Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wifi help needed

wifi help needed
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2011, 03:44 PM

I'm using 2 channels of wifi for remote control.
WiRanger USB radios on channel 1 for USB MIDI devices.
Linksys WRT54G router on channel 11 for iPad running Apple remote desktop (iTeleport).
The system is mobile so locations can be anywhere. There's never time for setup and troubleshooting.

The WiRanger is a champ. A pair of 9dBi antenna cured the ocasional lag I would get in difficult locations. The iPad has a very weak receiver so it's been a problem sometimes (I need an iPad Pro!). I currently have a pair of 9dBi antenna on the 54G and the tx gain at 95 and this has helped in many situations. I asked Icron what they used in their WiRanger and they only will say "thanks for purchasing it". I'm looking at trying an antenna amplifier next along with seperating and elvating the antenna. I'm interested in opinions on the different choices. Prices for amplifiers (for between the router and antenna) go: $20, $80, $300, $$$$. I basically want to be able to do wifi battle in challenging areas. Just to be clear, the system works pretty flawlessly a lot of the time. Just not all the time.

Also this 2 channel business...
I do need to run 2 systems (USB & wifi).Is that the way to do it? Are there options for combining into one antenna system?

Thanks for any advice

Forum Links
Forum Rules