Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 55)
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What is this $160 crap people are screaming about?
Not sure there. I missed that one too. I guess they have to send some in for repair and they are having to come out the pocket for the cost. If thats the case, thats not good at all.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

And this is happening....why?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2006, 02:05 PM

XBOX support is taking the stance that the FU did not brick consoles. Therefore, it's out of warranty service that the end user must pay for.

For more, you can check out the 360 Hardware board over at xbox.com. Threads of particular note are:

http://forums.xbox.com/4411300/ShowPost.aspx

http://forums.xbox.com/8527831/ShowPost.aspx

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
I guess all I can say at this point is: Typical Microsoft. Why on earth I finally gave them money for one of their products (X360) is beyond me. I should of known better. Never again.

My 360 is connected via VGA to a front projector (720p). Looks great. Upscaled DVDs look great. It became my only DVD video player. All around a happy camper (save GoW resolution problems over VGA but that is Epic's horrific QC ****-up). I downloaded the lastest 360 update last week without a problem and stuff even looks better than before. Even fixed a nagging resolution problem I had. I was pretty happy.

Over the weekend, which is really the only time I have to play games, the 360 locked up. Not once or twice but all the freakin' time. I didn't have anytime to investigate so forgot about it. Until I stumbled across this tonight on Engadget:

I am not an XBOX beta tester so please, Microsoft XBOX Division, PLEASE STOP TREATING ME AS ONE! I have a useless piece of hardware now until they get their **** together. Hooking up component will cost me hours fishing the wire back to the projector. It is NOT an option.

I know it's been brought up before, somewhere in the murky depths of this thread, but I'm pissed and need to reiterate: QC for video games and systems is abhorant nowadays when things can always get "updated" after a release. I have 25 year old video game systems that still work - you plug it into the AC, hook it to a TV and turn it on and play. What a novel idea!

"That's just the way things are nowadays", is a pathetic attempt to give these bastards the green light to keep producing and selling ****.

If this is next-gen, I think I'm going to bow out of gaming at this juncture and go actually play a game - on my Odyssey.
Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Whilst I agree with most of your statement, it's not like reproduction of the problem is rocket science: Hook VGA cable up to 720p display, apply latest update and bingo. You can go on all day about the "complexities" of today's technology but this problem is utter lazyness and shitty QC. I am in a tech job for a living. Have been for years. If I sent out an update to the corporate network that started bricking machines, I would expect to be fired.

At least mine boots. There's a whole **** load of people who got the red light ring of death after applying the update - so if there was a fix (to the fix of the fix), they couldn't apply it. MS's answer? $140 for repair.

GoW was a similar problem. They never tested it on a 720p display with VGA so they didn't know the game resolution was all distorted. "Oh, whoops!". Hopefully my $60 will help fund some more untrained monkeys for your QC lab, Epic.
What is this $160 crap people are screaming about?
Read the posts I quoted above yours. It's what started this stupid argument in the first place.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:14 PM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:24 PM

It's an invalid point though.
Then may you enjoy many years of bricked consoles and $100+ repair bills.

For the record, it's not cool when computer updates do this either. However, I still don't think they're particularly comparable. And intermittent airport problems are not in the same league as bricking a console that then has to be sent in for repair.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 02:25 PM

People are not reading the EULA of the update.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
People are not reading the EULA of the update.
And we all know that EULAs are legally binding...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2006, 06:37 PM

For the record, I totally agree the there is no excuse for bricking a console, and if the update did legitimately cause the problem, then MS should be responsible for paying for it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I agree. At first I was "huh?".

Then again, we don't know the details.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:09 PM

No problems with the Fall update on my 360. It's not a universal problem.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:28 PM

Question for you XBox 360 owners. I have a 37" Philips LCD TV that natively displays 720P and can also display 1080i. I just ordered the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 and want to get the best picture possible. Should I allow the 360 to upconvert to 1080i or output directly to 720P? Using componant cables...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Question for you XBox 360 owners. I have a 37" Philips LCD TV that natively displays 720P and can also display 1080i. I just ordered the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 and want to get the best picture possible. Should I allow the 360 to upconvert to 1080i or output directly to 720P? Using componant cables...
I mentioned this in the HDTV thread, but most people (from what I hear) prefer to stick with 720p. I've tried both while visiting my parents house, and 720p looks great. The higher number is deceiving.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I mentioned this in the HDTV thread, but most people (from what I hear) prefer to stick with 720p. I've tried both while visiting my parents house, and 720p looks great. The higher number is deceiving.
Thanks - that's what I figured. I have it set to output 720P on this TV and it looks fantastic. Actually looks sharper than 1080i did on my 55" rear projection Philips (which doesn't do 720P).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 09:44 PM

Thanks - that's what I figured. I have it set to output 720P on this TV and it looks fantastic. Actually looks sharper than 1080i did on my 55" rear projection Philips (which doesn't do 720P).
Yr'welcome...

Even if I had a 1080p-enabled HDTV, I'd still use 720p.

720p looks snazzier than 1080i, but worse than 1080p...BUT games running at 1080p typically have serious framerate issues. Therefore, for now, 720p looks to be the best resolution to run games on, which is in looking for an HDTV, I haven't considered 1080p, as it just jacks the price up. I'm not entirely sold on the HD-DVD/Bluray thing yet anyways.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 10:01 PM

Yr'welcome...

Even if I had a 1080p-enabled HDTV, I'd still use 720p.

720p looks snazzier than 1080i, but worse than 1080p...BUT games running at 1080p typically have serious framerate issues. Therefore, for now, 720p looks to be the best resolution to run games on, which is in looking for an HDTV, I haven't considered 1080p, as it just jacks the price up. I'm not entirely sold on the HD-DVD/Bluray thing yet anyways.
I'm not sold on it either (HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray). but for $199 I can get HD DVD capability so I went for it. Reviews of the 360 HD-DVD drive are great so far. Plus, it's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of movies in HD-DVD - I'll just be able to get available ones from NetFlix now.

I was almost tempted to try and get a PS3 to have the Blu-Ray player but couldn't justify it. I have too much money invested in 360 games, accessories, etc. lol

Seems the whole HD-DVD/Blu-Ray debate will be going on for a long time. At any rate, it's a good time to be a a gamer! Choice is always good.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2006, 11:33 PM

Plus, it's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of movies in HD-DVD - I'll just be able to get available ones from NetFlix now.
Yeah, I plan to do that for the Blu-ray movies as well. I'm impressed that Netflix has both and doesn't try to charge you extra for them.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 8, 2006, 12:45 AM

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Dec 8, 2006 at 01:04 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 12:50 AM

I'm not sold on it either (HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray). but for $199 I can get HD DVD capability so I went for it. Reviews of the 360 HD-DVD drive are great so far. Plus, it's not like I'm going to buy a bunch of movies in HD-DVD - I'll just be able to get available ones from NetFlix now.

I was almost tempted to try and get a PS3 to have the Blu-Ray player but couldn't justify it. I have too much money invested in 360 games, accessories, etc. lol

Seems the whole HD-DVD/Blu-Ray debate will be going on for a long time. At any rate, it's a good time to be a a gamer! Choice is always good.
Oh, don't get me wrong. After another half-year or so, I'll be getting the HD-DVD drive add on for the 360, as long as the format looks like it's going to stick around.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Whoops.

Looks like Nintendo might be starting to do something about it:

Nintendo now shipping beefed-up Wii strap? - Engadget

Still don't know why they didn't make them a little thicker in the first place. I guess none of their beta testers had sweaty hands.

"I start fires!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 03:16 AM

I'm still not sure why controllers are getting thrown to begin with.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm still not sure why controllers are getting thrown to begin with.
Because people are stupid?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:55 AM

seriosuly though.....you dont have to swing with that much force..... complaining about it would be liek arguing that buttons on controllers are a bad idea cause when u press them too hard they break the controller. 1 million sold and 10 idiots complaining, is it even worth talking about ?

If i were to escribe it to someone, i would compare it to using a mouse as opposed to a keybpoard for games, even though it's a heck of a lot more than just a cursor controller.

Even my Sony fanboy flatmate was hooked on Wii sports, and to hear him praise Nintendo for innovating was quite strange.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 04:01 AM

Well usually I have my hands wrapped around that controller. There's no way it could go flying away because my fingers are wrapped around it.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Ouch x 50
Wii Have A Problem...

For those who always ask how it happens, here is the famous video of how it happens.
YouTube - Wii remote plus SWEATY HANDS equals SMASH

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 04:26 AM

I just downloaded the demo for Genji: Days of the Blade. Wow, the graphics in this game are freaking amazing! The game itself pretty much sucks (it's just hack-and-slash) but it's a pretty good indication of what the PS3 is capable of, in terms of graphics.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I just downloaded the demo for Genji: Days of the Blade. Wow, the graphics in this game are freaking amazing! The game itself pretty much sucks (it's just hack-and-slash) but it's a pretty good indication of what the PS3 is capable of, in terms of graphics.
Is that the based on actual history with the 'crab'?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Is that the based on actual history with the 'crab'?
Yes. And you can attack its weak point for massive damage!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 05:38 AM

It's got real-time weapon changing too, I hear. But seriously, all these jokes had me going into the game expecting nothing, so I was pretty surprised at how gorgeous it is.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's got real-time weapon changing too, I hear. But seriously, all these jokes had me going into the game expecting nothing, so I was pretty surprised at how gorgeous it is.

That sounds similar to what people were saying about Viva Pinata on the 360. Sounds like a stupid game but the reviews say it is very addicting and has beautiful graphics. Probably my next game purchase...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 10:13 AM

Well, I'm not sure that's the best comparison to make. I'm not saying Genji is a good game -- just one that looks good.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:25 AM

November NPD numbers

GBA 641K
DS 918K
PS2 664K
PS3 196.6K
PSP 411.9K
Wii 476K
360 511.3K

What's the deal with those GBA numbers???

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

720p looks snazzier than 1080i, but worse than 1080p
720p is better than 1080i for images with lots of motion such as video games or sports broadcasts.

With still images 1080i CAN look better but who really watches still images on their TV?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
November NPD numbers

GBA 641K
DS 918K
PS2 664K
PS3 196.6K
PSP 411.9K
Wii 476K
360 511.3K

Funny, I was looking for good GBA games online the other day, since I haven't been using it lately.

I was wondering if it was now defunct.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:36 AM

On that note how long do you think it will be before Nintendo kills the GBA? The micro totally bombed and the DS is selling well as it also plays GB games. The GBA is not much cheaper than the DS either.

I also don't think we will see the next generation of the GameBoy to go against the DS but rather the DS will become the new GB platform.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:38 AM

I forgot about the micro.

Seriously, they were d�cks releasing a third iteration of the GBA so soon, and one with the disadvantage of not playing reg GB games, IIRC.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
On that note how long do you think it will be before Nintendo kills the GBA? The micro totally bombed and the DS is selling well as it also plays GB games. The GBA is not much cheaper than the DS either.

I also don't think we will see the next generation of the GameBoy to go against the DS but rather the DS will become the new GB platform.
If it keeps selling like that they will probably never kill it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hmmm... Not even 200k for the PS3. Is that US only or North America only?

I assume it's not worldwide numbers.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:53 AM

If it keeps selling like that they will probably never kill it.
I think the GB (The clamshell one) is a good pocket system, the Micro stinks and the GBA is clunky, hope they still don't sell those.

They should lose the micro and GBA and make the Clamshell GB one the new micro system.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hmmm... Not even 200k for the PS3. Is that US only or North America only?

I assume it's not worldwide numbers.
USA only.

I loved the GBA SP. The Micro seems completely lame. I saw them going for $39 a few weeks ago, so maybe they are clearing them out.

What these really show us is that there are a lot of casual gamers out there, and they wnt to buy what is cheap. The PS2 sold 600,000 freaking units. That's insane. I would think that everyone who wanted a PS2 would have one by now. They have to be approaching complete saturation. Who is buying these?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:16 PM

That's insane. I would think that everyone who wanted a PS2 would have one by now. They have to be approaching complete saturation. Who is buying these?
I think it is casual gamers and parents.

Mom walks into best buy and sees $250 Wii's, $400 Xbox's and $600 PS3 so they talk their kids into a $100 PS2 with the biggest game library in the world. I doubt little Jimmy would complain.

I think Guitar hero is also help push the PS2 to people who normally wouldn't want one. Heck at $100 for a slim PS2 that also plays DVD's it is pretty much an impulse buy and I have seen them stacked right by the cashier right with the batteries and cheap DVD's.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:17 PM

Sony PlayStation 3 Misses U.S. Target, Loses to Wii

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

That should come as no surprise to anyone.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:30 PM

BetaNews | Has Xbox 360 Already Won the War?

MS was smart for coming out a year ahead and amazingly they pulled it off with hardware that stands strong against the PS3.

The only thing I would change about the Xbox is:

The stupid huge power supply
How loud the CD drive is
Get rid of the stupid core system
Make the HD-DVD drive standard next year

The only major downside is they are the only system with no motion controls which might bite them in the ass which is what happens when you come out before you know what the other guys are doing. Luckily they can add a motion controller anytime or use the camera to do similar things.

The Xbox might beat the PS3 this round in the west, but for sure not in Japan.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 12:34 PM

As I've said before, XBox 360 is going to be the #1 console. It's going to be between the PS3 and Wii, and Nintendo is shipping enough units to stay ahead of Sony.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:39 PM

The PS2 still outsells the XBOX 360. That's not a win for Microsoft's system.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
As I've said before, XBox 360 is going to be the #1 console. It's going to be between the PS3 and Wii, and Nintendo is shipping enough units to stay ahead of Sony.
For now...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2006, 12:48 PM

For the foreseeable future.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:00 PM

I'm hoping for a 33/33/33 type of split between the big three. That would be best for consumers.

Even though I own an Xbox, I really don't want Microsoft controlling the console industry. I don't want Sony or Nintendo to control it either.

The best thing for everyone is lots of healthy competition.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:05 PM

Oh and the Xbox needs HDMI, stat!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'm hoping for a 33/33/33 type of split between the big three. That would be best for consumers.

Even though I own an Xbox, I really don't want Microsoft controlling the console industry. I don't want Sony or Nintendo to control it either.

The best thing for everyone is lots of healthy competition.
I'm not worried. Console leaders tend to change every few generations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules