Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes gives "unknown error (2001)" upon Store request

iTunes gives "unknown error (2001)" upon Store request
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 11:01 AM

Wife's new (April 2009) MacBook. OS 10.5.8 iTunes 9.02 (also happened with 8.x, I believe). Safari 4.0.3

Googling and forum search show mostly problems with *iPhones*. And problems back in 2007.

Clicking on *buy* gives awesomely UNhelpful error message:
"We could not complete your iTunes Store request.
An unknown erro occurred (2001).
There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

Well, we've tried on/off a few days. Problem never changes. Apple support forums (Apple - Support - Discussions - Cannot Restore Unknown error 2001 ...) call it a "Restore" problem... and are completely unhelpful. They suggested "be sure using latest software." So I upgraded to 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.3 (which iTunes 9.02 insisted on). No change

In desperation I tried the ancient remedy: trash preferences. No change. Of course there have been several restarts following the above upgrades.

Has no one else experienced this? Anyone got a hint/strategy?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

ChiFaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2009, 06:10 PM

I am having the exact same problem! Did you ever resolve your issue? If so, how? If not ... can anyone shed light on this "We could not complete your itunes store request. an unknown error occurred (2001)" error message?

I'm using a MacBook operating Mac OS X 10.5.8 (purchased March 2009) and this is my first iTunes transaction.

chimichanga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2009, 02:24 PM

I was getting the same message trying to download apps to my refurbished itouch. my problem was that i had never signed into itunes and agreed to the user agreement. i opened itunes, clicked on itunes store, over on the right clicked sign in, agreed to the terms of service or whatever, was pretty much forced to enter my credit card info (even though I wasn't purchasing anything), clicked done, and was them able to download apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules