Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Paradise Papers leak

Paradise Papers leak
reader50
Administrator
Nov 5, 2017, 03:27 PM

On the heels of the Panama Papers leak in 2016, we have a new one. 1.4TB of papers (13.4M files) leaked from Appleby on offshore tax havens.

Lots of good stuff here. Mostly about the global 1% and major corporations finding ways to not pay taxes.

Laundry List of wealthy individuals and groups skipping out on taxes.
Trump's cabinet full of billionaires are well-represented in the papers.
Wilbur Ross, the Commerce Secretary under Trump, has undisclosed (or obscured) financial links to Putin's relatives. I'm sure Mueller's people will waive it away - what's a few $million between friends.

The Panama Papers brought down at least one government (Iceland). This leak looks juicy too. All those billionaires asking for tax relief in the new tax plan - were already stuffing their pockets with tax relief. No wonder the deficit is so high, while most middle-class Americans have less than $1,000 in their bank accounts.

It's obvious that with so much tax being skipped by those at the top, services for lower-income people needs to be cut to balance the books. I can see now why Trump doesn't want any poor people (worth less than millions) in Cabinet posts. They might ask the wrong questions.

The 2017 Paradise Papers. May they go far.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2017, 07:18 PM

The German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung has published a long article about Wilbur Ross‘s involvement with Russian oligarchs. (The Süddeutsche Zeitung is, with the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, one of the top 2 German newspapers.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2017, 07:47 PM

As always, super interested to hear Shaddim & Team inevitably point out that Crooked Hillary is also on here too.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2017, 09:15 PM

I've heard some low level moaning about the Queen. Nothing that sounded terribly significant though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Nov 5, 2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung has published a long article about Wilbur Ross‘s involvement with Russian oligarchs. (The Süddeutsche Zeitung is, with the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, one of the top 2 German newspapers.)
I've been going to DER SPIEGEL for German news ever since they participated in the original Snowden publications. But they have not yet broken the Paradise Papers story.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I've been going to DER SPIEGEL for German news ever since they participated in the original Snowden publications. But they have not yet broken the Paradise Papers story.
It is clear that there was an embargo, because a whole bunch of stories appeared today (Monday). It looks as if Der Spiegel wasn't part of the effort, and therefore doesn't have any scoops. Inside of Germany, it seems that only SZ and two German states's public broadcasting networks were in on it.

I've listened to the latest episode of Reveal, and their team was part of it. Apparently, the documents were first given to Sueddeutsche Zeitung which then passed it on the an international consortium of about 400 journalists, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
As always, super interested to hear Shaddim & Team inevitably point out that Crooked Hillary is also on here too.
There is more to it than showing criminal behavior. It shows in detail to what ends pretty much all big corporations, from Apple to Nike to Walmart, are going in order to avoid paying taxes, perhaps completely legally. According to an interview I heard on the episode of Reveal, it is not uncommon that shell companies can be used to reduce the tax burden from, say, 20 % to 5 %. Even if this is completely legal, it certainly is completely unethical.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2017, 11:21 PM

Just a point of clarification: Der Spiegel is a weekly magazine whereas SZ and FAZ are newspapers. I counted them separately. All three of them are excellent and generally trustworthy, especially Der Spiegel and SZ are powerhouses of investigative journalism. SZ journalists were the ones who received both, the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers, from the whistleblower(s), and they then handed them to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalist. Der Spiegel was among the news organizations who worked on the Snowden Files.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Nov 6, 2017, 07:23 PM

Wilbur Ross is claiming he's done nothing illegal. Some Dems are calling for an explanation, but no Reps yet. He hasn't said why he forgot it during his confirmation hearings. Stay tuned.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 07:24 PM

^^^^

Lot's of things are technically "legal" but still shady AF.

OAW

OreoCookie
Nov 6, 2017, 08:22 PM

Even if the tax evasion scheme is legal, Ross still might be in violation of the Emoluments clause.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2017, 09:07 PM

Apple are in the firing line again. Moved their non-US subsidiary management to Jersey and then sold their IP back to the Irish branch as a £26B tax write off.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 09:20 PM

Even if the tax evasion scheme is legal, Ross still might be in violation of the Emoluments clause.
There is that.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Apple are in the firing line again.
i (not captilized due to this stupid bug) don’t know if i will ever get used to you guys across the pond using a plural verb in conjunction with a single entity. I get the reasoning behind it but it just seems so wrong. Just goes to show you how we all speak English but we don’t necessarily speak the same language!

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2017, 10:45 PM

There is more to it than showing criminal behavior. It shows in detail to what ends pretty much all big corporations, from Apple to Nike to Walmart, are going in order to avoid paying taxes, perhaps completely legally. According to an interview I heard on the episode of Reveal, it is not uncommon that shell companies can be used to reduce the tax burden from, say, 20 % to 5 %. Even if this is completely legal, it certainly is completely unethical.
...and yet we need to close the corporate tax rate for some reason.

Wilbur Ross is claiming he's done nothing illegal. Some Dems are calling for an explanation, but no Reps yet. He hasn't said why he forgot it during his confirmation hearings. Stay tuned.
Somewhere I saw it claimed he did disclose.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
i (not captilized due to this stupid bug) don’t know if i will ever get used to you guys across the pond using a plural verb in conjunction with a single entity. I get the reasoning behind it but it just seems so wrong. Just goes to show you how we all speak English but we don’t necessarily speak the same language!

OAW
Whats really odd is that if I were to use a fuller name like Apple Inc. I could go either way. Its essentially because a company is a group of people when it makes decisions. When you are describing what it is rather than what it does, it becomes a singular entity or institution. It might also be why you guys were able to rule that corporations are people (under certain conditions?). An odd argument I know but the nuances in the way we all understand the same terms differently can be more important than we often realise.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and yet we need to close the corporate tax rate for some reason.
Yup.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Somewhere I saw it claimed he did disclose.
AFAIK Ross did discuss his investment in shipping during his confirmation hearing, but what certainly wasn't elaborated upon in detail is the precise nature of his relationship to Russian state-controlled oil and gas giants. Usually, if you become a member of the administration, you are expected to divest so as to even avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.

In the current climate, I am not optimistic that this will have any repercussions for Ross, but it'll be another brick that cements the idea of improper (business) ties between Russia and various members of the Trump administration and the Trump campaign.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 12:38 AM

Apple are in the firing line again. Moved their non-US subsidiary management to Jersey and then sold their IP back to the Irish branch as a £26B tax write off.
Not to defend Apple, but it is important to keep in mind that everyone is doing it on all levels. Car companies. Sports companies. Computer companies. Retailers. Every. Freaking. One. Reporting this as an Apple or a “new” tech industry problem is a mischaracterization.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2017, 01:12 AM

I agree. They are still the coolest target, especially in light of iPhone X being a hit. Gets you clicks if you attack them.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
Think of it from my point of view- there are all kinds of things I say and write 'British' reflexively because I have lived and worked here for over 11 years, but I do it as an American in an American accent, so I just sound like either an ignorant or pretentious ass. Nothing sounds right to me anymore, I sometimes can't remember which form of what comes from where, and I get laughed at a lot from all sides.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 10:44 AM

I agree. They are still the coolest target, especially in light of iPhone X being a hit. Gets you clicks if you attack them.
That, too. But I reckon they don't want to get into trouble with car companies and the like. Which in a sense is weird, because Apple could buy at least 2 BMW and still buy Starbucks for coffee with the change.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2017, 10:55 AM

Car companies are seen as big employers. Apple is not seen that way despite their numerous stores with ~100 staff each, plus a whole office building in Reading and some more in Soho. They probably do employ more people than several car companies in England but for some reason they aren't seen that way because people who do up bolts in factories are seen as more important than trendy kids in T-shirts.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2017, 03:43 PM

Car companies are seen as big employers. Apple is not seen that way despite their numerous stores with ~100 staff each, plus a whole office building in Reading and some more in Soho.
Not be be pedantic, but I'm pretty sure the big Apple office is in Stockley Part, Uxbridge, not Reading. And they are eventually moving into the old Battersea Power Station.

Apple got a mess of folks in England, but somehow don't generate any profit. It's a mystery.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2017, 10:10 PM

Uxbridge might as well be Reading. I hadn't heard they were moving to Battersea. Isn't that an art gallery? Its convenient being able to drive to Stockley Park. And park there. Though I guess their partner events and therefore guests have dropped off precipitously in more recent years.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Nov 8, 2017, 12:17 AM

Possibly more trouble for Wilbur Ross. It seems he misstated his wealth by $2 Billion. As in, claiming to have $2.9B when he actually only has $700+ million. Oh, and he lied to Forbes to get on their annual list of richest Americans. Not on his disclosures before nomination. I'm not seeing any laws broken by this.

Forbes has dropped him from the list of 400 richest. I wonder if Trump will fire Ross from the cabinet, as the Commerce Secretary is not actually a billionaire.

Guardian story.
Forbes original story. Beware, I hit paywall stuff every time I try to load it.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 12:49 AM

Possibly more trouble for Wilbur Ross. It seems he misstated his wealth by $2 Billion. As in, claiming to have $2.9B when he actually only has $700+ million. Oh, and he lied to Forbes to get on their annual list of richest Americans. Not on his disclosures before nomination.
What did he have to declare for the legal paperwork to get his job as Commerce Secretary? If he was not giving accurate information about his assets, wouldn't that still be considered perjury? Or was it simply that he didn't have to declare his net wealth and assets in such detail?
Forbes has dropped him from the list of 400 richest. I wonder if Trump will fire Ross from the cabinet, as the Commerce Secretary is not actually a billionaire.
Does that mean, Trump has to quit once we discover he isn't a proper billionaire either?

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Nov 8, 2017, 12:55 AM

It appears Ross gave accurate disclosures about his wealth to the government. Forbes noticed the discrepancy when they compared his disclosures to their own files. So Ross lied to Forbes, but not to Congress. Odd, but legal.

I don't know about Trump quitting, but he has said he doesn't want a poor person in charge of the economy. And Ross is worth less than a billion ...

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 03:49 AM

It appears Ross gave accurate disclosures about his wealth to the government. Forbes noticed the discrepancy when they compared his disclosures to their own files. So Ross lied to Forbes, but not to Congress. Odd, but legal.
This is an attitude I don't get: if I were wealthy (and even if you own “only” $700 million, you're doing alright), I wouldn't even want other people to know how much I have, much less brag with it. But it seems that in this respect at least, Ross and Trump are cut from the same cloth.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2017, 06:37 AM

Trump has zero class.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2017, 06:57 AM

This is an attitude I don't get: if I were wealthy (and even if you own “only” $700 million, you're doing alright), I wouldn't even want other people to know how much I have, much less brag with it. But it seems that in this respect at least, Ross and Trump are cut from the same cloth.
After reading the article, his motivation makes complete logical sense. Unethical and weaselly sense, but sense. As his business credibility, and therefore his ability to attract new business/clients, and therefore his potential success, is largely based on his past success, bigging himself up as a savvy and successful investor is an understandable strategy. A dick move, certainly, but understandable.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2017, 06:59 AM

Uxbridge might as well be Reading. I hadn't heard they were moving to Battersea. Isn't that an art gallery? Its convenient being able to drive to Stockley Park. And park there. Though I guess their partner events and therefore guests have dropped off precipitously in more recent years.
Reading is a semi-urban wasteland and Stockley Park is a corporate wasteland with shitty transport links (I used to work just down the industrial estate from Apple). Battersea is at lease iconic and Interesting. I'm not sure if they are planning on closing up Stockley or just consolidating/expanding their London ops.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 07:15 AM

Trump has zero class.
I think the most fitting description of Trump is that he is a poor person's idea of a rich person.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2017, 09:41 AM

Whats really odd is that if I were to use a fuller name like Apple Inc. I could go either way. Its essentially because a company is a group of people when it makes decisions. When you are describing what it is rather than what it does, it becomes a singular entity or institution. It might also be why you guys were able to rule that corporations are people (under certain conditions?). An odd argument I know but the nuances in the way we all understand the same terms differently can be more important than we often realise.
There are reasons and excuses, but it’s just not grammatically correct. The company is choosing to; the directors/shareholders/officers are choosing to...

I’m sure we all know this but hey.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2017, 07:26 PM

Have you seen the show Silicon Valley? There is a hilarious character called Russ Hanniman or something like that who is obsessed with being a billionaire. So funny. Love that show.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2017, 07:40 PM

I think the most fitting description of Trump is that he is a poor person's idea of a rich person.

He's a poor idiot's idea of a rich person.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2017, 07:45 PM

Car companies are seen as big employers. Apple is not seen that way despite their numerous stores with ~100 staff each, plus a whole office building in Reading and some more in Soho. They probably do employ more people than several car companies in England but for some reason they aren't seen that way because people who do up bolts in factories are seen as more important than trendy kids in T-shirts.
The UAW alone has over 400,000 members, most of whom earn $28+/hr plus benefits.

Apple employs 77,000 people, about half of which are store employees making $13-20/hr.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2017, 06:55 AM

Firstly we were talking about the UK, second thats all the car companies together. Hardly a fair comparison.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Apple employs 77,000 people, about half of which are store employees making $13-20/hr.
What about the app and hardware economy that has developed around mobile platforms? There are claims out there, that this creates over 466,000 jobs, although it is hard to get exact numbers. In any case, I won't claim the correct numbers will push past 400,000, but it's definitely more than 77,000.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 9, 2017, 06:15 PM

Firstly we were talking about the UK, second thats all the car companies together. Hardly a fair comparison.
Where's Soho?

What does the UK have to do with comparing factory workers and trendy kids in t-shirts?

What about the app and hardware economy that has developed around mobile platforms? There are claims out there, that this creates over 466,000 jobs, although it is hard to get exact numbers. In any case, I won't claim the correct numbers will push past 400,000, but it's definitely more than 77,000.
You brought up Apple's cash holdings, which is certainly relevant in a conversation about tax avoidance, but not really in a conversation about employment.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2017, 07:00 PM

You brought up Apple's cash holdings, which is certainly relevant in a conversation about tax avoidance, but not really in a conversation about employment.
I just brought it up as a measure of this part of the economy which seems underestimated in politics. You are right that it doesn't equate with employment, in fact, it's one of the reasons that margins are higher if you only look at Apple et al proper.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2017, 08:33 PM

Where's Soho?

What does the UK have to do with comparing factory workers and trendy kids in t-shirts?
Theres an area in London called Soho.

I was just remarking that for some reason when we talk about jobs in UK politics, we talk a lot about car factories but Apple's offices and retail staff get no regard whatsoever. I now think I realise why though so nvm.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2017, 10:51 PM

Theres an area in London called Soho.
Sorry, every search for "Apple Soho" brought up their New York store.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2017, 12:32 AM

They don't advertise their offices at all. I had great difficulty trying to find the switchboard number for Stockley Park last time I lost it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2017, 05:49 AM

Sorry, every search for "Apple Soho" brought up their New York store.
Soho, London
Apple HQ, London (which is technically in Mayfair, not Soho, but only by a half a block or so).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2017, 12:30 PM

Pretty sure they have a building in Soho too. They used to have a legal office in Bristol somewhere too.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Sorry, was late to the circle jerk. Will let you continue masturbating to your partisan moral superiority in peace. Let me know when you're all finished up and I'll come have a smoke with you.

Also will point out that you are displaying the exact behavior that you're preemptively criticizing others for.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Sorry, was late to the circle jerk. Will let you continue masturbating to your partisan moral superiority in peace. Let me know when you're all finished up and I'll come have a smoke with you.
You can't see that the current obsession over Hillary is a distraction fed to Trump supporters by the media, and they're more than happy to lap it up? How long should we be obsessing over Romney or McCain or Kerry or Gore or Dole? Every critique of Trump is met with an accusation about Hillary (or Bill?), as if that matters. Like I said in my other post, Trump supporters are trying to play a "You guys are just as bad card" without realizing the implications.

Also will point out that you are displaying the exact behavior that you're preemptively criticizing others for.
He was pointing out that many conservatives avoid having tough, self-aware conversations by deflecting to an irrelevant political figure. Do you think that pointing out the indiscretions of the current administration is a necessarily partisan move? Can a D criticize an R without you seeing it as a dishonest, partisan statement? Do you not see the difference in focusing on people in power versus focusing on a political nobody?

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Nov 14, 2017, 02:21 PM

Minor development for Ross. Six Senators (all Dems) have asked the Commerce Department's inspector general to look into it. To see if Ross lied about anything, and if his answers/divestitures were adequate when joining the government.

I call it minor because the Senators have not claimed any violation, and no Reps have joined the call. So they dug through the papers, found nothing conclusive yet, and are asking an IG to dig too. The story could change fast if someone finds a solid violation.

OreoCookie
Nov 14, 2017, 07:17 PM

It’s sad that stuff like this is not done on a bipartisan basis: an investigation may actually clear Ross of any wrongdoing and ultimately help him.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2017, 10:08 PM

Good call - what are the chances we can get a bipartisan review for freudling and our former token British rock star?

Forum Links
Forum Rules