Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > college computer: laptop or desktop??

college computer: laptop or desktop??
pml589
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 09:56 PM

I am going to college next fall and i am wondering if it is helpful to get a laptop even though some drawbacks exist: it could get lost, STOLEN, or broken. and would it be important to get a PC since that is what will most likely be the computer the college will have (if i get a mac, will i have compatibility problems)?

------------------
http://projectpat.best.cd
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

mindwaves
Jan 31, 2001, 10:07 PM

Defintely buy a desktop first then if you have enough money then buy a laptop since you wont be carrying it anywhere. Most people have little need for a laptop in college and I also suggest that you might want to invest in a cheap floppy drive just in case(I usually send my files via e-mail) but you may just wnt hard copy. You will have little compatibility differences because most mac programs can open windoze files and besides file sharing is not really an issue because you should do your own work and not get it from someone else. My suggestion is to either get an iMac or a PowerMac with a cheap display(not too cheap) and buy Mac OS X and amaze people. Thats all.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 10:12 PM

It matters what software you're using. If you use Office, macs are fine. If you need simple network access or printer sharing on a windows network, macs are fine (just install DAVE). If you're using anything windows-only, there's always Virtual PC.

------------------

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 11:37 PM

i have to disagree with mindwaves.
i had a desktop for the first three years of college, and bought a laptop this summer.
the difference is incredible.
i do a lot of work in the library, and taking my powerbook there is quite nice.
i work in the theater (i'm a lighting design major) and taking my pb there is essential.

it really depends if you're going to want to work in other places.
there are ethernet ports all around the benches outside at my school,
and i spend some time when it's nice out there, especially in the afternoon,
when i should be doing work but don't want to miss the gorgeous day.

overall, of course, it depends what you are going to use your computer for.
having a laptop allows you to do things you wouldn't be able to do otherwise,
like:

-writing your papers somewhere else b/c you don't get along w/ your roomate (it happens)
-writing your papers somewhere else b/c your roomate has sexiled you (it happens)
-writing your papers somewhere else b/c your friend, who unfortunately has a desktop, is in the same class, and you'd like to work together so you can share thoughts and generally mourn your misfortune in having to write this paper.

basically...
although you're fine w/ a desktop (and, if you're going to want to play mad quake 3, get a pc tower with a great graphics card), a laptop will set you free...

on the mac vs. pc debate... some colleges are all mac, some are all pc. most are both.
find out what environment you're going into, and, truthfully, match it.
why?
colleges often have site licenses for important programs, and if you have a pc, and they're all mac, or vice-versa, you're likely to be denied access to great free stuff!

but, having said that, i love macs. that's why i'm here.
if i had a dollar for every time my housemate had a question about his dell laptop and couldn't figure it out,
or every time he had to reboot because of some peripheral... well, i could order pizza and not be so hungry.

me?
i just say "oh... i just turned that off, or plugged that in... no problems here."

this is quite long, so i'll stop now.
whatever you get, enjoy it.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 11:44 PM

Poocat makes a good case for a laptop, but they are more stealable than desktops. It's a tough choice. About compatibility, ask at the schools where you're applying, but my sense is that most schools accomodate both Macs and PCs pretty readily. My school is predominantly PC, but the 10% or so of us who use Macs get along pretty well. The only difficulty is with tech services--which tend to be non-existent for Macs (or worse--there's one guy in tech services who doesn't know anything at all about Macs and recommends that people do things that are detrimental to their machines). Fortunately, Macs don't need tech services all that often and when they do you'll discover that Mac folks tend to help each other without need for tech people. This board is an example of it
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

pml589  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2001, 12:09 AM

Hey thanks for the input, and if people still want to have a say in this discussion, i will listen
-=P-Lo=-

AMDG
http://www.cnnpromos.com/supercrew/feature.htm

bookrat
Feb 1, 2001, 12:31 AM

I'm for laptop - poocat has already made a good argument. The laptop may be the most stealable item but that depends on how much an ego trip you need and how careful you can be. If you have no need to show it to many people (and thus proclaiming, "HEY LOOK HERE I HAVE A SHYTE HOT LAPTOP") and are not liable to forgetfull leave things behind you should be ok.

I've just given a Vaio to my other half's sister and have shown her how to use the Kensington lock to secure it when she leaves it in her room (in it's bag inside a cupboard hooked up to a secure metal railing within the cupboard or scured to a fixed post beside the desk if you wish). She had a friend whose exact same Vaio was stolen but then what would you expect if you left it on the desk and went to the bathroom...DUH!

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

mindwaves
Feb 1, 2001, 12:35 AM

Again, I am emphasizing buying a desktop unless you have lots of money which college students usually do not. I was looking to buy a laptop but instead bought an iMac and used the extra money to buy some peripherals like a cd\rw drive and some software.

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2001, 01:21 AM

A close friend of mine purchased a PowerBook G3/333 for college a year and a half ago and hated it... not enough power, he really wanted a CD-RW and DVD, a much larger drive, the screen was bad for art (which he does a lot of), and the portability never really factored in for him. He sold it and replaced it with a G4/400 and 17" display (and a number of peripherals) and is much happier.

It really depends on your needs.

gorefan68
Banned
Feb 1, 2001, 04:25 AM

My advice is this:

BOTH.

Get an iMac, or any NON top of the line mac. Then purchase a CHEAP CHEAP powerbook. Doesnt matter what speed. Why?

Ok, laptops suck for ANYTHING except mobility. They are not as fast, screens arent as good, keyboard isnt as good, everything is compromised for space. In order to get a good performing laptop, you need to spend a LOT of $. So, get a decent desktop, one that can do games, email, surfing, programming, whatever.

If you need PROOF that this is the way to go, just look above. One person stated "get a laptop because: You can write papers here. You can write papers there.... you can write papers..."

See the pattern? Laptops only saving grace is that you can write papers somewhere else. Well guess what? Even a 200mhz laptop can run a wordprocessor just fine. So get a cheapie laptop.

Oh yeah, mac compatibility isn't a prob at my school, but look into what school you're going to first....

-Ca$h

bleen
Senior User
Feb 1, 2001, 04:39 AM

I have an iBook Special Edition and I find it to be perfect for college. I also picked up a Cannon Portable printer so wherever I am I can work on school work and print it out. At home I have an AirPort card and base station so I can go wherever I want and surf the web or do network stuff.

Titanium X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 09:11 AM

get this one

[This message has been edited by Titanium X (edited 02-01-2001).]

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2001, 07:27 PM

There are at least two additional practical considerations. My newphew took a honking big Windows computer and a honking big monitor with him to school, about 800 miles from home. Transport that sucker back home for the holidays, won't you? Also, he had virtually no room on his desk, once his monitor was set up.

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 08:39 PM

Laptops can be helpful because of mobility, but you have to watch it every second. Laptops disappear all the time...

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is true...
*The previous sentence is false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Archangel
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 08:55 PM

I have both a G4 desktop and an iBook. If you have the money, get both. The iBook is great for portable word processing and taking notes/ playing games in class. The desktop is great for games and general use. If I were you though, I would go big on the desktop and get a cheaper laptop because you'll only be using it for wordprocessing, light emailing, and light web browsing.

Get a mac. My school is almost entirely PC, and I dont really notice it thanks to MS Office and AIM. With the former you can access all of their documents with the later you have access to the entire network if you have a friend.

------------------
"Elvis has left the building!"

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 2, 2001, 12:59 AM

My reply from the locked version of this thread:

What is your intended major? What do you plan on doing with your machine? Are you living on campus? Does your dorm have ethernet hookups? What OS are you accustomed to?

I used to do presentations for the university I went to, so we got this question a lot from incoming students and their parents.

VRL
Senior User
Feb 2, 2001, 05:45 AM

What to get would depend on what you need, and what you think you may need. (See Demonhood's post.) I need power for apps like Photoshop. And I enjoy playing games to relax, so I have a computer that can handle it. So a G3 or G4 is a must. And like mr_sonicblue mentioned, Dave works fine if you need to connect to a PC. Virtual PC is pretty good, too.

Portability is very nice, so I'm picking up a laptop. By sending a couple bucks a month to my insurance company, they will cover it (in case it's stolen, or I spill a soda on it). With password protect and maybe PGP, data will be pretty secure.

If you can do it, get both. Maybe a newer laptop, older desktop. (Even old 68K computers can be used many things, including e-mail.) You can find great deals on older Macs. Heck, I've been given a couple working Macs (some people just don't know what they have).

Regards ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

gorefan68
Banned
Feb 2, 2001, 01:06 PM

No way man. A weak desktop with good laptop is a dumb idea. Why? The only thing that laptops are good for is doing some wordprocessing outside. They have dinky wang pricey harddrives, crap video cards, a smaller screen...

basically, laptops= crappy computer

IN COMPARISON

to a desktop you could get for the same price. Purchase a COOL desktop, pimp it out, and pick up a cheap ghetto laptop that can wordprocess, the main use for any laptop....

Ca$h

iMight
Feb 2, 2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by pml589:
I am going to college next fall . . . and would it be important to get a PC since that is what will most likely be the computer the college will have (if i get a mac, will i have compatibility problems)?
Read this thread, pml589 - http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000280.html - and call the university housing director Monday morning.

Good luck this Fall!

------------------
iMight [email protected]
The G4 Cube: Size does matter!
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules