Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My G4 wont Read Panther or go in Safemode

My G4 wont Read Panther or go in Safemode
intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 06:34 PM

i was wondering what is the problem with my laptop. It's a Ibook G4 and it starts up fine and all but when it comes to going starting up with the panther disk or going in safemode. It loads to the grey screen where u see the apple and then it jus stops from there. You see a little glitch line going over the apple logo too. I'm not sure what this is but is there a code or command I can do or something to get it to work.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 07:49 PM

You could hold down command V (verbose mode) to see where the system is getting caught up.

You could also start up from the system CD and scan your disk for any damage.

If it still doesn't work after that, I would do an Archive and Install.

Good luck.
-- Jason

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2006, 12:28 AM

how do I do a "Archive and Installl"??

I went an held down command V and went in verbose mode... it then went to the Blk screen (it looks like a "dos" mode) an it did all this stuff an numbers and words an all that...and then it jus went to my login part where it yas Me and then the "guest" users. It didn't really do anything so ya. How do I start up from the system CD?? Because if your talking about putting in the panther disk and Holding C, that didn't work cuz it glitches at the grey screen where the Apple logo comes up

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 07:57 PM

If it made it to the login window, then where's the problem? If it's not starting up from the CD when you hold down C, then it may be that your Panther CD is damaged.
-- Jason

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2006, 06:26 PM

Noooo thats not it because I used it on the computer i'm using right now (My G3 ibook) . I'm jus trying to clean out my G4 to sell it because I have a G4 Titanium instead an dont need it really. It has 60Gb's on the one I'm tryin to clean out and only 33GB's left. I wanna clean it out all the way an get it fresh to sell you know. IT CANT BE THE DISK BECAUSE EVEN WHEN I HOLD DOWN SHIFT GO IN SAFEMODE, IT DOES THE SAME EXACT THING. My panther disk is brand new....so that isn't it. I'm jus puzzled an frustrated. I guess I'll have to jus sell it on 33Gb's an lower the price or something

Forum Links
Forum Rules