Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Nokia copies Samsung, MS approach with Apple attack ad

Nokia copies Samsung, MS approach with Apple attack ad
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 6, 2013, 06:53 AM

Nokia has copied the Samsung and Microsoft's attack ad approach towards the success of Apple and its iPhone. In this instance, Nokia parodies the style and language of Apple's recent iPhone "Photos Every Day" ad that highlighted the popularity of the iPhone camera and ending with the statement, "every day, more photos are taken with the iPhone than any other camera." Nokia counters this in its latest Lumia ad claiming, "every day, better photos are taken on Nokia Lumias than any other mobile."

Although Nokia has recently revealed the 41-megapixel Lumia 1020, the current Nokia ad promotes the aluminum-clad Lumia 925 and uses alleged side-by-side shots using the 925's 8.7-megapixel camera that utilizes a six-element Carl Zeiss lens and comparing them with iPhone 5 photos, which are taken with its 8-megapixel camera and six-element lens. Naturally, the Nokia photos look more much more impressive, particularly the shots purportedly taken with each device's flash on and in low-light shots. Nokia adds that its focus is on quality, rather than quantity, playing on Apple's claim to having "more" photos taken with its iPhones. Also absent, is any reference to the fact that Nokia's devices run Windows Phone 8 -- Nokia not only fails to mention the OS, it does not even show any screenshots that resemble the Windows Phone UI or its built-in camera app.

Apple, in contrast, has continued with the latest in its series of ads focusing on the popularity of certain iPhone features, this time its FaceTime app. Again, there is no reference to its competitors, with the ad focusing solely on everyday people using the iPhone to connect and share experiences. Apple's approach is to highlight the positive, feel good aspects of the iPhone ownership experience and concludes with the statement, "more people connect face-to-face on the iPhone than on any other phone." In the last quarter alone, Apple sold 31 million iPhones, which compares with the 27 million Lumia phones that Nokia has sold in total, since the line debuted 18 months ago. [via 9to5 Mac]

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 6, 2013 at 08:11 AM. )

Stuke
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2013, 07:46 AM

I'd fight for my last breath, too.
--
Stuke

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 6, 2013, 08:01 AM

It sucks to be 2nd.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2013, 08:58 AM

Grasping at straws losers.

mgpalma
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2013, 09:23 AM

Because Microsofts attack adds worked out so well for them...while negative ads seem to be (sadly) effective in political elections, they do NOT do well in the consumer arena. Oh well, it's their money...
-
Michael

davidlfoster
Aug 6, 2013, 09:44 AM

The iPhone is a common comparator for a good reason - it is top dog. These ads only affirm that distinction.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2013, 10:50 AM

iPhone photo looks crap because HDR is turn off. Nokia probably have it on by default. HDR takes few more seconds to calculate.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2013, 01:58 PM

Comparison ads do not work. It's well known, and has been well-know since since I took a few classes in marketing way back in my college days (late 80s/early 90s). They NEVER work and often backfire as they actually give advertising space to your competitors. No company should use them, not Samsung, not Nokia, not Apple, not GM, not Ford not.... You get the picture.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2013, 02:30 AM

The camera in the Lumia looks to be a better camera than the iPhone 5 (ignoring the fact that the iPhone 5S, just around the corner, will also sport a better camera). I certainly put a lot of stock in Carl Zeiss lenses.

What the ad doesn't tell me is whether the Lumia is better at the iPhone at *anything* else. I didn't buy the iPhone because it had a camera in it, I bought it for OS X and apps and general elegant usefulness. THAT'S the part nobody else has quite gotten up to speed on yet ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules