Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I did something very stupid HELP!!!!!

I did something very stupid HELP!!!!!
m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 02:20 AM

I meant to remove a folder inside /usr ...but instead I removed /usr

Now OSX wont boot, and mac os 9 wont load saying the disk isn't recognizeable and should be initliazed.

When I put the osx cd in and boot holding C...it comes up and doesn't even show the drive listed...I cant boot with the osx 9 cd either..says the same thing about the drive not being recognized.
I even tried booting off a firewire drive...but when I do, I still cant see my HD.

any suggestions?

I dont want to lose everything -=[

M2

More specifically I should say that When OS X starts to load...it never gets past the spinning color wheel and the smiling mac guy...

[This message has been edited by m2bored (edited 05-19-2001).]

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 02:32 AM

Well, it sounds to me as if you were playing with root and or invisible files. Don't do that unless you know what you are doing.

Put the OS X CD in and boot off of it. Try to create a new user via the change password options in the installer's menu bar. If that doesn't work, back up your data in 9 and try to install OS X over your current non-working copy. The installer "should" update the system.

I can't really tell you if this is safe bet if you have 10.01 10.02 or 10.03 installed. But hey... you backed up your data and its worth a try.
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 02:34 AM

I actually do know what im doing..but im really tired..and wasn't
thinking...By the time I caught my mistake I had rebooted.
The problem is..I cant load 9 either, or else I would back up everything. 9 doesn't recognize the disk as being readable.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

M2

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2001, 02:35 AM

Sounds to me like you need the data recovery features of Norton Utilities or TechTool Pro.

------------------
"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."
-Macworld

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 02:38 AM

To avoid confusion...I should mention im typing this from my girlfriends computer.

It looks like their may be hope...
When I booted with the osx install cd..it lets u run disk first aid...which has detected the disk...
Gotta go see what I can do..

M2

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 03:07 AM

uyghh no luck...
It wont let me boot from the firewire...
even when I select it as the startup disk (when I boot from the os 9 cd)...

HMM

m2

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 03:20 AM

sorry double post..

JFK2000
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 06:00 AM

First, I would cross post this problem on the mac fix it forum, since they seem to be pretty good at this kind of stuff.

I would try and use hd set up to try and mount the disk. I had an unreadable disk a while back and I could mount it using hd set up.

If you can mount it, you may be able to retrieve your data from it. You could then try and boot off the firewire drive and after recovering data, try and restall X on the internal drive. It shouldn't totally trash your system, but if you have done stuff like install an Xwindows system or otherwise changed the original libraries, you may lose those modifications by reinstalling x.

But the main thing is trying to get the disk to mount, if you can do that you may be able to get your data and hopefully repair it.

Good luck. We all make these mistakes some time or other, like when you actually choose quit when you want to choose save and the system crashes just at that time so all your work is lost. But I wouldn't give up until I tried a few different ways to get into the disk. And I would definitely look at mac fix it, which is devoted to helping us recover from such disasters.

------------------
Always go to other people's funerals or they won't come to yours.
Always go to other people's funerals or they won't come to yours.

m2
May 19, 2001, 11:21 AM

no luck mounting it at all... =[
I posted it at macfixit...
If anyone has nay more ideas let me know.
Worse case scenario...I guess I could initliize it, install os 9, then use a recovery program to see what I can get off the HD.

Thanks for the help,

M2

thg250
May 19, 2001, 01:52 PM

You might try Disk Warrior, which can sometimes repair bad directory corruption like keys and sibling links that make stuff unusable. Probably worth the investment in the longer term. Good luck!

asxless
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 03:49 PM

I have had good luck repairing an OS X partition (twice) which was not recognized by the Finder (Would you like to initialize...? Yeah right!). I booted from an OS 9.1 partition (it should work from the OS 9.1 CD) and used disk first aid to repair the partition's directories. There was quite a bit of damage that it repaired.

For others reading this thread who are wondering whether to partition thier drive... This is why I ALWAYS partition my hard disk and maintain TWO bootable partitions. The 2nd one can be very small and spartan. It just needs to be able to boot and run a few utilities so I can recover from mistakes (mine or the OS's). - asxless

Forum Links
Forum Rules