Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can "ownership"/sync account on iPad be changed?

Can "ownership"/sync account on iPad be changed?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2011, 05:27 PM

Hey, folks, just got a new iPad2 that I want to prep properly before I deliver it next week to my daughter.
Trouble is: I don't know what her iTunes acct name & pw are (and don't want her to guess why I'm asking).

What I need to know: can I sync this iPad to *my* iTunes account... and *later* change it over to her?
(or set up a temp dummy iTunes account?)

I'd like to be able to download (and be familiar with) a bunch of free apps before wrapping it up and giving it to her.

Suggestions/strategies appreciated
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 10:05 PM

Apps are owned by the account that downloaded them. Any iPad (iPhone or iPod touch) can be resync-ed to another computer with a different iTunes account and it will use those apps.

When you copy the apps to another computer (the files from the original account's computer), the computer will ask to authorize them, requiring the original account info and password.

I gave my niece my old iPhone. Instead of buying apps, I just gave her an iTunes gift card and let her and her parents figure out how to deal with the accounts.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks, Eriamjh.
That's what I was suspecting but couldn't find documented anywhere.
Since I'm tech support for family (even remote), it fell to me to have it all set up first - plus that made it possible to have a ready-to-play surprise gift that could be sent via a low-tech delivery gal.
[ Plus: now I get to play away on the iPad before sending it off ]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011, 05:23 PM

I was just about to post a new topic regarding a similar issue.

I have my office laptop which I sync an iPod Touch. I have bought several apps apps and what not from that laptop. In my home I have my gaming pc which I sync with my iPad. On both instances I used my personal itunes account (the same account). I want to buy a game (atari greatest hits), but I want to have it on both, my iPad and iPod touch. From what I have read its considered a "universal app" meaning it will work on both. Anyway, how do I get to buy it for example right now in my office ( for my iPod touch) and then copy it on my iPad at home?? do I have to buy it twice? I ask because for example I bought twice BeejiveIM in order to have them once for my iPod touch and another for my iPad.

thanks alot for your assistance,
Ivan

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2011, 12:46 PM

I just downloaded again the app from within the iPad and I was asked if it needed to restore it (answer yes) and that did the trick. I now have it on both iPod touch and iPad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2011, 01:23 PM

You could have just downloaded it again on your home machine.

You can "buy" apps as often as you like on any machine using the same account without getting billed again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules