Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > VPN/Screen sharing from Mac to iPad1?

VPN/Screen sharing from Mac to iPad1?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2016, 11:59 AM

I'm trying to share my Mac's screen over wifi on my local network to my first gen iPad. But i cant seem to find a decent, free VPN app for the iPad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Essentially, i want to control and view my Mac's screen from my iPad only on my local network.

Cheers

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 5, 2016, 12:17 PM

The iOS 5 limitation is going to be a real problem. I'll see what I can find.

MisterEqual
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2016, 12:37 AM

I, too, would like to do this. I carry both my MB Pro and iPad with me everywhere I go and it would be great if I could somehow extend my MB's screen onto the iPad or otherwise control the iPad screen. I also carry a bluetooth keyboard for the ipad but it's becoming confusing and tedius to continually switch between the two.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 12, 2016, 07:51 AM

GOOD and FREE are two entirely different things with these apps, it seems. I'll sic my head review guy on a bunch of them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2016, 12:11 PM

I don't know of any free solution, but for what it's worth, most VNC clients on iOS suck.

Here is what does works (and it works even on iOS 5), I have been using it for years:

iTeleport | Home

Pros:
It's hand down the best VNC / Remote Access implementation there is on iOS (they even have a patent on the touchscreen implementation)
SSH encrypted transmission
Can access Macs and Windows
Works from inside your WLAN, as well as from outside (e.g. connected on any WiFi, or 3/4G)

Only Con:
Costs $25

Seriously though, for me, this was the best $25 I ever spent for an iOS app. I wouldn't miss it.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules