Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do you turn the f-keys back on (without hitting function)

how do you turn the f-keys back on (without hitting function)
videian28
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 09:03 AM

trying to play a game, need the f-buttons to actually be the f-buttons without having to hit function at the same time

Peabo
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 09:21 AM

download a little system prefs module called 'uControl'. It does what you want & a lot more

Edit: changed link to uControl's web page rather than the download link, which is liable to break. --tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 9, 2003 at 11:48 AM. )
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 06:44 PM

got it, works great thanks

HiRez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
download a little system prefs module called 'uControl'. It does what you want & a lot more

Edit: changed link to uControl's web page rather than the download link, which is liable to break. --tooki
Hey thanks for the link z0ne81, I was having to reboot into OS 9 to fix this previously! Pretty ridiculous that there is still no System Preferences option for changing this, as there was in OS 9. Doesn't Apple realize many games pretty much require the use of the standard function keys? Try winning Medal of Honor while holding your pinky on the function-switch key the whole time, good luck.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." --Woody Allen

Peabo
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 09:43 PM

Yep. I play Lineage regularly and you depend on the f-keys in order to get by T_T
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

BlueCat
Nov 9, 2003, 09:49 PM

Well it's not jsut gaming ... I hate having to hit the Fn key to get my Expose F9 and F10!

By the way, has UControl been changed so that after enabling "real function ksys", I can then hit Fn to get the original functions (i.e. brightness, volume, num lock, etc)?
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules