Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I delete mac OS 9 Classic??

How do I delete mac OS 9 Classic??
intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 10:31 PM

I have Panther (10.3.9) on my Ibook G4 and also I have OS 9.2 Classic on the same Ibook and I think the OS 9.2 is causing some problems with me doing a clean installation so my question is How do I get rid of OS 9 and ONLY have 10.3.9????

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 12:37 AM

Sounds like you want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall fresh?

Open the application Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive. Click on the erase tab and pick what you want to do.

Then reinstall OS X from your 10.3 disk, download and install all the updaters to get you to 10.3.9 and then reinstall your apps.

You could also just try to delete your OS 9 System Folder and your OS 9 apps first. Then you wouldn't have to go through all of the above.

Just drag them to the trash and then empty the trash.

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 08:01 AM

Can you explain what exactly is happening that is preventing you from doing a clean installation? By definition, a clean install will wipe you hard drive clean automatically before installing the OS, so you wouldn't need to get rid of OS 9 before hand.

If I were to guess, it sounds like you are trying to do the "upgrade" option, which won't work when the version of the OS you have on your iBook is higher than the version on your install disk.

p.s. this thread should be in the Mac OS X forum, by the way.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 12:44 PM

I would do this but ok....I go to disk utility...I highlight 55.9GB Toshiba Mk60~etc etc, then to the right it says "first aid" "erase" "partition" "restore" .... I go to erase and then below it says Mac os extended (journaled) name-untitled and below that it says options and then erase...BUT the thing is they're faded out so I cant even click on erase.

intervenetd2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by himself
Can you explain what exactly is happening that is preventing you from doing a clean installation? By definition, a clean install will wipe you hard drive clean automatically before installing the OS, so you wouldn't need to get rid of OS 9 before hand.

If I were to guess, it sounds like you are trying to do the "upgrade" option, which won't work when the version of the OS you have on your iBook is higher than the version on your install disk.

p.s. this thread should be in the Mac OS X forum, by the way.

IN RESPONSE TO EXACTLY WHATS HAPPENING....ok

1. I turn on the mac with the Panther disk already inside the IBOOK
2. I hold down C to have it boot off the disk
3. I hear the sound and then the grey screen comes up with the apple logo
4. The apple thing then sorta slightly moves inna glitch way and you see a glitch line to the left of it
5. IT FREEZES AND DOESN'T MOVE FROM THERE-then I have to do the power button restart

MY OTHER METHOD
1. I turn the IBOOK on (without the disk)
2. I loggin (yes I'm the admin)
3. I go th my desktop and then put my Panther disk in
4. It loads the disk and everything an I click on Install mac os X
5. It promps me to type my password so I type it in
6. It then restarts an you hear the sound and everything
7. It goes to the grey screen with the apple logo and does the same glitch
8. IT FREEZES AGAIN

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 08:00 PM

It could be any of a number of things, the most obvious of which may be:

a) a faulty install disk, or
b) faulty RAM (or possibly other faulty hardware)

Did you install any new RAM in your iBook? If so, try the install without that RAM.

You can also boot from the Hardware Test CD to check to see if your hardware is functioning properly.

If the hardware checks out, your Panther install disk may be faulty, which means you may have to get another install disk (in which case, it would be a good time to upgrade to Tiger).

Hope this helps.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules