Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Misha??

Misha??
shmerek
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 02:39 PM

Is Misha still a admin here? I haven't seen him around since the NFN stepped in.

Misha
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 05:11 PM

I assume I am, unless someone changed my status, but it doesn't mean anything. I'm no longer with MacNN, which is one of the main reasons you've seen the devastation that NFN has created... the lack of updates on the weekend... the lack of updates until noon today and yesterday... the lack of WWDC coverage... the lack of reviews... the lack of civil forum moderation... etc. etc...

Sorry guys. I really am. I gave 4 years to MacNN. It's a shame to see something you built seemingly crumble so quickly. (And, no, I had zero ownership in MacNN, had zero say in the sell-out, and received zero dollars from it.)

You'll likely hear more from me on this later tonight... a final adieu, if you may.

It's been real.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 05:50 PM

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 05:51 PM

Your status got changed right when I replied.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 06:15 PM

Misha let me say that I am sorry that all this crap has happened and I hope that everything works out for you. I don't know you personally but I want to thank you for all the work you have put in at MacNN and say I have developed a great respect for you and the way you moderated these boards.
Best of luck.

elzinat
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 06:51 PM

Misha, it's a shame to see you go and this happen to MacNN.
Thank you for all that you have put into this site. You've been a great administrator, moderator, and member, and it's been good working with you.
Where ever you go next, we wish you the best of luck.
Fare well

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 07:01 PM

This is horrable

------------------
i want my posts back all 65 NOW!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 07:25 PM

It's weird seeing you as just a mod, Misha. You've always been the big nuts around here.

So is NFR the only admin? Wow, I can't believe the totally took the forums like that.

Hey, NewsFactor... You've never once, ever, responded to a word I've said. That doesn't mean you have to this time either. All I really want is for you to change your name. You are no longer "NewsFactor Response." You've responded. Get a cooler name. Like "David" or something. Something we can "know" you by. NewsFactor Response sucks (although it made sense at the time).

------------------

Cipher13
May 22, 2001, 08:03 PM

Misha - I can't email from where I am right now, could you email me at [email protected] with an email address of yours I can contact you by? I mean [email protected] isn't an option, so...

Thanks. This really bites, by the way... sorry to see you go

Please email me.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 08:12 PM

Misha,

Thanks you very much for giving us some insight to what is going on. I hate to say it, but MacNN is no longer my homepage .

This site used to be like slashdot for mac users, but now its just dumb hacked up mac news that can be found on any other site on the web... and probably earlier too.

I've begun to read MacCentral again. They're better then this, and I bet they are falling in love with MacNN's quick death.

This is kind of sad. Kind of like when a good TV show goes off the air after a long haul.
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 08:29 PM

thanks misha

foobars
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 08:49 PM

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 08:54 PM

This is not great news.

Misha, I'm sorry it has come to this. I've been fortunate to be able to rely on your knowledge to help me get up and running with my comp.

If you really are out of here, I assume you'll land in a better circumstance elsewhere, and I look forward to seeing your opinions somewhere else on the web.

Thanks again,

T

parallax
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 09:01 PM

Misha! No!
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

mindwaves
May 22, 2001, 09:07 PM

I am sorry to see you leave Misha. The MacNFN thing has been terrible and I wish that you had a say. The real MacNN will surely be missed and it will never be the same without it and without you. Thank you for all your caring responses and criticism of everything that everyone has done. This is my last post in these forums until something is done about it. Once again, I am sorry to see you leave, and good luck in your future.

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 09:39 PM

We'll all miss ya Misha...

I may have said some not-so-nice things about you in the past... but all in the spirit of good humor

You are one of the main reasons the fora have (had) stayed... the way they were before NFN... for so long.

Hope you find yourself a place somewhere else on the Mac web!
And be happy!

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 10:42 PM

Oh man ... what a bummer.

BTW, Dave has taken a new name ("Dave-NFN"), and he's not planning on being the moderator or anything. I suppose he'll take care of backend stuff and new moderator creation, but for now four mods are running the lounge.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it takes four of us to fill Misha's shoes. It's truly surreal seeing him without his red stars, though.

Good luck, Misha, and may we find you well wherever life's path decides to take you.

gorgonzola

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 11:38 PM

Adieu, Misha, and good luck!

antonio (tooki)

mkbhatia
Administrator
May 23, 2001, 12:01 AM

I am hoping that this is a bit premature, as Misha has not even told me about his final adieu. We last talked this afternoon, so I'm hoping the posting was /before/ our conversation. =) I've called him to talk about this, so I'm sure I'll get the real scoop soon enough.

In any case, Misha has been very valuable and contributed greatly to MacNN-especially here in the forums; however, to be fair to other staff (and myself =), he had the most of "glory" as he interacted with forum members on a daily basis, while other staff (myself included) spent time other "behind-the-scenes" aspects of MacNN. This is not to undermine his contribution, but merely to reiterate that his departure, while disheartening and somewhat disappointing, does not necessarily mean the end of MacNN.

If he chooses to leave, I only hope that I can find other contributors as talented, knowledgeable, and dedicated as he was. I do wish him well and hope that others continue to appreciate him and efforts whereever he goes (as well as in this thread--he deserves it!).

best,
monish

[This message has been edited by mkbhatia (edited 05-23-2001).]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 02:47 AM

Misha: I'm saddened to read of your departure, and I wish you all the best. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work as a mod here. Good luck! I'll see you around the Web sometime.

Monish: I also wish you the best of luck in getting MacNN back on its feet. Clearly it's a difficult time for all concerned, but I'm hoping MacNN can still be a great site.

JudyM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 06:50 AM

Misha--thanks for your efforts! Best wishes...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2001, 08:00 AM

So long.

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jholmes
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 08:21 AM

So, Monish, what I then understand is that while you and those others "behind the scenes" sold out MacNN, your writers, Misha and the Mods who deal with the Forum Members are left hanging without any idea of who they work for and are supposed to calm this mess that you created.

As the owner of MacNN I certainly hope that you now understand the size and passion of this community which you have obviously taken for granted and so recently profited from by your sell-out.

Many in this Forum are angry at NewsFactor for exercising their right to do what they wish with their acquisition. I don't blame News Factor.

I blame you. You're the one who sold us all out.

I think you are far too lax in your appreciation of Misha's talents and contributions to these boards. More than just your point man to the forums, Misha has always shown good sense in when to step in and when to leave a situation alone. A difficult task (as your new partners have seen by banning, unbanning and deleting and reinstating) given the large number of personalities cruising through here. The loss of his impact here will be potentially far greater than everything else you've screwed up so far.

Adios Misha. You will be greatly missed, but then so will MacNN.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Cipher13
May 23, 2001, 08:32 AM

JHolmes... easy there... I get the feeling Monish had little choice in the sell out - it was probably either that, or have MacNN just disappear from the Internet forever. Financial issues, etc... you know the drill.

It probably really pained Monish to see this happen to his creation. I'm not trying to excuse anything... just justify... but its not really up to me. Oh well.

------------------

PowerBookDude
May 23, 2001, 09:10 AM

Misha,

I'm sorry to see you go. You will be missed.

I always wanted to be a friend of yours. Now I may never know if you felt the same way towards me.

You were a great Admin and (still is) a great person.

Good Bye Misha!

PowerBookDude

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 11:10 AM

Thanks Mish

and good/better luck in the future

Actually, I reckon you are better off out of it now.

What a nightmare

N_D_Y

------------------
In the landscape of Spring, there is neither better nor worse. The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short. - ZEN SAYING
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 01:22 PM

Misha,

I haven't posted regularly for awhile but you have always been very helpful. If you are leaving then that really says something about what kind of site this will be...bad. This was my absolute favorite site but I see it crumbling before my eyes. I am trying to be open minded about this thing but everything I see about this News factor thing is so negative. Good luck to you Misha. I hope we'll see you on another Mac news site sometime soon.

-Mike

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 02:38 PM

Thanks, Misha for the cool-headed moderation and, especially, the well-written and objective product reviews. You had more influence on my purchasing decisions than my girlfriend(!).

I'm bummed. Drat.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2001, 09:46 PM

Misha, you graced MacNN and its forums with thoughtful consistancy, eloquent writing, and a WICKED sense of humor that served us all well.

I personally appreciate the difference you made here.

Thank you.

------------------
[email protected]
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Cipher13
May 24, 2001, 12:38 AM

One final word... on a lighter note...

"pony"

LOL!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-24-2001).]

RWoelk
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 02:09 AM

Really sorry to hear this, Misha. Losing the Senate to the Dems, and now you too. This is almost more than I can bear!

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

[This message has been edited by RWoelk (edited 05-24-2001).]

elzinat
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
One final word... on a lighter note...

"pony"

LOL!

LOL

is what I'm supposed to write. although it somehow doesn't quite seem appropriate. : |

eh! what the hell!
LOL

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

PowerBookDude
May 24, 2001, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by elzinat:
LOL

is what I'm supposed to write. although it somehow doesn't quite seem appropriate. : |

eh! what the hell!
LOL

A lighter note...

Cipher and elzinat becoming more like me! Cool!

Ahhh well!

LOL

Everybody loves....

- PBDude

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2001, 04:53 PM

Ciao Misha. I've already said this in the lounge...but I really should have said it hear. You did a great job...don't let any one ever tell you that you didn't.

Yeah man...you were great. I haven't seen any more posts from you...so I assume i am just talking out loud now, and not to anyone...

Play it cool Misha.

I just wish that you say what the Terminator said...

"I'll be back"

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Cipher13
May 24, 2001, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:
A lighter note...

Cipher and elzinat becoming more like me! Cool!
Uh... how so?

------------------

PowerBookDude
May 25, 2001, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Uh... how so?

LOL

PBDude

poocat
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 12:13 PM

thanks misha.
you were a huge part of why we're all here so often.

good luck.

poocat.

(and hey, if the old design is back... )
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2001, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
Really sorry to hear this, Misha. Losing the Senate to the Dems, and now you too. This is almost more than I can bear!

Actually, I'm pretty jazzed about the Senate returning to the good guys. I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before one of the few quality Republicans (I used to be one, too) finally realized that they just couldn't serve under traitors like Trent Lott for long. Way to go Jim! When the only reason that good legislation is stuck in Committee is that more than 90% of the HMO Pac money goes to the Republican party, even when 64 Senators want to vote yes on a bill and when 68% of Americans want it... Boy, we got a problem there.

As for the change at MacNN. I'm really sorry about that Misha. You're the best. You were always on top of everything.

PeteWK - Independant.

kingturd
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 02:30 AM

Odd turn the thread has taken... goodbye Misha, hello CSPAN

I've never ever communicated with Misha, but I've seen how big of an effect he has had on MacNN and I've always appreciated it and have had great respect for him. It's sad to see him go and I wish him the greatest of luck in the future.

elzinat
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:
LOL

PBDude
LOL

ps. :blech!:

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

iPaul UK
Senior User
May 27, 2001, 08:56 AM

This is terrible! Misha was/is by far the best Mod this place had! And without him it's sure to be complete anarchy in the iBook forum! Cos it seems no one else can be bothered to moderate it! In fact, I think I'll be buying a G4 instead of a new iBook. That way at least I can make more use of an at least pretty well moderated forum

All the Best to you Misha..

PowerBookDude
May 29, 2001, 09:44 AM

So, is Misha back or no?

PBDude

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2001, 06:38 PM

Man alive, PBD! Just wait till Monish's announcement. No one knows about Misha yet. When things are wrapped up he'll post.

Please stop asking about Misha. Answers are coming.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by PeteWK:
Actually, I'm pretty jazzed about the Senate returning to the good guys. I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before one of the few quality Republicans (I used to be one, too) finally realized that they just couldn't serve under traitors like Trent Lott for long. Way to go Jim! When the only reason that good legislation is stuck in Committee is that more than 90% of the HMO Pac money goes to the Republican party, even when 64 Senators want to vote yes on a bill and when 68% of Americans want it... Boy, we got a problem there.
PeteWK - Independant.
Actually, the federal government has no power to implement HMO reform, since it was never delegated that power. It is solely a state issue. Look it up in the Constitution, nothing about the power to legislate on HMOs. In fact pretty much everything(gun control, social security, medicare, education, etc) that the demo-socialists (any many republicans too) are for is the same:unconstitutional.
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

Forum Links
Forum Rules