Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star. Trek. vs. Lost. In. Space. Capt. and. Starman. Show

Star. Trek. vs. Lost. In. Space. Capt. and. Starman. Show (Page 9)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2017, 02:19 PM

Needs moar lens flare.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Worse, he was never really that interesting anyway.
True. The Sarek/Picard arc, where Sarek was losing his mind (I think it was called Bendai syndrome), was the best for him, the others are bleh.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2017, 02:44 AM

Garrett Wang did a live Twitch stream today.

He said he was approached to do Ax*r but when he found out that AP wrote in it and was starring in it, he declined. GW said that if they got someone else to play Garth, he'd do it. GW suggested Christian Slater which never happened because CBS.

Slater's a foot shorter than Garth in TOS.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 04:45 PM

Well, there's some juicy Axatard news. The script was posted on FB. You can find that here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/axam...7968543384667/

Apparently AP decided to throw people under the bus. Terry says "The donor records will be released in the next few days".

And of course, the awesome Discovery trailer dropped

( Last edited by starman; Jul 27, 2017 at 04:59 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 07:16 PM

Yep, another JJ action-flare-Trek. Meh, pass.

Also, WTF did they do to the Klingons? That's awful.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 07:28 PM

I had heard people complaining about the Kingons, and was wondering what the beef is.

I don't have a problem with them messing around with the Klingons, but their choice is kinda generic, no?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 07:49 PM

I've mentioned before I'm a big fan of the FASA role playing game canon for Star Trek, but I guess Roddenberry hated it, and personally saw to it they lost the license.

John Ford did their Klingon stuff (he also wrote "The Final Reflection"), and came up with these two bits.

He explained the Klingons from TOS as Klingons gene-spliced with humans. I forget why the Kingons did this. I recall the answer as not seeming particularly Klingon, but at least he tried.

Much better was the "behind the scenes" he generated to make this insanely warlike society function as an advanced, interstellar civilization.

Short form: we only see Klingons of the warrior class. There are, say, Klingon scientists. Being such is considered honorable, and that clan's warrior class is honor bound to protect them.

Last Unicorn picked up the license next, and just had the Klingons steal everything.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 08:06 PM

The whole thing reeks of "all sizzle, no substance", to me. I understand that they need to deal with the ADHD generation, but c'mon. While JJ's Trek movies are decent enough diversions, making an action-focused TV series probably won't work. Character-building and crew relationships (with a healthy dose of futuristic tech and exploration) make for great Trek, not loads of combat.

Also, people have been speculating that the Captain is trans. WTF? In the distant future, with all that advanced medical technology, they haven't worked that out and corrected people's sexes properly by the time they're adults? Sex changes in other the Trek series are nothing more than outpatient procedures (including Enterprise, the earliest one), it isn't a thing. It's a major fail if they try to shoehorn that in.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 08:19 PM

[Rubs hands together]

During the Doctor Who discussion I really wanted to bring up Star Trek, but restrained myself.

Star Trek is like, the worst offender when it comes to presenting ideas, and then not taking them to their obvious conclusion. Almost every episode they introduce some universe shattering technology which then proceeds to suffer mysterious existence failure.

In Star Trek, anyone who was so inclined could flip genders back and forth on a whim. Up to and including the underlying biology.

Which would be the tip of the iceberg, because you could also become a cat or a fish or a sentient fungus.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 08:23 PM

Because of that, the TNG episode where Crusher's love interest flips genders and she freaks has always stuck in my craw.

That, and them not having the stones to carry through with men in dresses like they had in the pilot.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 09:54 PM

Most women I know can't stand wearing dresses, so I can see why a man wouldn't either. Personally, I can't even stand wearing a kilt for long. When I get sweaty my thighs stick to everything, it's nasty.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
[Rubs hands together]

During the Doctor Who discussion I really wanted to bring up Star Trek, but restrained myself.

Star Trek is like, the worst offender when it comes to presenting ideas, and then not taking them to their obvious conclusion. Almost every episode they introduce some universe shattering technology which then proceeds to suffer mysterious existence failure.

In Star Trek, anyone who was so inclined could flip genders back and forth on a whim. Up to and including the underlying biology.

Which would be the tip of the iceberg, because you could also become a cat or a fish or a sentient fungus.
This was NOT something that happened in TOS, it was in TNG and later. I keep saying the same thing - here's tech that would save the universe which magically never gets used again in future episodes. So frustrating.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Most women I know can't stand wearing dresses, so I can see why a man wouldn't either. Personally, I can't even stand wearing a kilt for long. When I get sweaty my thighs stick to everything, it's nasty.
The women didn't have a choice. Roddenberry wanted to ogle their gams.

This means the men don't have a choice either. That's how egalitarian utopias work.

I've never given in and gotten a utilikilt. For the reasons I'd wear a utilikilt, I normally wear cargo shorts, which aren't so hot in the thigh department to begin with. I'd be curious how much of a loss it'd be.

Not curious enough to buy one though. I don't want to go through making sure I get the measurements right, while I know milspec medium fits, I can order wherever, and then not think about it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
This was NOT something that happened in TOS, it was in TNG and later. I keep saying the same thing - here's tech that would save the universe which magically never gets used again in future episodes. So frustrating.
I had TNG in mind when I made the comment.

One of my favorite examples was the Flowers for Broccoli episode where the holodeck makes him godlike.

Geordi is crawling around in some service tunnel trying to short the holodeck, and also talking with Barclay to distract him.

Barclay says "I see the entire universe as one equation, and it's so simple!"

This is what should have happened.

1) Really? What is it?
2) Scribble scribble
3) Rest of episode
4) Profit... is evil!!! There will be none of that here!!!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2017, 05:48 AM

I've heard the argument that what was "simple" to Barclay, at that time, would have filled up a large text book. ex. You can say E=MC2 as part of explaining special relativity, but then it takes 2 years of commentary.

(I still would have gotten out the 24th century equiv of a sharpy and written whatever he told me on the bulkhead, just in case.)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2017, 09:06 AM

[Rubs hands together]

Because of that, the TNG episode where Crusher's love interest flips genders and she freaks has always stuck in my craw.

That, and them not having the stones to carry through with men in dresses like they had in the pilot.
There was the TNG episode where Picard violated the Prime Directive and imposed polygamy on a society.

I was checking out Hulu last week an noticed "Lost in Space" is now available to stream. Included was the unaired pilot. It is almost identical to the aired first episode, minus Dr Smith and the Robot (B9). The other difference was the amount of time it was going to take to get there, 98 years vs 5.5 years.

One thing that struck me that didn't when I was a kid. If they were being sent to colonize a planet, why was there only one family? Major West and Judy could get together, but who were Will and Penny supposed to hook up with?
45/47

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2017, 09:24 AM

The OTHER colonizers. Part of the commentary at the beginning was "the first of thousands of colonists leaving our already overcrowded planet"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
The OTHER colonizers. Part of the commentary at the beginning was "the first of thousands of colonists leaving our already overcrowded planet"
It was up to 10 million, but that was before they became 'Lost in Space"

The meteor storm looked like balls of tinfoil.

Another thing I noticed about the unaired pilot. The title music was from "The Day the Earth Stood Still". John Williams scored the music for the rest of the run.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2017, 01:08 PM

I think the idea was this way, when they got to the colony they'd have a car.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It was up to 10 million, but that was before they became 'Lost in Space"

The meteor storm looked like balls of tinfoil.

Another thing I noticed about the unaired pilot. The title music was from "The Day the Earth Stood Still". John Williams scored the music for the rest of the run.
yep the meteors WERE balls of tinfoil. 4 foot diameter "Gemini 12" model hung by wires and several stage hands dropped the balls from above.

Here is a friends YouTube vid about the SPFX model. I have a 4 foot Jupiter 2 hull, which is different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMa4c_NNyg&t=332s

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
yep the meteors WERE balls of tinfoil. 4 foot diameter "Gemini 12" model hung by wires and several stage hands dropped the balls from above.

Here is a friends YouTube vid about the SPFX model. I have a 4 foot Jupiter 2 hull, which is different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMa4c_NNyg&t=332s
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules