Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Partitioning and Installation

Partitioning and Installation
47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2000, 04:48 PM

I noticed in the Beta docs that there is no longer the "Important" note that says Mac OS 9 needs to be on the FIRST partition of a split drive. I have it on the second partition.. could it be that this requirement is no longer true?

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2000, 05:03 PM

Apple would actually prefer you to have 9 on the second partition and X on the first.
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 05:29 PM

Why does it need to be on the first partition?

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2000, 06:09 PM

>>Apple would actually prefer you to have 9 on the second partition and X on the first.

Well, not according to the PDF docs that come with OS X PB, and which are posted at Apple's web site. Specifically, according to MacOSX_PB_Welcome.pdf: "If you use separate disk partitions, be sure Mac OS 9 is installed on the first partition."

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 06:52 PM

what could happen if it were reversed do you think? I don't understand what the difference is. Isn't it arbitrary which partition is numbered 1,2 and so forth since it is a round disk?

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2000, 07:19 PM

O.k. I just read the pdf document you talked about pale rider and I think I understand. But that has led me to another question.

I have OS 9.0 on one partition of my iMac DV/SE and I have OS 8.6 on another partition. This is the strategy that I'm going to use for OS X...I'll upgrade 8.6 to 9.0 and then download 9.04. So I'll have a 9.04 partition and also a 9.0 partition. Assuming my 9.0 partition is the 2nd partition the 9.04 partition is the 1st I will then install Mac OS X over top of 9.04.

The question is will OS X get confused between my OS 9 partition and my OS 9.04 partition? I could see where it might get confused if the 9.0 partition was no. 1 and then I installed over 9.04 on partition no. 2.

I want to do it like this because I don't want to disturb that 9.0 partition at all.

Thanks,
Mike

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2000, 11:43 PM

Looks like I may be in a bind. My first master drive is a 30 GB Maxtor. My second master drive is a 10 GB Maxtor(on the second IDE cable).

---from the OS X Install pdf
Installing on a Power Mac G4 with a second ATA disk.

If you have a Power Mac G4 computer that came with an internal ATA disk and you have
connected a second ATA disk to the same port, you must install this release of Mac OS
X on the original ATA disk.
---
Does this mean 1) I have to use the original Quantum drive, or 2) that I can simply install OS X on the first or second master drive?

I would prefer to install it on the second master drive, due to my partitioning scheme.

thanks!
Dual G5 2.3 GHz Powermac, 2.5 GB ram, GeForce 6600, Belkin 4 port USB hub,, SyncMaster 21" LCD, iMic.

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2000, 11:58 PM

Interesting question MAlan. I can understand your desire to keep the 9.0 partition intact. And I don't really see why it should present a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules