okily dokily!

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Sep 27, 2005, 12:25 AM

Ok.. i live in Ohio
If you are from Ohio or know anyone from here .. you already understand

they say INNNNsurance not inSURance
they say motorsicle not motorcycle
they say oxiliary not auxilary
they say loulville not louisville
they say rowte not route
Pool and Pull are NOT the same F@#&ing word

and just cause it pisses me off.... when you dont hear someone.. dont say "please" say excuse me.

Ohio seriously needs it's own thread
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 12:36 AM

So there's 'gotten' in the OED. I can understand that, since it's in such common use. They even have a 'usage note' which explains the kinds of situations in which 'gotten' might be used. But that does not mean that one is required to use 'gotten' in certain situations, technically 'got' has got the same meaning.
I said, "'Got' and 'gotten' are not interchangeable." Are you saying that they are? Does "I haven't got the money" really mean both "I don't have the money" and "I haven't gone to get the money" in British English?

I was simply expressing a personal dislike of the word 'gotten'. Some people agree with me, that's wonderful. Others may not, that's fine too (though I wish they would use a less colloquial term in formal written communication).
I'd say you stopped expressing a personal dislike of "gotten" when you mentioned your desire for people to use a "less colloquial term in formal written communication." Is it a fact that "gotten" is more colloquial than "got." I don't think that's the case. Do you have a link?

I thought this thread was about expressing opinions about words and pronunciations, no?
It's my opinion that "gotten" is much more formal than "got." "The members of the Get-Along Gang have got along for a long time." Shudder

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I said, "'Got' and 'gotten' are not interchangeable." Are you saying that they are? Does "I haven't got the money" really mean both "I don't have the money" and "I haven't gone to get the money" in British English?

I'd say you stopped expressing a personal dislike of "gotten" when you mentioned your desire for people to use a "less colloquial term in formal written communication." Is it a fact that "gotten" is more colloquial than "got." I don't think that's the case. Do you have a link?

It's my opinion that "gotten" is much more formal than "got." "The members of the Get-Along Gang have got along for a long time." Shudder
Arguments for not using 'gotten' (or 'got') for that matter: http://users.wpi.edu/~nab/sci_eng/98_May_22.html, http://www.bartleby.com/68/30/2930.html

And, an argument on your side: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_294.html

Go ahead and use 'gotten' if you wish. I will continue to avoid it in favor of either 'got' (if it doesn't sound 'strange') or else try to find some other, more precise term.

Originally Posted by fxbezak
I think these are the same people who say 'fin-ANCE-ing'.
Mostly radio commercial announcers.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 01:08 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong; I don't particularly care for either word in formal communication. There's usually a "better" way.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 02:43 AM

as long as they don't say gots. I gotsta get me some o dat. or "He gots a whole mess a guns in his garage (also a strangely pronounced word)"

has anyone ever heard usually pronounced use-ah-lee, instead of uj-oo-ah-lee (J as in bejjjjing)

I like to pronounce Antenna as An-tanna. You brits call it a aerial. Which I always think is a cool word, but not as cool as an-tanna. And I like the pronunciation They Might Be Giants use in the song James K Polk for Oregon.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 03:07 AM

Do you mean like the 'o' in 'dock'? I've never heard 'offer' pronounced like that (the pronunciation where I live is something like 'auffer').
Or is there yet another pronunciation of 'Nevada' I don't know about?
heh, yeah, "o" as in "dock." Its like "and in Nev-AHHhhHHHHhh-dah," just bugs the hell outta me, don't know why.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

JamesKass
Sep 27, 2005, 03:16 AM

People who use "chomping at the bit" instead of "champing at the bit".
People who say "It's a mute point" instead of "It's a moot point".

GRRRR....
James Kass (no, the other one...)
[email protected]
http://NYComedyRadio.com :)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 05:21 AM

The way Americans pronounce just about any British place name:

It's "Edin-bruh" not "Eding-boro" or "Edin-burg" (Edinburgh)
(same for Scarborough, and any other -orough)

its "Darbee", not "Derbee" (Derby)

it's "Wooster", not "Wor-chester" or "Wor-cester" (Worcester)

It's "York-shuh" not "York-SHIIYRE" (Yorkshire - all "-shires" are pronounced "-shuh")

and it's "Buckin-um Palace", not "Buck-inG-Ham"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
I hate "ofTen" where the "t" is actually enunciated. Maybe one of the linguistic experts can correct me on that being wrong but I hate it just the same.
Both are correct.

Adjectives and adverbs ending in -ft that become adjectives, adverbs, or verbs by adding -en usually do lose the -t-, but in the case of 'often', it may still be retained, if one so desires.

Compare: often [from 'oft']; soften [from 'soft']; fasten [from 'fast']; listen [from *'list']; etc.

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
Oisín's favourite thread, ever.
Well, one of them, surely

volkswahgen vs. folkswahgen

(though that may just be my northern accent...)
Nope. I'd go for 'folksvahgen' as the only 'correct' one (though, as analogika says, it's a foreign word [not even a loan word], so there's more free play). And not 'folk' as the normal English word 'folk' (as in 'my folks'), but pronounced to rhyme with 'bulk'. 'Fulksvahgen'.

Of course, I'd normally just call it Folkevogn, but that's just me and five million other people

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
And Leicester, too.

And how common is in Britain to pronounce Manchester as 'Manster'? I heard it quite a few times, spread out over most of the country, when I was there, but I'd never heard it before.

Ah, I've been pwned! I've always pronounced the g. Not the h, though. Bucking-um is how I've always said it.

I also just adooore it [sarcasm dripping] when Danes pronounce names like David Beckham as Beck-haaaaam, making sure the last syllable is long and sounds exactly like a normal ham. Ngh.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
as long as they don't say gots. I gotsta get me some o dat. or "He gots a whole mess a guns in his garage (also a strangely pronounced word)"
Whenever I venture back to the block, "gotsta" magically returns to the vocabulary. When I leave, it stays there on the block. Uzhalee.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by fxbezak
Ok.. i live in Ohio
If you are from Ohio or know anyone from here .. you already understand

they say motorsicle not motorcycle
they say oxiliary not auxilary
they say loulville not louisville
they say rowte not route
Pool and Pull are NOT the same F@#&ing word

and just cause it pisses me off.... when you dont hear someone.. dont say "please" say excuse me.

Ohio seriously needs it's own thread
Funny post. But all I know is, the correct way of saying "Route 66" is ROOT 66.

The ONLY time ROWTE is acceptable in this context is when Nat King Cole, in singing the Bobby Troupe classic, pronounces it that way as though saying it in jest or in an amiable tip of the cap to those who might INSIST their inferior pronunciation be given some recognition.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
And how common is in Britain to pronounce Manchester as 'Manster'? I heard it quite a few times, spread out over most of the country, when I was there, but I'd never heard it before.
Never heard it.

Ah, I've been pwned! I've always pronounced the g. Not the h, though. Bucking-um is how I've always said it.
We say it "Buck-ing-ham" here.

(and that's less than 30 miles away from Gee4orce. I don't know what retarded part of the county he comes from)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 09:13 AM

One more: a 'written mispronunciation'. When people write K to signify 'okay'. I'm fine with OK, or just 'kay, if you want to show that particular pronunciation. But just K is so annoying.

Originally Posted by Doofy
(and that's less than 30 miles away from Gee4orce. I don't know what retarded part of the county he comes from)
Well, that was only completely self-contradictory...

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 09:13 AM

It's like being a vegetarian at work and the boss is buying pizzas for all. NOBODY wants JUST cheese and so only one cheese pizza is ordered. But when they arrive EVERYONE wants to try some of the cheese pizza so all you get is one measly slice.

Well, this is SOMETHING like that.

There are relatively few threads devoted to grammar. Yuck. Who'd be interested in that!?

But when it starts, EVERYBODY likes it and it flows from one subject of language to another.

It's all good.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
There are relatively few threads devoted to grammar. Yuck. Who'd be interested in that!?
Me?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 09:16 AM

If people say that, you and Peter should just served them to Pho in retribution.
ROFLMAO!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 09:23 AM

Me?

I'll keep that in mind! And you will, of course, remember me when it comes to: warning the world of the dangers of an oil shortage, proclaiming the evils of Ms. Sheehan and linking them both to OBL!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 09:25 AM

Well, that was only completely self-contradictory...
Not really. I know I'm in the same county as Gee4orce but not where he is. Nowhere in the county is more than 30 miles away.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by brink

What makes you think that Brits don't use the word gotten?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 09:44 AM

Axing questions...

Excaping from prison...

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 09:53 AM

I hate it when people pronounce "router", "rooter" (as in root beer) instead of "rauter" as in "auto".

/let the flamefest begin. *g*

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 10:09 AM

Not really. I know I'm in the same county as Gee4orce but not where he is. Nowhere in the county is more than 30 miles away.
Oops, I misread 'county' for 'country' in your first post. I thought you said he was 30 miles away, but you didn't know which end of the country he was in

Originally Posted by Warung
I hate it when people pronounce "router", "rooter" (as in root beer) instead of "rauter" as in "auto".
Oh, so you want it to be like raw-ter, izzit?

Are you talking about network routers, or the carpentry plane thingamalingy, by the way?

SVass
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 10:22 AM

Surname and location pronunciations by those who don't make an effort to use one preferred by the owner(s) at the time. Illinoiz (Illinoy), New Orleens (Orluns), and Biloxi (Biluxi) are current examples. By the way, double negatives were (and still are) correct when used for emphasis. sam

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 27, 2005, 10:37 AM

My GF's sis-in-law speaks fluent Italian, and she says "expresso". Drives me up the wall, particularly because it's spelled "espresso" in Italian.

However, some English dictionaries seem to accept the spelling "expresso" now.

Bucknam Pellis

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 11:15 AM

I did a quick scan of the thread and didn't see this...if it's been mentioned, please forklift me.

I find it annoying when escalator is pronounced esc-U-lator, percalator as perc-U-lator and so on...there's a whole bunch of similar words where some people throw that u in there. Stop it. We're running out of u's because of you.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 27, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
percolator as perc-U-lator
Fixinated.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 11:53 AM

We say it "Buck-ing-ham" here.

??????? Well, 30 miles away from you, by the sound of it

C'mon. The only person who pronounces every single phoneme if 'Buckingham Palace' is the bloody queen ! I suppose what I was trying to get at was the American tourist pronunciation where the '-HAM' part is very clear. Most Brits would say '-UM'

Dpn't we have any Welsh folk here ? They must be pretty wound up, because nobody can pronounce Welsh placenames (including the Welsh, I suspect).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 12:02 PM

Don't we have any Welsh folk here ? They must be pretty wound up, because nobody can pronounce Welsh placenames (including the Welsh, I suspect).
What are you talking about? There's nothing simpler to pronounce than Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwillllantisili ogogogoch!

Besides, Welsh place names are a lot easier to pronounce than English ones, 'cause they're all pronounced regularly, no silly exceptions.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 12:13 PM

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwillllantisili ogogogoch!
Which, of course, is pronounced like 'strawberry'.

D. Hendrickson
Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Sep 27, 2005, 12:20 PM

"for sell" instead of "for sale"

"mouf" instead of "mouth"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 12:58 PM

Which, of course, is pronounced like 'strawberry'.
See, piece of cake.

Scientist
Senior User
Sep 27, 2005, 01:32 PM

It is Zo-ology (Rhymes with "toe"-ology)
NOT
Zoo-ology (The place where animals are kept.)

And I don't care what the dictionary says, I am right.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 01:43 PM

The way Americans pronounce just about any British place name:

It's "Edin-bruh" not "Eding-boro" or "Edin-burg" (Edinburgh)
(same for Scarborough, and any other -orough)

its "Darbee", not "Derbee" (Derby)

It's "York-shuh" not "York-SHIIYRE" (Yorkshire - all "-shires" are pronounced "-shuh")

I grew up in New England, so I know how to pronounce Woos-tah. As for the rest, let's make a deal -- we'll stop mispronouncing your place names if you stop mispronouncing ours. Lesson one: the 'Las' in Las Vegas is pronounced [lɑs], not [læs]...

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Black Book
What makes you think that Brits don't use the word gotten?
It isn't especially common in Britain. Or is it?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 02:34 PM

I remember being in a restaurant a few years ago and hearing the lady next to me order the fajitas pronouncing it with a hard j. I couldn't stop laughing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
When people pronounce forte as "four-tay" rather than "fort".
Yeah, thanks to Starbucks: Grande latte !

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by teney7
Des Moines vs. Dez Moinez
uhhh... come on, people
Mwahahaha.

-t

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 04:38 PM

I do tend to pronounce 'shoppe' as 'shoppie' to call attention to the stupidity of the spelling.
But if I ever go to Brooklyn, I might have to abandon that practice to avoid confusion with felt-tip markers.

Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 05:13 PM

Labotary!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 05:15 PM

mature > "mah-TOOR" ??

that's like 50s grandma old school.

...and all the twisted up ebonics crap bugs the sh!t out of me.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scientist
It is Zo-ology (Rhymes with "toe"-ology)
NOT
Zoo-ology (The place where animals are kept.)

And I don't care what the dictionary says, I am right.
Well, I'll smack you with it anyway: both are correct!

'Zoo' (the place where animals are kept) is an abbreviation of zoological garden, so how can zoology (and thereby zoological) not be with a long o?

undotwa
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 06:41 PM

Also not a mispronunciation. In fact, historically speaking, ['ɛksɪt] is the mispronunciation, since an x between two vowels (where the x is not the beginning of a new syllable, in Greek loan words) was pronounced as -gz-, not -ks-, in 16th century Latin, which is where the word is taken from.
Do you have a source for that? 'x' is always pronounced 'ks' in Latin as far as I know.
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 07:04 PM

Well, I'll smack you with it anyway: both are correct!

'Zoo' (the place where animals are kept) is an abbreviation of zoological garden, so how can zoology (and thereby zoological) not be with a long o?
Whenever I see the word 'Zoological' I have an urge to split the 'oo' into two syllables.
In vino veritas.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before... but I was just thinking about how I missed the Greek festival here in Vegas and it reminded me: Gyros. I think its pronounced similar to "euro," or something like that, NOT "guy-roh" or "jai-roh." I don't care a whole lot, but I have a couple of Greek friends...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules