Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do you erase all personal info?

How do you erase all personal info?
loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 02:23 PM

I'm selling my MB, if I install OS X again, will this erase all of my personal info?

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 02:29 PM

No, unless you use the erase data option while booted from the installation/restore disc. Use the 7-pass option for improved erasure.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No, unless you use the erase data option while booted from the installation/restore disc. Use the 7-pass option for improved erasure.
so there's a an option for the 7-pass when I re-install OS X?

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by loveanh View Post
so there's a an option for the 7-pass when I re-install OS X?
When you boot the installer from the CD, go to the menu Tools or something (can't remember exactly) and pick disk utility. There, you can format the drive. I personally do the zero out data option. Sure, less secure than 7-pass or 35-pass, but a good trade off of time and security. Make sure to format the disk in something like HFS+ journaled and also you might have to create a partition manually.

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
When you boot the installer from the CD, go to the menu Tools or something (can't remember exactly) and pick disk utility. There, you can format the drive. I personally do the zero out data option. Sure, less secure than 7-pass or 35-pass, but a good trade off of time and security. Make sure to format the disk in something like HFS+ journaled and also you might have to create a partition manually.

you just lost me, that is a lot for a newbie such as myself

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 03:11 PM

Disk Utility, click your HD, choose the Erase tab, and click 'Security Options..."

Choose the 7-pass erase, and find something else to do for a few hours. (It takes a while.)

When it's complete, close disk utility and continue your reinstallation.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 03:14 PM

you just lost me, that is a lot for a newbie such as myself
Sorry.

0. backup your drive
1. insert installer CD
2. reboot and hold down 'c' to boot from CD
3. There will be a menu with a bunch of tools in it - terminal, disk utility, etc.
3a. pick disk utility
4. click on the hard drive icon in the left.
5. there is a button for "erase options" -- choose zero out or 7-pass (this step takes a long time)
6. tell disk util to erase the volume.
7. there is a tab called "partition." you might have to click it and "create" a partition on the erased volume.
8. once you close disk utility, the installer will reappear and you should be able to install OS X onto the freshly formatted drive.

hope this is helpful!

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 03:15 PM

Boot from your OS X DVD, and open disk utility. In disk utility select your start-up disc on the left, then select the "erase" tab on the top right. Here select "security options" (in the lower right) and select "7-pass" in the resulting pop-up menu. This writes zeros in all spaces on the disk 7 times for added security (you could also use a single pass, but it's not as secure, or a 30 pass, which takes a very long time but is the most secure). It does take awhile to do this.

Note that you could also do a standard "Erase," but this doesn't actually erase the data, it just erases the directory info for the data. Without the directory information the information can't be retrieved w/o special software, and will eventually be written over. This, however, isn't really a good idea if you're selling the MB to a stranger.

Once the drive is erased, you can then install OS X on the now clean drive (again using the start-up DVD).

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Disk Utility, click your HD, choose the Erase tab, and click 'Security Options..."

Choose the 7-pass erase, and find something else to do for a few hours. (It takes a while.)

When it's complete, close disk utility and continue your reinstallation.
app
utilities
disk utility

Erase:

Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - it's grey

Name: Untitled - it's also grey

Erase Free Space Security Options Erase all grey

loveanh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Timetheus View Post
Boot from your OS X DVD, and open disk utility. In disk utility select your start-up disc on the left, then select the "erase" tab on the top right. Here select "security options" (in the lower right) and select "7-pass" in the resulting pop-up menu. This writes zeros in all spaces on the disk 7 times for added security (you could also use a single pass, but it's not as secure, or a 30 pass, which takes a very long time but is the most secure). It does take awhile to do this.

Note that you could also do a standard "Erase," but this doesn't actually erase the data, it just erases the directory info for the data. Without the directory information the information can't be retrieved w/o special software, and will eventually be written over. This, however, isn't really a good idea if you're selling the MB to a stranger.

Once the drive is erased, you can then install OS X on the now clean drive (again using the start-up DVD).
thanks, I will try this and post back, many thanks to everyone

Cold Warrior
Oct 8, 2007, 03:41 PM

app
utilities
disk utility

Erase:

Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - it's grey

Name: Untitled - it's also grey

Erase Free Space Security Options Erase all grey
Because you have to boot from the install/restore disc. You can't erase the volume using disk utility because you are booted from the volume.

Forum Links
Forum Rules