Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just a Temperature Check

Just a Temperature Check
alainmeyer1
Jul 3, 2007, 09:26 AM

Hey guys,

Well I just bought my new MacBook Pro, it's awesome. But it's (as people have said) deadly hot. The running temperature is around 60-65C and I wanted to know if I can reduce that, or if it's normal.

Thanks

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 10:43 AM

Mine runs at 50C, download the SMC Fancontrol and increase the fan speed to 3k. Without the fancontrol, my computer runs about 65-70C.

alainmeyer1  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 12:02 PM

Darnit... it says my machine isn't supported :/

Thanks anyway though, anyone know of a fan control supported by the latest MBPs?

alainmeyer1  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 12:18 PM

I downloaded 2.1, and it says my hardware is untested. Do you think it's fine?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 12:56 PM

Wow that's pretty hot! I can't really help you but as a comparison by G4 PowerBook gets to 40C at maximum. Hopefully Apple will have a good solution to this heat problem.

alainmeyer1  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 01:49 PM

Yeah, my old computer was like that, sometimes it was 50c

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by alainmeyer1 View Post
I downloaded 2.1, and it says my hardware is untested. Do you think it's fine?
Give it a shot, i got that same message on my MBP with the first Fancontrol I had (they just released a version for the intel laptops, so it was still fairly new).

malone
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by alainmeyer1 View Post
Hey guys,

Well I just bought my new MacBook Pro, it's awesome. But it's (as people have said) deadly hot. The running temperature is around 60-65C and I wanted to know if I can reduce that, or if it's normal.

Thanks
Heya all,

I've been watching these threads about the new MBPs and heat fairly closely (New 2.2/2.4 MBP's Get REALLY Hot?? and Horrible Thermal Paste in Brand New MBP in particular). Together with my own bit of research, I've come to the following conclusions:
  1. The MBPs get very hot (~80C under heavy load).
  2. This is okay/normal.
  3. Okay/normal as it may be, cooler is better.

In particular, you may want to check out this summary table of the maximum heat these CPUs are built to sustain:
Processor Electrical Specifications

Specifically, desktop processors and early mobile processors are not designed to sustain as much heat as some of the newer ones. The Intel Mobile C2D 2.2 and 2.4 GHz processors as used in the latest MBPs are built to take 100C (compare to their desktop cousins, which are only designed to take up to ~60C). 80C is well under 100C, so while cooler is still better, the heat isn't a grave concern nor outside the prescribed boundaries.

Hope this helps everyone a bit.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by malone View Post
the heat isn't a grave concern nor outside the prescribed boundaries.
I can't speak for everyone else but I'm not really concerned about the laptop dying or being harmed by the heat because I'm hoping Apple tested that before releasing it out into the wild. I'm more concerned about my comfort level about sitting so close to a furnace.

Even though my laptop runs cooler than the reported temperatures of the new MBPs, I still have to place something in between my computer and body in order to use it on my lap. If I don't then my legs would burn after a few minutes. I always prefer to place my laptop on a table or something when I can. Also in the summer the surface area where I place my palms can get a little warm after a few hours. I'm sure these problems are worst on the new MBPs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules