Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrading Darwin

Upgrading Darwin
bleen
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 02:05 PM

Apple Released Darwin 1.3.1. today. I was wondering if anyone upgraded to this version of Darwin with MacOS X Installed. Is this possible? Do you just run the installer?

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 02:20 PM

I would think not. I would guess that the other layers need to be updated in at least some cases.

Of course, it also depends alot on how different the release is.

Eugene
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 02:55 PM

I believe the version of Darwin in Mac OS X is 1.3.1, though I might be wrong. It's at least 1.3. You could try swapping the kernel...just make sure you back up the original and have a way to boot from a CD if something doesn't work right.

The best way to get the most updated kernels is via the CVS repository though...

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 03:03 PM

I know that OS X 10.0 has Darwin 1.3.0. I'm too new to UNIX to do this kind of "Test" That's why I was asking if anyone's done it, is it a success? How to do it? is it just using the installer?

Adam1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 07:06 PM

I would reccomend against installing this unless you really know what you're doing. Most Mac OS X users won't notice any difference at all. The x.x.1 updates are typically reserved for hard-core UNIX geeks, sys admins, etc etc. I am running straight Darwin on a server here, so I'll be installing it on there. As for my local Mac OS X/Aqua box, i'll leave it alone and just wait for the next Mac OS X update wish is bound to update the underlying Darwin kernel.

I think just installing from the bin will wipe out what you know as Mac OS X, and will dump you forever in the CLI.

But hell, if any of you can figure out a way to fully update the Darwin core without messing around with the higher levels of X, then go for it. I'll be watching this thread for just that

/adam

Riemann Zeta
Apr 13, 2001, 11:01 PM

Question:
Is it possible to run straight Darwin 1.3.1 and then compile XFree86 on top of it to have a nice, fast, graphics accelerated, UNIX based alternative to OS X?
Also, does Darwin have Carbon or Cocoa?
Does Darwin have Power Management?

Pismo 400 / 384 MB RAM

Eugene
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 11:25 PM

WARNING: Don't try what I've said below. I tried it on fresh install on a non-critical computer and, duh, my NetInfo database was wiped out, making it impossible to login. However, more problems are apparent. Components like shell start-up scripts have been changed in such a way that the machine boots straight to a console login...

If you mount Darwin on another partition, and it's represented as /Volumes/Darwin, you should be able to do a "cp -r /Volumes/Darwin /" and all new files will be copied into the right place. No old files would be lost, except for newer files from the Darwin volume...

I don't think I'd try it though. I don't have spare equipment to do it on...

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 04-14-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules