Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Windows-Mac querie

Windows-Mac querie
horizon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 07:43 AM

O.K, I imagine that this is a fairly straight forward question but I'm damned if I can find the answer....! I've connected my PBook to the network at work, I've used Directory access to give it the correct workgroup name and everything seems to be working fine if a little slowly-the other comps seem to dissappear every now and again which has me puzzled (..we use WINS without a DNS here in case you boffins can explain it!).

I'll cut to the chase now...when I go to a wintel box and the Network Neighbourhood I see my machine along with all the rest......I click on it and it asks for a username and password.....I now enter a username and password to any of the accounts I've created on the PB and I'm logged in...agreed this is all fairly basic stuff but how do I log off that account from the wintel machine??? If I close the Network Browser and return later-on when I click on my machines icon I'm automatically taken to the account I logged into originally, no passwords req'd.

Cheers if you can help out with this...

Steve

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 04:18 PM

This is a "feature" of 10.3... if you use the same login and password on both your windows and OS X user accounts, you only need to login once from the windows machine, and OS X will allow access from that account on that machine without another login. There doesn't appear to be an option to turn this feature off, but Apple ought to make the option available. You shouldn't worry, because no one can access your Mac from another windows account, only from within your windows user account. So, don't forget to log out.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 03:39 PM

I have a question for you I do not have a password on my PC or my iBook. I access files on the iBook from my PC but I cannot get onto my PC from the iBook. It ask me for my id and password when I leave it blank for the password it will not let me in. Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules