Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need Opinion: Creating Mac/Win Shared Drive

Need Opinion: Creating Mac/Win Shared Drive
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 07:47 PM

Mac Pro 1,1 Quad 2.66 (2006)
My current setup doesn't allow me to easily share files between Mac/Bootcamp. I'm sick of the 'copy to USB drive and reboot' process. I create motion graphics (Mac) and 3D renderings (Win), so I'm dealing with huge libraries of 3D objects, footage and materials that I'd like to be able to browse in Mac or Win.

1. FAT32?
I ran MacDrive in the past and had some issues--I'm OK with the 4GB file limit. I like how I can easily clone the drive with Winclone. I'm concerned that it may strip metadata from the files, but I haven't been able to figure out which information would be lost...

2. My current drive situation would require that I move my MacHD from a SATA drive to a partition of an IDE drive (with Windows sharing that drive). Theoretically, the speed shouldn't be an issue. Anybody have real-world experience? The drive is located in the 2nd DVD bay. It's my understanding that I may see a slowdown when I'm using the SuperDrive along with the IDE drive.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 08:04 PM

In my opinion, this is all no longer an issue.

OS X can use MacFuse and NTFS-3G to write to NTFS (Windows), Windows now has a HFS+ driver that comes with Snow Leopard.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 08:15 PM

Ok, so format the shared drive as NTFS and install MacFuse/NTFS-3g on my OS X boot drive?

Found this:
10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes - Mac OS X Hints

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 08:22 PM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2010, 08:23 PM

You don't need Xcode, you don't need to do any work in the terminal, just download the most up to date packages for use on Snow Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules