Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 6.0...DON'T DO IT

Netscape 6.0...DON'T DO IT
johns764
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2000, 01:46 PM

It didn't import (pull in correctly) addressbook, bookmarks (completely). tried to email 5x and it always crashed. no helper applications. Don't jump on this one till about version 6.5!!! Stick with Explorer, netscape 4.76, iCab!!!!
David C. Johnson, Purchasing Agent
University of Minnesota Pharmacology
6-120 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Tel # 612-625-2465 or 612-625-9997
Fax # 612-624-0660 or 612-625-8408

http://www.pharmacology.med.umn.edu/
__________________________________________________ ________________________|
"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Macs work better than PCs...
But you'd be a fool not to follow their lead".

"Life is better where there's Macs"!

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2000, 01:49 PM

I speek for web developers world wide. Please DON'T stick with browsers such as iCab and Netscape 4.x. We are sick of developing for those browsers and they are not up to date.

I've been wanted to make pages with inline frames for years now.
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

mk
Nov 14, 2000, 01:59 PM

Too much eye candy, too little substance. User interface (whatever that is) doesn't interfaced very well. It's back to 4.7 while I evaluate IE again.

vit137
Nov 14, 2000, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by AAPl Shareholder:
I speek for web developers world wide. Please DON'T stick with browsers such as iCab and Netscape 4.x. We are sick of developing for those browsers and they are not up to date.
I agree with you 1/2 of the way, developing for old browsers is a step in the wrong direction. However, iCab isn't old. It's seen much more development than Netscrape ever will. iCab supports features that are only found in ONE other place: the wc3's html specs. The other browser makers are, as they have since the beginning, creating their own specs based on god knows what and avoiding the standard. Developing for them is a sellout.

Instead, develop for the specs, then patch it up to work in browsers that don't support the specs.

David Lewis
Nov 14, 2000, 04:13 PM

I couldn't get Netscape 6 to work *at all*, after installation, booting the software resulted in showing it's splash-screen for about 3 seconds, followed by replacement with a flat grey rectangle... no menus, and I had to Cmd-Shift-Escape to quit the program...

Back to the drawing-board guy! <sigh...>

are Icab, Mozilla, or Opera now "ready for prime time"?
I don't like using Microsloth software on my Mac...

scamidge
Nov 14, 2000, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by johns764:
It didn't import (pull in correctly) addressbook, bookmarks (completely). tried to email 5x and it always crashed. no helper applications. Don't jump on this one till about version 6.5!!! Stick with Explorer, netscape 4.76, iCab!!!!
Cannot save to text. Bad move. Rules out this build for me.

krezreb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2000, 04:37 PM

I cannot wait until I get Mac OSX running on my mac, because then I will be able to tell dumbass apps like Netscape 6 to lay the hell off of my OS. Those people at Netscape Inc are smoking CRACK!!!! they call THIS a product??? It's a piece of SH1T , my dog can do better than Netscape 6 every time I take her for a walk

[This message has been edited by krezreb (edited 11-14-2000).]

drsoos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2000, 04:39 PM

Well my first impression is that its not IE and thats about it. Things seem to be buggy at first but after a few restarts its seems to be fine. Its a bit too ugly for me. IE will be my browser of choice

amar
Nov 14, 2000, 08:30 PM

netscape 6 looks really cool , and it works really well . Up the memory a little bit if you got it and up the memory cache also . Anyone who says Netscape 6 is ugly must be retarded or they are one of those Democrats living in Flordia who can't even figure out a voting ballet .

amar
Nov 14, 2000, 08:32 PM

netscape 6 looks really cool , and it works really well . Up the memory a little bit if you got it and up the memory cache also . Anyone who says Netscape 6 is ugly must be retarded or they are one of those Democrats living in Flordia who can't even figure out a voting ballet .

stetsows
Nov 14, 2000, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by amar:
Just like the a guy who double posts...eh. I'm not a huge fan of NS 6. The appearance at least can be switched to classic, but there is loss of all kinds of tool bar options. I like the customization we find in IE 5. Nor is the side bar as slick as the one found in IE, its, obtrusive and ugly. Also this app is a memory hog, it likes to take up about 30 Megs of memory with VM on (I have only installed the browser, no mail and news, no IM, just browser). Finally simple things that should work, don't like the about:netscape command, it doesn't work on my machine. This app is very rough and not worthy of being called a final version, they should have called it PR4.

------------------
Knowledge is Liberty
Knowledge is Liberty

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2000, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by amar:
what are you talking about? a ballet is a type of dance. it's b-a-l-l-o-t, for pete's sake!

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 11-14-2000).]

GayGuy
Nov 14, 2000, 09:25 PM

I quote:
"I speek for web developers world wide. Please DON'T stick with browsers such as iCab and Netscape 4.x. We are sick of developing for those browsers and they are not up to date."

You speak for yourself.
If you're sick of developing for those browsers, perhaps you should find something else to do with your time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules