Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto - too slow?

iPhoto - too slow?
reemas
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 07:05 PM

i sort of switched from iPhoto to iView media. im a bit dissappointed in iPhoto's sluggishness on my 1gb ram 1.67 PB.

i also noticed the thumbnails in iView are incredibly sharp - only someone who's used iView will really understand this - and it also scrolls much more smoothly.

however, i miss the native integration of iPhoto by the operating system.
i have roughly 10,000 photos and videos and is it just me... or is iPhoto running slow for you as well?

even quitting iphoto takes a minute. anyone with 5,000 + photos have this problem?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 09:20 PM

What system are you on? What version of OSX? What version of iPhoto?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 10:18 PM

iPhoto version 5.0.3 on os x 10.4.2 on a pb 1.67 w/1gb ram.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 11:05 PM

I thought it was just me.

iPhoto takes forever to close, and whilst running it causes horrific slowdown in any other app I try to interact with.

10.4.2 w/768mb RAM. 10'000+ photos.
http://www.yongfook.com

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jul 26, 2005, 11:07 PM

yeah i moved over to iview... its like the "itunes" for photos... well almost. but its many times smoother than iphoto. has anyone here seen the quality of the thumbnails in iview? insane. compare that to iphoto

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 01:11 AM

Same here. iView is blazingly fast compared to iPhoto, and it uses very little RAM in comparison. It doesn't look quite as nice (I miss the zooming in and out of thumbnails), and is certainly less well-integrated into the OS, though.

Just 2 days ago I had a little e-mail exchange with Norbert Doehner, programmer of (equally fast, and not -yet- winning any beauty prices) CDFinder, which relates to this:

(me): It's interesting to see IMHO that I have many programs that look
(somewhat) old, but work much better, faster, and with lots less RAM
that the "modern" Cocoa alternatives -- CDFinder vs. Catalog, iView
Media Pro vs. iPhoto, GraphicConverter vs. ?...

(Norbert): Well, that comes from the fact that if is comes to raw processing
speed and power, Carbon and a non-object approach still beat
everything else hands down. I am using Cocoa for four years already
for another product, and while it really is wonderful, and makes
designing nice user interfaces great, if it comes to huge amounts of
data, which CDFinder has to handle, there is no way that the object
oriented approach could deal with this.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 01:50 AM

Which is completely untrue if you do it right.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2005, 02:59 PM

I recently upgraded to iPhoto 5 and have the latest 5.0.3 update and it is more like a downgrade from iPhoto 4. Opening the program is instant but loading my library takes a few minutes and slows the entire system down. When I have iPhoto open now there is a lot of hard disk thrashing going on, also... and I don't know why because my library is on an external FireWire drive. I'm a little frustrated about this, since now it takes forever to do anything in iPhoto.

My specs:
TiBook G4 400
512MB
10GB
80GB external FireWire
OS X 10.4.3
AirPort
iPhoto 5.0.3
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 07:13 PM

I've got iPhoto 5.0.4 and have not had any problems loading a bunch more pictures from this Christmas. ¿Check your software updates for that latest maybe to see if it's any better?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

dru
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Which is completely untrue if you do it right.
Apple doesn't know how to do it right, obviously.

The object-oriented programming method has been about reducing duplication, enhancing code reuse, improving code maintenance and perhaps reducing bugs. It's not about raw performance. As with so many things, there's a gap between "do it right" from a practical view and that of a theory.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2006, 08:17 PM

I still seem to be having the same problems even after upgrading to iPhoto 5.0.4 and getting the latest OS X 10.4.4 update just released. I've ordered iLife '06 and hope that iPhoto 6 is better, or I'm gonna want my money back!

Here's another example of how horrible iPhoto has been: If the app is the frontmost and I click to another app (dock or click the window) iPhoto goes to the back and starts beachballing and then there's a lot of hard disk activity (but my iPhoto library is on an external FireWire drive that shows hardly any activity). I'm looking to up my memory to 1GB soon... Maybe this will help, but I still don't understand why my hard drive is thrashing around.

I'm still not satisfied with iPhoto 5!
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

I have the same problem, iPond317... it's been widely mentioned on Apple's own discussion forums. I have ordered iLife '06 and am hoping it'll fix at least this problem. One of Steve's keynote references was to improved iPhoto performance.

iPhoto is one of the primary reasons why I bought a Mac 18 months ago, I'd hate to drop it and have to pay for something else.

nato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 10:23 AM

I'm having the same problems too. Also, since upgading to iLife '05, iPhoto won't let me export photo's to Adobe Photoshop.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 10:30 AM

Get more RAM and get over with it. Less that 1GB RAM in 2006? Not going to work.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 10:59 AM

More RAM isn't the solution... I've got 768MB RAM now and just over half of it is in use with iPhoto loaded with 7500 pics in my library.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 11:36 AM

I went the other way, iPhoto to iView. Yes I've found iPhoto slow and limitiing especially compared to iView. Granted when I made the jump it was a couple of years ago and iPhoto did not have the features it now has.

Why do you drop iView

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by EmmEff
I have the same problem, iPond317... it's been widely mentioned on Apple's own discussion forums. I have ordered iLife '06 and am hoping it'll fix at least this problem. One of Steve's keynote references was to improved iPhoto performance.

iPhoto is one of the primary reasons why I bought a Mac 18 months ago, I'd hate to drop it and have to pay for something else.
Yeah, yesterday I was browsing the Apple discussion boards for iPhoto and read all the posts about the makernote bug and how to remove the EXIF data from the files in the library, but that is just way too much work! Personally, I think Apple owes iPhoto 5 users a free upgrade (if not to 6 then give us an updated 5.0.5!)

I did read, however, that iPhoto 6 does in fact fix the makernote problem. Last night I spent a few hours exporting my library and trying to get the damn EXIF remover program to work properly! I'm just going to wait for iPhoto 6 to hit my doorsteps!

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 01:37 PM

Removing EXIF data is a far from optimal solution. I will not do that under any circumstance!

Forum Links
Forum Rules