Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight indexing mediocre

Spotlight indexing mediocre
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2019, 01:28 PM

I have a big folder called EMAIL, spotlight wont find it. Easyfind wont either, and it in plain site.

I don't see a way of knowing anymore if spotlight is indexing after the update trick. Any apps/ ideas? Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 23, 2019, 03:50 PM

Is it an alias, or really at the location you see it?

• Spotlight will miss things if they are in a protected location: Spotlight prefs -> Privacy tab. (applies to actual folder location)
• Spotlight will miss things if their category is turned off: Spotlight prefs -> Search Results (make sure "Mail & Messages" is checked)
• Spotlight will not return results if the folder contents are owned by a different user. Do you have to authenticate before opening the folder or any contents? This would also mess up Easyfind.
• If the folder is an alias and the real folder is on another volume, that would explain why Easyfind failed. Also Spotlight, if that other volume is listed in the Privacy tab.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2019, 02:38 AM

Nice points Reader, none of those points apply as this folder is in plain site, not hidden or protected in any way, and gets used a lot.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 24, 2019, 02:50 AM

By "plain sight", do you mean on your Desktop? You're not telling us much.

EasyFind should find it, provided its search begins above that folder, and that it is set to compatible search parameters. ie - searching for "files & folders" or "folders". "ignore case" could matter as well.

Possibility: you accidentally included a non-printing character in the folder name. If the name is "EMA[control-d]IL" then searching for "EMAIL" will not find it. A leading or trailing space might cause the same problem. Solution would be to highlight it, and rename it to a clean "EMAIL".

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2019, 07:43 PM

reader thanks, ah.. now Spotlight is finding the folder called EMAIL. Another folder with same name (which I never use or open), is #1 result, and the EMAIL I use all time is #2. Nothing odd about name etc... But before posting here, when I was really trying to find this folder it did not come up at all..

Forum Links
Forum Rules