Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which iMac to buy and when - advice needed.

Which iMac to buy and when - advice needed.
Hannard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 03:16 PM

I've been using a Mac Mini G4 for a couple of years and I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac, an Intel one. But I'm pretty undecided which to get. I've got the following options. I an

1) Buy an ex-display previous gen 20 inch 2.16 iMac from a local store.
The store has one that's ex-display, going for £750. Thing is, I know it's been turned on every day for about six months, so it's been in more or less constant use. On the plus side, I know it's got no dead pixels. Although the X1600 graphics card isn't as good as current range, I only really want it to be able to play Half Life 2 in XP mode. Any other games don't really matter much.

2)Buy a refurb of the above, but from Apple's web-store.

3)Buy, instore, a new unused 24 inch 2.16 previous gen for £1000.
This has a 7300GT graphics card, which is apparently slightly more powerful than the X1600. But then again, I suspect it'll be too big. I tried sticking my 26 inch LCD TV on my desk to get an idea of how big the iMac might look on my desk, and it seemed too big.

4)Wait to see if an iMac Aluminium comes out with a matte screen option. I know some people aren't bothered by the glossy screen but I've looked around and I definitely would only buy the current gen with a matte screen. This would likely cost about £950/

Buying a new Mac Mini is right out since the graphics cards are so poor. If only Apple would put a decent graphics card, or even an X1600 graphics card in, I'd have one of these.

Anyone got any thoughts on what to do? Get one of the previous gen models? Wait?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 03:55 PM

Three

(would be '3', but the forums don't allow that )

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 05:34 PM

I agree 3) but crikes you are paying over the top for the previous model in the UK.

Wait, is also a good option. Apple may respond to the criticism of the current shiny iMacs and at worst you will pick up the previous model even cheaper in the post Xmas sales.

At least you will get Leopard chucked in or a cheap update.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Hannard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 06:44 PM

Yeah, it might be worth waiting. My Mac Mini's still working fine. I think if the in-store iMac 20 goes down to 550, I'll have it. Otherwise, I'll leave it for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules