Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrade to Tiger?

Upgrade to Tiger?
intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2005, 09:49 PM

i have a G3 Ibook 300+Ram 30GB HD ... i guess my computer is basically havin problems and I am wondering if my computer can handle the Tiger version does anyone think i should upgrade or just find a panther disk and install all over. My computer wont start up at all so i'm stuck an need some advice whats the best thing to do

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 10:15 PM

I'd worry more about getting my computer to start back up. Hope you have a backup.

Use your Panther disk vs. spending money on Tiger. Good luck.

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 07:58 PM

I have 2 macs and 2 pc's ....as u cn see with that i am beyond into computers but i havn't been usin my macs as much as i should but since i plan on learnin an majorin in computers and health i jus figure learn both so i got the G3 and now its down..ugh . But yeah ... the panther disk is only 10.3 that i used on it at first but i updated an all that wit the patches they give u online an it got to 10.8 an i dunno if a panther 10.3 would work because thats downgrading...would it still work??

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 10:40 PM

Hm. In one of your other threads, you mentioned disabling Deep Freeze, then asked for advice on pirating the OS.

Sounds to me like you ripped off a floor model Mac and are trying to get us to be your tech support (I mean, who outside of retail stores actually installs Deep Freeze? Anyone?!?).

Just my 2ยข.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 12:16 AM

i dunno if u ever have friends who come over an borrow 15 cd's an download a bunch of music you dont listen to an bookmark a bunch of crap an click on every add and install **** into your computer when you let them on it but i do and so i got it from a friend who recommended it and said it prevents spyware and all that so i got it on there. I started to tamper with it and It freaked out on me an now i have the problem i do now. I know how to disable deep freeze because according to deep freeze i did disable it but i want to DELETE/UNINSTALL it if you read.

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 13, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by intervenetd2
i dunno if u ever have friends who come over an borrow 15 cd's an download a bunch of music you dont listen to an bookmark a bunch of crap an click on every add and install **** into your computer when you let them on it but i do and so i got it from a friend who recommended it and said it prevents spyware and all that so i got it on there. I started to tamper with it and It freaked out on me an now i have the problem i do now. I know how to disable deep freeze because according to deep freeze i did disable it but i want to DELETE/UNINSTALL it if you read.
Then tell them not to install things on your Mac? Give them an account that doesn't allow them to install apps.

Besides that.. What spyware? On a Mac?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2005, 02:20 AM

i have a G3 Ibook 300+Ram 30GB HD ... i guess my computer is basically havin problems and I am wondering if my computer can handle the Tiger version does anyone think i should upgrade or just find a panther disk and install all over. My computer wont start up at all so i'm stuck an need some advice whats the best thing to do
Do not, EVER, post this message again in every single thread you looked at. You started a thread, that is enough.

Do not post any messages in more than one thread, and only then in a relevant one.

tooki

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2005, 10:11 AM

... i plan on learnin an majorin in computers and ...
In your schooling be sure to get adequate training in:
1) Ethics (esp. re piracy).
2) Security (esp. re preventing access to your hardware and setting up a (non-admin) user for use by untrustworthy "friends".)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 11:12 PM

Yeah mm hmm whatever you say. So theres nothing illegal about talking about it. I'm not making a bomb or bomb threat. Use your brain. How old are you kids anyways?? I mean really you guys are a super size of [] ...for the dummies that dont understand. It means about 90% of you are squares. I have mastered HTML and web page designs. I just got this mac because they are supposed to be better with graphics so I now am on one and this is the first mac forum i've been on and compared to usual PC users, you guys are some dorks.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 11:40 PM

To answer your question, Yes. I think you should go to your nearest Apple Store and purchase a box set of Tiger and load it on your iBook. I mean, why not?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 10:55 AM

Yeah mm hmm whatever you say. So theres nothing illegal about talking about it. I'm not making a bomb or bomb threat. Use your brain. How old are you kids anyways?? I mean really you guys are a super size of [] ...for the dummies that dont understand. It means about 90% of you are squares. I have mastered HTML and web page designs. I just got this mac because they are supposed to be better with graphics so I now am on one and this is the first mac forum i've been on and compared to usual PC users, you guys are some dorks.
Nice. Insult the very people you are seeking out for help (admins included). And we're the "dummies"...

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2005, 11:16 AM

Is that James?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2005, 11:20 AM

No, but it's bad style that is not appreciated in any forum. So please stop insulting people. Just because you master hmtl (some of us do that, too), doesn't mean you know something about hardware. Consider yourself warned.

If an old windows laptop won't start Windows 2k, the solution is not to try to install Windows XP on it, especially if you have to pay for it. BTW, I also don't think your iBook is compatible with Tiger.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 12:03 PM

If an old windows laptop won't start Windows 2k, the solution is not to try to install Windows XP on it, especially if you have to pay for it. BTW, I also don't think your iBook is compatible with Tiger.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that does make some sense there, but ok well the problem is obviouslly the deepfreeze then cuz everything was working untill i messed with it but i remember after i was messing with it, I dunno if i disabled root user mode. Then i ended up deleting the "system adminstrator" user and then I went to deep freeze in root mode and went to deepfreeze then uninstalled it buuut it didn't do anythin so i resetted then i'm stuck at the problem i'm in now. Basically you know how you go to command S and it takes you to sort of the mac version of dos mode....well is it possible for me to delete it from there because the deep freeze is the problem i think. But I'm not sure what u guys do

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 12:26 PM

You deleted the root (System Administrator) account?

That can't be good. There are various processes that run as root, and if you did in fact delete root (System Administrator) then those processes won't be able to start. Also still not sure why you would have even bothered with this Deep Freeze app or whatever it's called. I think you're going to be better off re-installing the OS (however you decide to do that is up to you).

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2005, 12:43 PM

Yeah that does make some sense there, but ok well the problem is obviouslly the deepfreeze then cuz everything was working untill i messed with it but i remember after i was messing with it, I dunno if i disabled root user mode. Then i ended up deleting the "system adminstrator" user and then I went to deep freeze in root mode and went to deepfreeze then uninstalled it buuut it didn't do anythin so i resetted then i'm stuck at the problem i'm in now. Basically you know how you go to command S and it takes you to sort of the mac version of dos mode....well is it possible for me to delete it from there because the deep freeze is the problem i think. But I'm not sure what u guys do
It's not dos mode, it's a unix' single-user root shell. The root user is the equivalent of Windows' internal admin account. You should never mess with OS X as root if you don't know what you are doing. Similarly, you should never mess with that internal admin account of Windows NT/2k/XP unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Since you obviously don't know what you have been doing, we cannot give you and advice on how to undo the damage short of re-installing OS X. You don't need to buy Tiger, though, you can just take your 10.3 cds and then start the installation as usual.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 12:44 PM

so i got it [Deep Freeze] from a friend who recommended it and said it prevents spyware and all that so i got it on there. I started to tamper with it and It freaked out on me an now i have the problem i do now. I know how to disable deep freeze because according to deep freeze i did disable it but i want to DELETE/UNINSTALL it if you read.
Yeah right. Deep Freeze is used by schools, libraries, healthcare, government, etc. You didn't happen to get your iBook via a 5-finger discount?

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 02:46 PM

ARE YOU DUMB ? I posted probably 2 times that my friend said it was good for keeping trojans out of your computer because it deletes or refreshes that account on which you set the deepfreeze to clean up . Also I said in a earlier post an I know we've all had theres where friends come over and install buncha crap and songs an do whatever they do sooo i got it to refresh that way i wouldn't have to manually do it. That is why schools use it mainly. Also makes it so you restrict certain things they can do. Anyways I been workin on it and this is where i'm at

I turn on the computer
it starts up and goes to the login sn
I loggin and it says "logging in" ((before the loggin screen didn't even show up it just went to a plain blue screen))
Then after i login , the desktop does load

that is where i am at now. I must have done something right because now i am able to get to the login screen and the Deep Freeze Polar bear icon no longer shows up. Still not sure where to go from here

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
You deleted the root (System Administrator) account?

That can't be good. There are various processes that run as root, and if you did in fact delete root (System Administrator) then those processes won't be able to start. Also still not sure why you would have even bothered with this Deep Freeze app or whatever it's called. I think you're going to be better off re-installing the OS (however you decide to do that is up to you).

Yeah i feel like ...i'm sure that is probably where i went wrong also. But is there any way of getting System Admin ((ROOT)) back, since i cant get to the desktop?? I have been tweakin some things in SU mode which is gettin me somewhere but that last step is to get the desktop to show up. I ran FSCK and it checked the hard drive and no problems were found so I'm a bit lost though

OreoCookie
Dec 16, 2005, 10:48 PM

Ok, first of all, there are no known trojans and spyware for the Mac. The only use for deep freeze-type of software I could think of are computer labs, internet cafes, etc.

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 07:42 PM

oh , i dont know about all that stuff i jus got word from a friend an just went with it. I didn't think to hard about it , but if you use a pc u know its a pain to keep gettin these trojans, I'm jus not sure about macs or anythin if they can get them. But it looks like you guys are just saying to get the 3 cd's of Panther and start over

OreoCookie
Dec 17, 2005, 08:19 PM

oh , i dont know about all that stuff i jus got word from a friend an just went with it. I didn't think to hard about it , but if you use a pc u know its a pain to keep gettin these trojans, I'm jus not sure about macs or anythin if they can get them. But it looks like you guys are just saying to get the 3 cd's of Panther and start over
There are no known viruses or trojans for OS X yet.

The safest bet would be to reinstall 10.3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules