Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7.1 Screwed Up My Videos & Movies!

iTunes 7.1 Screwed Up My Videos & Movies!
FallN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 04:02 AM

Like most of you, I updated iTunes & Quicktime to the latest version (7.1) just two days ago. All seemed well until I tried to play my iTunes TV Shows and Movies. Videos that had worked perfectly before the upgrade are now almost like slideshows: choppy, skipping frames, sometimes stalling completely.

I have done absolutely NOTHING to my system or the iTunes videos/movies EXCEPT update iTunes/Quicktime through the Mac's System Update utility so I KNOW it's the update that screwed my Mac!

I tried uninstalling both iTunes and Quciktime, restarting then installing an older version of iTunes from my OS X DVD but when I went to open my iTunes library I get an error message stating that it can't open it because my library was made with "a newer version of iTunes". Grrr! WTF?

I'm so pissed right now. I literally sunk a LOT of money into PAID iTunes Videos & Movies which are now basically unwatchable with this version of iTunes/Quicktime on my Mac.

Does anyone have the last version of iTunes & Quicktime BEFORE the most recent update? Is there any way to get my iTunes videos & movies to play correctly like they used to before the update? Help??

bernt
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 08:31 AM

Have you tried any kind of troubleshooting? Removing prefs, rebuilding library, new user etc? What happens if you play the media in QT player?
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

FallN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 08:49 PM

Yes, I've tried tinkering with preferrences. I have no idea how to rebuild the library and would actually like to rebuild it for an older version of iTunes that I know was working fine. Does anyone know how?

Lastly, if I have QT play the video/movie I end up with the same choppy, slideshow-like results. Apple did something to this new update that threw things out of wack for me.

bernt
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 04:42 AM

Here's a link to rebuilding the library: How to recreate your iTunes Library. But because you have the same problem playing with QT player, I would say rebuilding the iTunes library is just a waste of time.

I would recommend to create a new user to verify if there is any of you user-specific files that screw things up. If still not working you could check out the QT plugins in /Library/Quicktime. Might be an incompatibility issue there. Furthermore, and archive and install could be considered.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Forum Links
Forum Rules