Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much RAM for MacBook Pro

How much RAM for MacBook Pro
npeterh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 03:58 PM

Hi,

I am waiting for my 1.83 MacBook Pro from Amazon. I know that in order to run Rosetta efficiently I need more than the stock 512 Meg RAM but the question is what is optimum when it comes to speed and battery life?

Would 512 more for a total of 1 Gig be enough and give me longer battery life than gettin an extra 1 Gig stick for a total of 1.5 Gig?

Thanks

/Peter

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 04:02 PM

Less RAM will give you more battery life. However the decrease in battery life is generally small.
More RAM will let you do more. The additional productivity may outweight the shortened battery life.

I'd get 2GB.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2006, 04:36 PM

Rosetta is a memory hog. If you're running a lot of apps under Rosetta, the extra RAM will actually result in better battery life because the machine will not have to swap to disk nearly as often.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 05:40 PM

If you want the best performance, you should have matching sticks. A 1.5 GB configuration will not give you the benefits of the dual channel ram.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

npeterh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 07:49 PM

So how do I find out exactly what I have?
Then I order another 512 from the same vendor etc, right?

Thanks

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by npeterh
So how do I find out exactly what I have?
Then I order another 512 from the same vendor etc, right?

Thanks
I think you just have to have the same size and speed in each slot to get the full benefit.

Nyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 10:24 PM

what's the max RAM MBP can go ?

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nyl
2 GB for now, though there's speculation about support for single 2 GB sticks for a possible total of 4 GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nyl
4GB, but it requires 2GB SODIMMs which aren't available yet.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
4GB, but it requires 2GB SODIMMs which aren't available yet.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=287166
Check out this thread
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 08:34 AM

Get as much ram as you can afford.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 11:03 AM

this rosetta thing sucks. I run multilple music progs. and rosetta barely runs one of them.

oh well.

I dont want to pay for all my software all over again.

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2006, 10:51 PM

I would go for as much RAM as possible. Since the programs are getting bigger, and more complex, a $125 investment to max out your memory and speed is a good investment. You did spend over 2K for the computer, might was well make it the fastest it can be.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
If you didn't notice, I posted in the thread.
2GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs are not available yet.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 05:20 PM

If you didn't notice, I posted in the thread.
2GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs are not available yet.
http://www.clubmac.com/clubmac/shop/...ail,cwbfroogle
Isn't that compatible with the MBP? Even though it said it is made for the iMac G5
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 05:51 PM

Isn't that compatible with the MBP? Even though it said it is made for the iMac G5
In theory, yes. They both are supposed to take the same kind of chip. In practice, it's not been uncommon that Apple computers have been more finicky than others with respect to accepting certain chips. I'd certainly be interested if anyone wants to try it, though; the idea of having 4GB in a laptop is just plain tantalizing!!!
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 06:49 PM

It appears to be, but I have this little feeling that they mismarked PC2-4200/DDR2-533 (which is all the G5 iMac requires) as PC2-5300/DDR2-667 (which the Intel Macs require).

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 03:58 PM

I read this Macworld lab test which seems to suggest that you get diminishing returns on RAM upgrades beyond 512mb in OSX. Certainly I never noticed much of a difference between my 1ghz powerbook with 768mb RAM and my 1.42ghz Mini with 1gb RAM.

But as I'm a fairly heavy Photoshop user and do a lot of photo cataloguing (using iVMP2 which will not go universal for a while) I guess I will need plenty of memory to run these under Rosetta on my incoming MBP. Do people think it's worth an extra 200 Canadian to grab another 1gb stick?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 04:15 PM

Less RAM will give you more battery life..
How so? The saving in not energizing the memory is offset by the increase need to use virtual memory,i.e., disk usage.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
How so? The saving in not energizing the memory is offset by the increase need to use virtual memory,i.e., disk usage.
Look at the actual power consumption figures.
Maybe, if you're constantly swapping for the entire life of the battery, you might be able to come out a few minutes ahead by adding RAM (assuming the added 512MB completely eliminates the need to swap). In any other case (not constantly swapping, adding 1GB RAM, etc) you come out with better battery life on less RAM.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2006, 08:28 PM

I just upgraded to 2GB and am *SO* happy that I did. It makes such a difference....
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

WetcoastBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

I am about to purchase a MacBook pro 2.0 with One stick of 1 Gig memory. There is also an option of 2 sticks of 512 for $130 CDN less. Is there an performace degrade with the 2 512's?

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 12:02 AM

It appears to be, but I have this little feeling that they mismarked PC2-4200/DDR2-533 (which is all the G5 iMac requires) as PC2-5300/DDR2-667 (which the Intel Macs require).

Even if it is, it should work if not system limited, look at this:

Thats in my MBP, I had a stick from my old Gateway laptop, I'd rather have 2gigs at a little less speed, then 1 at a bit higher.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by WetcoastBob
I am about to purchase a MacBook pro 2.0 with One stick of 1 Gig memory. There is also an option of 2 sticks of 512 for $130 CDN less. Is there an performace degrade with the 2 512's?
No. In fact, it should go faster. (Of course, you lose the ability to expand your amount in the future, without ditching one of the modules.)
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

tklassnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 09:41 AM

aristotle says that matching sticks [dual channel ram] will give better performance... are you suggesting 2 x 512mb sticks [1gb] would provide more performance than a 512mb and 1gb stick. [1.5gb] Surely more ram would be faster?
Macbook Pro 1.83ghz, 1.5gb RAM
and old Tibook 550mhz, 256 mb RAM

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by tklassnik
aristotle says that matching sticks [dual channel ram] will give better performance... are you suggesting 2 x 512mb sticks [1gb] would provide more performance than a 512mb and 1gb stick. [1.5gb] Surely more ram would be faster?

Just concerning RAM speed, 2 x 512 MB sticks (dual channel) are faster than 1 x 512 and 1 x 1 GB sticks (non-dual channel). Overall system performance would be better with 1.5 GB in non dual channel mode.

tklassnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 12:46 PM

hmm. what do you mean overall system performance is better with 1.5gb...is that different to individual application performance? so 2 x 512 sticks are preferable for the mbp [and cheaper!] ?

I just added a 1gb to my 512 and its a great improvement anyway.
Macbook Pro 1.83ghz, 1.5gb RAM
and old Tibook 550mhz, 256 mb RAM

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tklassnik
hmm. what do you mean overall system performance is better with 1.5gb...is that different to individual application performance? so 2 x 512 sticks are preferable for the mbp [and cheaper!] ?

I just added a 1gb to my 512 and its a great improvement anyway.
He means that while there is an improvement in dual channel mode versus single channel mode (i.e., two 512MBs instead of a single 1GB), that improvement is way less important when compared to having to page to disk. With 512MB+1GB, you get a total of 1.5GB, and you're less likely to page to disk than if you only had 1GB total. The optimal RAM configuration is 2GB with matching 1GB DIMMs, but if you can't get that and are trying to decide between a pair of 512s or 512+1GB, you should invariably go with the latter, assuming you can afford it.

In my original post, all I was saying to the guy who was asking about 2 512s versus a single 1GB chip is that, if 1GB was the TOTAL amount of memory he wanted, he should do it in two chips rather than one.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 03:42 PM

Get 2GB of RAm. Nothing less. If you want to be cheep you can use slower RAM that's available at any PC store... 4200 200pins work fine.

However it's highly recommend to get 5300, 200pin which you won't find in any stores except for Fry's, or online... For $259 total at Fry's I got 2GB of Corsair 5300 200pin ram with a lifetime guarantee.

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 03:44 PM

If you don't want to spend that much money, always GO with the biggest size stick of RAM you can afford, not two smaller ones, because later when you upgrade your RAM you'll have to get rid of 2 (512mb) where as if you had 1 (1gb) you could just add another 1gb stick.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Get 2GB of RAm. Nothing less. If you want to be cheep you can use slower RAM that's available at any PC store... 4200 200pins work fine.

However it's highly recommend to get 5300, 200pin which you won't find in any stores except for Fry's, or online... For $259 total at Fry's I got 2GB of Corsair 5300 200pin ram with a lifetime guarantee.
I don't think this advice holds generically. 1.5GB is fine for most people.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
Even if it is, it should work if not system limited, look at this:

Thats in my MBP, I had a stick from my old Gateway laptop, I'd rather have 2gigs at a little less speed, then 1 at a bit higher.
The chipset in the MBP supports DDR2-400, -533, and -667.t

Originally Posted by bradoesch
Just concerning RAM speed, 2 x 512 MB sticks (dual channel) are faster than 1 x 512 and 1 x 1 GB sticks (non-dual channel). Overall system performance would be better with 1.5 GB in non dual channel mode.
The chipset in the MBP supports dual-channel asymmetric.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mintcake
I read this Macworld lab test which seems to suggest that you get diminishing returns on RAM upgrades beyond 512mb in OSX. Certainly I never noticed much of a difference between my 1ghz powerbook with 768mb RAM and my 1.42ghz Mini with 1gb RAM.

But as I'm a fairly heavy Photoshop user and do a lot of photo cataloguing (using iVMP2 which will not go universal for a while) I guess I will need plenty of memory to run these under Rosetta on my incoming MBP. Do people think it's worth an extra 200 Canadian to grab another 1gb stick?
I think diminishing returns on upgrading to one ghz is not a good way to view this article. The Photoshop gains were not as much, likely due to file size. The Firefox test was likely overly impressive, not sure I understand it. What matters is free ram and page outs. If you don't have much of the first, and lots of the seconds, you are running slower. How much slower, as the article said, depend on how much you are doing affects those numbers.

I've been running an original Aluminum 1.25 on the original 512 for over two years. After reading this article, I reviewed my page outs and free ram and bought a 1ghz stick, giving me 1.25ghz total. I'm not a power user (never used Photoshop), and this did not make this a new machine. But switching apps is noticeably faster making my non power use more satisfying. I'm happy with the cost benefit ratio in my case.

From continued monitoring of System Analyzer, it looks like my sweet spot would be right at 1ghz. Would have cost just about the same to upgrade to that level. And I'm very OK with the extra .25.

It was my present to myself to give this machine a bit more life. (I might go for one of the higher capacity Newer Tech batteries as well). I had decided not to upgrade to the MacBook Pro for a couple of years. But... I was in an Apple Store today and played with one. Subjectively many times faster than mine! Tempting, but not needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules