Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving Preview to another folder

Moving Preview to another folder
meem
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2005, 12:51 PM

So I am getting extremely annoyed with PDFs JPEgs and the like opening up in preview instead of Acrobat or Photoshop. I have done the thing where you control+option click a file to have it Always open with and using Get info with change all button. But it doesn't stick. sometimes it may last a little while but usually stops when I download a pdf or jpeg.

If I move the preview application to another folder/drive will the default application remain when I change it to the program I want cuz the osx cant find it ( I say this cuz ive heard apple apps should remain in Applications folder. Can I delete the thing altogether? has anybody done this?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by meem:
So I am getting extremely annoyed with PDFs JPEgs and the like opening up in preview instead of Acrobat or Photoshop. I have done the thing where you control+option click a file to have it Always open with and using Get info with change all button. But it doesn't stick. sometimes it may last a little while but usually stops when I download a pdf or jpeg.

If I move the preview application to another folder/drive will the default application remain when I change it to the program I want cuz the osx cant find it ( I say this cuz ive heard apple apps should remain in Applications folder. Can I delete the thing altogether? has anybody done this?
The setting you're using does "always open with" for that particular file. You need to do a "get info" and select "open all applications of this type with..." which will fix your problem.

That said, you could move it or delete it (a better solution might be to zip/archive it), and it would solve the problem. It's the wrong approach though. Do what I noted above.

meem  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2005, 01:32 PM

I did the Get Info >change all approach it doesn't stick. especially for newly created/downloaded PDF's.

if you are talking about something other than this please lemme know

I will try the archiving thing if not.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2005, 07:10 PM

See if this article helps (hint: type and creator codes are still around).

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules