Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple posts interview with Christy Turlington Burns post-marathon

Apple posts interview with Christy Turlington Burns post-marathon
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 28, 2015, 03:17 PM

Following a post on Monday by Apple CEO Tim Cook showing model, activist, and Apple Watch spokesperson Christy Turlington Burns running in the London Marathon -- training for which she has been blogging about on Apple's site, tying in her use the Apple Watch -- the company has released a video and audio podcast of Burns being interviewed by Apple Fitness and Health Director Jay Blahnik at the London Regent Street Apple Store. It also published her final blog entry for the series on Tuesday.

Burns was able to beat her personal record for the race, coming in at three hours, 46 minutes, 45 seconds -- a score that qualifies her for the Boston Marathon by over nine minutes, and topping per previous record by 17 minutes. In the interview, conducted just before the marathon, Burns talked in equal measure about her charity, Every Mother Counts, and the publicity the race, the training, and the blog on Apple.com has given it -- as well as how using a fitness tracker for the first time, in the form of the Apple Watch, has helped focus her training by being able to monitor the performance and reward progress.

Burns had been writing a blog for Apple about the experience of preparing for the notoriously difficult London Marathon, beginning with a visit to Africa to run a marathon there, the first stage in her training for the London run. The blog followed Burns through home life and training in the US and UK, and the various ways she used the Apple Watch beyond simply keeping track of workouts. Burns, who's family also received Watch units, gave real-world examples of everyday activities enhanced by the Apple Watch, including keeping track of appointments, communicating with family, and even paying for groceries.

Apple has now published the last installment in Burns' blog, complete with a film of her competing in the marathon and the journey that led up to it. In the video, Burns says that every mile she runs is for Every Mother Counts, which works to ensure safe pregnancies for mothers around the globe.

It's about that time...Wish me luck and some speed #everymileeverymother @everymomcounts sub 4hrs #applewatch

A photo posted by Christy Turlington Burns (@cturlington) on

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 28, 2015 at 04:07 PM. )

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2015, 04:52 PM

Worst Apple marketing attempt ever. Majorly awkward on the stage as well...

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Apr 28, 2015, 07:16 PM

Sorry, not sold. Without GPS, I'm sticking with my Garmin.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2015, 08:49 PM

TheGreatButcher: the Apple Watch doesn't have built-in GPS, but it does utilize the iPhone's built-in GPS, which amounts to the same thing. Although we haven't run them, some pictures of Turlington Burns on her practice runs show her with the usual armband iPhone mounts (or keeping it in the "fanny" packs) you often see on runners when one needs more precise data than the general distance info the Watch can collect by itself.

I'm in no way suggesting that the Garmin might not be a better choice for you, but I'd hate for you to make (or not make) a buying decision based on misinformation.

The bottom line here is this: Burns was able to beat her own previous record by 17 minutes, and the main difference between her previous marathon and this one was utilizing the Apple Watch. If it can help her do something like that in eight weeks, it seems to me that most runners would also find it beneficial.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules