Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Reload an ActiveX control in the browser

Reload an ActiveX control in the browser
go4kpo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 07:57 AM

Does somebody know if it's possible to reload an activex control embedded in an HTML page, without reloading the page?

I want to be able to dynamically load the ActiveX control with differnt property settings.

i cannot just change the propeties of the control because the control is build that it reads the values when it initializes and then sets a local variable, which i don't have access to later on. So i wasn't able to realod the activex with different paramas without reloading the page.

http://www.go4kpo.com

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2005, 10:09 AM

We're a Mac site; we have no experience with ActiveX controls. Neither should anyone else, frankly. Use a real standard, or a Java applet if nothing else will work. ActiveX is a fundamentally-flawed trechnology which has caused more problems than it has ever solved.

What exactly is it that you want to do? We may know of a better solution than ActiveX; such solutions exist in almost every case.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2005, 07:06 AM

Not having used ActiveX in more than 5 years, this solution may be completely stupid (and I don't even know if IE supports what I'm about to write, because I don't script for it anymore).

But something like replacing the <object> with a clone of it would seem to work.

Code:
var my_object = document.getElementById("my_object"); var new_object = my_object.cloneNode(true); my_object.parentNode.replaceChild(new_object, my_object);
That's assuming the ActiveX control is embedded as an <object> tag with an id of `my_object'.

And yeah, I know IE lets you get elements by just referring to a global var of their ID, but that's just wrong
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
We're a Mac site; we have no experience with ActiveX controls. Neither should anyone else, frankly. Use a real standard, or a Java applet if nothing else will work. ActiveX is a fundamentally-flawed trechnology which has caused more problems than it has ever solved.

What exactly is it that you want to do? We may know of a better solution than ActiveX; such solutions exist in almost every case.
I agree with the sentiment, but there's no way I'd ever presume to know what 'we' have experience with, given a good deal of the members here have skills in all sorts of web development.
Computer thez nohhh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules