Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Virtual PC 4 & OS X

Virtual PC 4 & OS X
bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 11:41 PM

So for purposes of work and school I purchased Virtual PC 4.0.

I also got Mac OS X.

When I try to boot up VPC 4, I get an error message saying, "Virtual PC 4 is incompatible with this version of Mac OS X."

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! What can I do??????

Thanks!!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bleen
Senior User
Mar 27, 2001, 12:38 AM

Either one of two things :-( Boot into OS 9 to run Virtural PC, or wait till Connectix releases the patch for it to run Native in OS X or to run in Classic.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 01:04 AM

Pardon me for being so naive, but how do I boot into OS 9? I know I can boot up OS 9 Classic, but do I have the ability to boot into OS 9 regular?

Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2001, 01:31 AM

If you can boot into Classic then you can boot into OS 9 stand-alone (classic just uses a valid install of OS 9 if it can find one).

To do this, you need to open the System Preferences, and choose the "Startup Disk" pane. Then choose which OS installation to startup from. To change this setting back, from Mac OS 9, go to the Apple Menu, Control Panels, Startup Disk and make your choice there.

Alternatively, on new machines, you can hold down the Option key while starting up to get a list of bootable volumes you can choose from (affects the current boot only).

Forum Links
Forum Rules