Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > etch a sketch trash can

etch a sketch trash can
kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 01:55 AM

Hey guys,

I'm a little hesitant to post this now, but what the hey.

I've written a python script to watch your Apple Sudden Motion sensor, and if it detects that you're shaking the powerbook liike an etch-a-sketch, it'll empty your trash. clean slate, just like an etch a sketch! This will work on 2005+ powerbooks equipped with the apple sudden motion sensor.

Now before you all jump on me, i do realize that shaking your powerbook isn't the best thing to do. It may affect your HD life, who knows - I just wrote it to see if I could - and for the entertainment purpose, of course.

And I'd also like to say that I'm not too accomplished of a programmer, so the scripts are pretty basic. Feel free to tweak the settings to your heart's content. By default, it uses the apple speech default voice to say "gone" (sounds great with vicki) - but that's all tweakable as well.

For the scripts and installation instructions, check http://www.kertong.com/etchatrash/. Also available is a GUi version (just a single icon that you click), but there are some issues (icon doesn't stop bouncing in the dock for about a minute, although it works fine. also, it pegs the CPU, so I recommend only using it for a minute or two to test it out.. if you like it, install the scripts and use those instead).

Happy shakin'! Hope at least some of you get some enjoyment out of this.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

ppops
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 08:13 AM

I want to try this, but I like my powerbook too much, lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules