Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buy a PSP (emulation) or DS Lite: Fight!!

Buy a PSP (emulation) or DS Lite: Fight!!
schamae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 11:59 PM

what are your thoughts? (yeah I know ill need a 2.0 or lower psp)

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2006, 03:06 AM

i'd get the DS lite to me the PSP seems over priced and crappy (and i'm a sony fanboi)

plus with the DS you can remote access your mac and control it with some fancy program.

its probably harder to load ROM's on than just dropping them on a memory stick though

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 03:10 AM

DS. I think just about any PSP you try to buy will have updated firmware that you can't downgrade. So you really won't be able to play any homebrew, unless there's some new hack or something.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E
...plus with the DS you can remote access your mac and control it with some fancy program.
What is this? Never heard of anything to connect a Mac and DS.

Oh and get a DS Lite.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2006, 09:58 AM

I just can't stand the poor video quality of the DS (and DS Lite), the PSP just destroys it in that dept.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I just can't stand the poor video quality of the DS (and DS Lite), the PSP just destroys it in that dept.
I can't stand the lack of fun games for the PSP, the DS (and DS Lite) just destroys it in that dept.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:10 AM

This little thing might help you make a decision too...
Media Dock for the DS

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
This little thing might help you make a decision too...
Media Dock for the DS

mmm just what I need for my Atari 2600.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82
I can't stand the lack of fun games for the PSP, the DS (and DS Lite) just destroys it in that dept.
Why what is there on the DS to compare with Grand Theft Auto, Wipeout, Mercury, FIFA etc

Lots of games but mostly bad graphics, stroking puppies and jumping on mushrooms.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:24 AM

I love my DS. The PSP is cool, but I'm not interested in many of it's games. They seem like shrunken down console games, where the DS games are created with handhelds in mind and translate into a better portable experience.

I also cannot stand the horrible load times on the PSP.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:27 AM

You just gotta love Nintendo haters. Especially ones that can't tell the difference between a 2600 and a DS.

Go with the DS Lite.

sabrejim
Jun 7, 2006, 10:32 AM

I still have a vintage launch PSP. Never had the firmware update. Only played 2 games on it, twisted metal and lumines. Who wants to buy?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by zro
You just gotta love Nintendo haters. Especially ones that can't tell the difference between a 2600 and a DS.

Go with the DS Lite.
I'm not a Nintendo hater, and I plan on buying a Wii, I simply can't stand the graphics on the DS. After playing a PSP for a year (we own 3), the DS looks like crap.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by zro

Go with the DS Lite.

I plan to buy a Wii if the games really will be as fun as they do. The DS is just a piece fo **** though no matter what anyone says. It's just ****.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 10:56 AM

Got my DS Lite today .... never played or owned any portable gaming cosole before this.

So far i love it....i got Mario Kart DS. The Wi-Fi setup was a piece of cake. It came with a demo of Brain Training, and it blew me away..... there was a sequence of questions where you have to answer by actually saying the answer and 9/10 times it understood what i said....without training. Another sequence had me inputing the results to some math problems by actually writing the results on the touch screen..... it understood what i wrote every time....once again, no training.

There's a few games i'd like to get on this thing as well..... the brain training games, Metroid Prime, Super mario, Zelda: Phantom hourglass, etc..... and seeing as how Nintendo has announced some cool plans for DS-Wii-WiFi interaction....im happy with my purchase.

I paid AUD$188 for thr DS Lite..... the PSP runs for $399..... better graphics(of course)..... fewer games, less diverce selection, and no online support(yet)....when compared to the DS.

Also the DS has some 100 games in developent (or coming out)..... Nintendo announced this number at E3.

So yeah.... that extra AUD$200 can go towards 3-4 more games.....that i'll be able to play online.

On the graphics issue....while playing Mario Kart, i haven actually "noticed" sub-par graphics..... it looks fine to me....colors are vivid and the screen is bright. While playing the brain training game.... i didnt even care about the visuals...... technologically, i was just astounded by the voice and hand writing recognition..... and it was just simple wholesome fun....which felt odly rewarding . (to be honest, i didnt think i'd like the bain game.... but was pleasantly surprised when i tried it out)

Cheers

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2006, 11:03 AM

Don't ever put it next to a PSP and compare graphics, you'll never be happy with it again.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:03 AM

The PSP does have online support.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Don't ever put it next to a PSP and compare graphics, you'll never be happy with it again.
I have played wipout or something on the PSP..... graphics looks ok.... gameplay was dated.....load times were way too long. but yeah the graphics looked good. ive seen better graphics in Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks movies though... if graphics were all i was after i wouldnt settle for the PSP, id just rent out Incredibles or Finding Nemo on DVD.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:24 AM

The thing about the graphics is this, I have an Xbox 360 to play cool racers and shooters with amazing visuals. When I'm in bed at night, or on a road trip, or pooping, or whatever, I want to have a nice 15 minute experience and the DS delivers that in spades. I understand that graphics are important, but they aren't everything. I love the library of games on the DS, and honestly, there isn't a single game on the PSP that I am dying to play. Not one.

It does come down to personal taste, I know, but for me, I do not see a compelling reason to get a PSP. I've wanted to buy one for a while, but have a hard time justifying it's purchase.

Lack of games I'm interested in, battery life and long load times are the main reasons I'm not interested. Pus the higher price tag.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
The PSP does have online support.
Oh ok. my bad. i didnt know there was a free online service offered for PSP games. nevermind that then

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 11:32 AM

I haven't turned my PSP on in months.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
Lack of games I'm interested in, battery life and long load times are the main reasons I'm not interested. Pus the higher price tag.
Thats what i noticed today while i was out... i looked at the selection of PSP games....couldnt find one i was remotely interested in. then i looked at the DSLite's lineup, and i couldnt decide which games i wanted more. And that price tag played an important role as well. i dont game in the 'portable' arena...so id be playing the GBM/NDSL/PSP indoors most of the time. So whats the point for someone like me paying double for a PSP when i can get the real deal with my GCN hooked upto my TV anyway ? the DS brings a nice variety to the table, which at the end ofthe day justified the purchase.

it's got something new and different worth experiencing for AUD$200 imo. If all ur into is great graphics for gaming, just get urself an XB360, there's nothing that can top that right now, and it costs just a fraction more than the PSP.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 7, 2006 at 11:53 AM. )

sabrejim
Jun 7, 2006, 11:46 AM

My DS has brought me amazing amounts of enjoyment. And to think it was an impulse buy on launch day. "Oh I'm up early might be fun to go wait in line"

PSP I had decided not to get and then I saw Walmart had them ion launch day and picked it up The emulator possibilities are good though i guess.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 7, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Got my DS Lite today .... never played or owned any portable gaming cosole before this.

So far i love it....i got Mario Kart DS.
Are you really a human or a bot that posts on various forums?

You have been debating this PSP vs DS subject for over one year on this board and you finally got a DS today just coincidentally when someone wants an opinion on what to buy.

And it took you until today to find out the PSP has online play? I mean, really it took you one year and countless pages of debate to finally find that out or are you trying to be conniving?

So you finally got your DS today after one and a half years of debate. And you now say you never had a portable gaming console before, so why the **** were you pissing on everyone for so many months?

You are either a sad troll liar or an bot making thoughtless fabricated posts.

BTW, you bought Mario Kart? Congratu ****ing lations Welcome to 2006. The whole world is playing GTA.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 7, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
The whole world is playing GTA.
Oh, really?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 01:03 PM

You have been debating this PSP vs DS subject for over one year on this board and you finally got a DS today just coincidentally when someone wants an opinion on what to buy.

And it took you until today to find out the PSP has online play? I mean, really it took you one year and countless pages of debate to finally find that out or are you trying to be conniving?

So you finally got your DS today after one and a half years of debate. And you now say you never had a portable gaming console before, so why the **** were you pissing on everyone for so many months?

BTW, you bought Mario Kart? Congratu ****ing lations Welcome to 2006. The whole world is playing GTA.
What the f*ck is wrong with you? Why do you have to crap on every single thread, nay, every single post in every single thread that has anything nice to say about anything Nintendo-related? Seriously, that seems to be all you do.

FYI the whole world already played GTA. Maybe we'd like something new on our handhelds, not the same rehashed games already available for PS2, XBox, PC, etc.

[Note: I don't own any of the current handhelds or consoles, so don't accuse me of being anyone's fanboy.]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 01:08 PM

Yeah, GTA is played out. If you've gone on one insane civilian and cop killing spree, you've gone on them all.

It's cool that it's popular and all, but I was bored with the series a long time ago. All they are doing now is refining the same formula.

I'd also like to say that I'm also pretty burned out on Mario Kart as well. I played through Mario Kart Ds and it's a quality title, but it's really just more of the same. I got bored of it pretty quickly.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
Maybe we'd like something new on our handhelds, not the same rehashed games already available for PS2, XBox, PC, etc.
Like Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Ridge Racer?

If you seriously want any good, new games, you have to buy them in Japan. A good bit of the DS stuff in America has been done before in some shape or form, and only had touch support added in a nifty way for the DS. I haven't paid any attention to the platform in months as a result (are there actually good games in the US now?? If so, I'll turn off my PSP for a bit). Over half the games I have for DS I bought last time I was over on that side of the Pacific.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 02:52 PM

I've owned BOTH.

PSP
Pros - Great graphics, media capabilities
Cons - Horrendous load times, uninspired games, not enough games, too delicate, pricey

DS Lite
Pros - Tons of innovative and fun games, cheaper (console and games), sturdier, bright future
Cons - Graphics aren't PSP quality (is this really that big of a deal?)

I love Mario Kart DS, Metroid Hunters, Castevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Tetris DS, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Tony Hawks' American Sk8land, and Meteos. I'm dying to get my DS Lite in on Sunday (sold the original DS a month ago) so I can try out New Super Mario Bros. and Brain Age.

I sold my PSP because I had 4 games which I NEVER played. I did put a little time into MBL '06, being a huge baseball fan, but the load times killed me. I just couldn't bring myself to pick these games up after I'd bought them and played a bit. The media capabilities are kind of a moot point for anyone with an iPod with video. It's future isn't bright (unless you adore Tekken with every fiber of your being), and I will never pick one up again.

3 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes, and 20 seconds until DS Lite

[EDIT] Forgot to mention DS Lite's backwards compatibility.

And if you use emulation software, you're breaking the law (stating the obvious).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear
Like Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Ridge Racer?
While obviously a lot of Nintendo's stuff is rehashes, we're talking about the DS vs. the PSP here. Most things I've seen for the DS are at least somewhat interesting and original, what with the touch screen / dual screens / built-in wireless etc.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
While obviously a lot of Nintendo's stuff is rehashes, we're talking about the DS vs. the PSP here. Most things I've seen for the DS are at least somewhat interesting and original, what with the touch screen / dual screens / built-in wireless etc.
A lot of stuff I've seen in America so far, though with a few good exceptions, isn't too impressive. Japan's DS market is so much more impressive. As far as America goes, I'm indifferent between the PSP and DS.

A new game doesn't necessarily need to be the best thing since sliced bread, as long as it's fun. People hype up innovation to be larger than it really is. Sure, it's a good thing (we don't want Mario 354679834576 now do we? ) but I think it occasionally gets overblown.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 09:12 PM

I loved my DS. Sadly, someone stole it. Actually, that just means I'll have to buy a DS Lite (something I wanted to do anyway). I'm really just pissed my Animal Crossing town is gone now.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:19 PM

I wasnt aware that ownership was a necessary qualification to offer an opinion. For example...do you own a Yugo ?

So im not pissing on everyone.... just on the PSP. And seeing as how so many peopl here have confessed (after owning it) that theyre trying to flog it for a DS, i think i was spot on on my review of the two and you wernt.

The DS rules.

PS>>speaking of "rehashes"....Mario kart DS is the first mario kart ive played and owned.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 7, 2006 at 09:57 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I loved my DS. Sadly, someone stole it. Actually, that just means I'll have to buy a DS Lite (something I wanted to do anyway). I'm really just pissed my Animal Crossing town is gone now.
You sneaky bastard .... you just left it on a park bench and when u came back it was gone. What people will do for a DS Lite

Hal06
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 03:45 AM

lot of cr*p
First you steal some another guy's cool Star Wars nick style…then you steal his not cool attitude towards certain posters. You bad.

Whatever Nintendo guys do they must do twice as well as SONY & XBOX fanboys to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult.

This is all what is fun about my PSP…

And no, don't ask me how to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.5, I am not telling since I guess you Nintendo haters are smart enough to do it. If you aren't it, get a DS and Brain Age, it does wonders.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 8, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Inside Man
If you aren't it, get a DS and Brain Age, it does wonders.
Does it emulate PSP?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 04:12 AM

Does it emulate PSP?
Sorry it can't raise it's own price tag.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 06:01 AM

DS is sooo nice. It took me forever but I was able to get one. Nothing like playing mario kart with your buddies halfway around the world.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 8, 2006, 06:34 AM

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the GPX32 for handheld emulation goodness.
http://www.gp2x.com/

I had a PSP that I bought on launch date and it got as much play as my old Game Gear gets nowadays. I had about 10 games and couldn't stand to play any of them and never used any of the media features. I sold the whole kit and kaboodle for a pretty big loss a few months ago - evidently the used PSP market is horribly saturated. As a side note, I collect video games and systems and I don't even want the thing for sentimental reasons - just was so dissapointed with it, I never wanted to see it again. Ever.

The thing also seriously screwed with my hands - much pain and discomfort after 10 minutes. I couldn't even play Wipeout because I found it impossible to control with the joystick and use the left shoulder button at the same time.

I don't "love" my DS but it's gotten much more use than my PSP ever did.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 07:10 AM

I dont usually do this, but i couldnt resist. i went out and baught the new Super Mario Brothers game. usually a game lasts me 6 months...i got MKDS yesterday and love it.....there goes my sleep for tonight.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 08:44 AM

I have both a DS and a PSP. They're like night and day. The DS is great, but I bought very little for it, compared to my PSP which I have tons of games for.

My biggest gripe with Nintendo is that they can't break out of this 320x240 screen (or whatever pathetic resolution it is). Make the screen 1" wider and bump up the res to 640x480 and you've got yourself a killer system.

Mario Cart DS with the Dpad < Ridge Racer with an analog stick
Lumines kicks ass
Untold Legends, despite its long load times, is a great RPG.
Namco classics is excellent on the PSP. I tried that on the DS (GBA version). So damn small.
Mercury is a hoot. I love games like that.
Not to mention all the MP3s, movies, and pics I keep on my 1G stick.
I have about 10 more PSP games.

On the DS side, I'm a big Animal Crossing fan, but I was upset with how they dumbed it down for the DS version. Boo, Nintendo.
My kids played Nintendogs for about a week, and then got bored.
Oddly enough, they still play Warioware.
I picked up Space Invaders for the DS. Not bad.
Tetris DS is fun.
Super Mario 64 on the DS sucks monkey nuts. You don't have that slick analog control, even with the stylus.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 09:03 AM

I have to say Mario64 just seems a bit "dirty" in that they just ported the whole N64 game over. if there's a poster game for the NDS/NDSL it has to be the New Super mario Brothers imo. Beleive it or not i havent played mario64 ever... i might when it's released on the virtual console.

Apparently Iwata announced that VC games will cost between USD$$4-$10

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 09:16 AM

I thought they were going to be free.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 09:50 AM

rumors apparently. but not too bad imo....a bit too high, but knowing Nintendo, demand is going to be quite high once it goes online.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Inside Man
And no, don't ask me how to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.5, I am not telling since I guess you Nintendo haters are smart enough to do it. If you aren't it, get a DS and Brain Age, it does wonders.
Wow, you're l33t!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=48

It's funny that we spend most of our PSP game playing time with Nintendo software, no? I went through Chrono Trigger and A Link to the Past on my PSP. I don't have a DS yet, but I'm digging the Lite; we'll see. Browsing the web with a touch screen is much better than the <down><down><down><down> cellphone-browser of the PSP.

As for UMD games, I had Lumines and got bored with it after a few days. Wipeout is great, though. My memory sticks have mostly media on them (Robot Chicken right now) and SNES/Genesis games.

schamae  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 01:20 PM

ok, well, I just picked up a lite, so no more decision

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 03:58 AM

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/games/g...es_touchscreen

Some interesting developments between DS and Wii connectivity....its shaping up to be pretty cool.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 04:26 AM

Wait the DS can browse the web!? Seriously? Hmmm... sounds like fun. I might get one just so I can lay in bed and browse the web without having to use my PowerBook for it... or for in dorm... hmmmmmmm

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ink
It's funny that we spend most of our PSP game playing time with Nintendo software, no? I went through Chrono Trigger and A Link to the Past on my PSP.
Now see, that's the first thing that makes me think a PSP would be cool to own. How much battery life do you get playing off Memory Sticks?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Now see, that's the first thing that makes me think a PSP would be cool to own. How much battery life do you get playing off Memory Sticks?
Get a version 1.5 unit if you want to do that. Version 2.0 and later have... issues, and the latest system software (2.7) can't do any homebrew at all. Gotta love Sony; sucking the life out of their products for no reason whatsoever. I swear that the company should split into two; a kick-ass hardware company, and a "media conglomerate" that won't be able to push their s*!+ off on the hardware engineers (see Blu-Ray with the PS3).

Playing games off the memory stick is great; since the disc isn't spinning, it lasts a good 3-4 hours on a charge. You can also control the backlight level and the speed of the processor (225 to 333Mhz) to conserve power, or emulate better. You can also transfer save files to/from your desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules